TOMB RAIDER Reboot (49% Rotten Tomatoes Score)

If you have seen TOMB RAIDER (2018), how would you rate it?

• Total voters
1280_alicia_vikander_instar_ed2dffcf441_EMBED.jpg

Read the thread

You are just reposting shit

I don't get the obsession some people have with an R-rating, like slapping an R-rating on a film and upping the violence always makes for a better movie.

Would Indiana Jones have been better with an R-rating? What about The Mummy with Brendan Fraser?
I dunno man, PG-13 violence is just so boring to me.

Yes, Indiana Jones and The Mummy would have been better with some F bombs and gratuitous violence and nudity imo.

I'm a very jaded movie goer if you couldn't tell. :rolleyes:

I am not trolling at all and what you are saying now has no basis on what we are talking about.

thats cool that they copied the game but that doesnt mean that its not over the top which it clearly fucking is. Not even in the slightest is there realism in this film.

The game is over the top too but its a game, Im playing it. Theres a difference between games and movies...are you trolling me?

If i watch a Grand theft auto movie am i going to say how realistic it is because the movie shows him jack 50 cars and kill hundreds of people while being shot and healing himself with medi packs?

come on buddy the movie was way over the top, sorry you cant see that

Everything I said has a basis to this conversation. Context always matters, which is why I compared it with many other action films. The film was trying to stay as true as possible to a couple of the game scenes, and they did so while still being more realistic than most films in that genre. That's the point I was making.

If you truly feel this movie was just ridiculously over the top to the point of comparing it to the Fast and Furious films, then there's no changing your mind. The film had problems such as having a boring generic story and weak supporting characters, but I honestly don't see it being Fast and Furious on an Island. In terms of realism, I think they did the best job they could possibly do.

Perhaps you're right though, and maybe I'm the only one who doesn't see it. Would be a first since I'm usually very critical of over the top bs.

I dunno man, PG-13 violence is just so boring to me.

Yes, Indiana Jones and The Mummy would have been better with some F bombs and gratuitous violence and nudity imo.

I'm a very jaded movie goer if you couldn't tell. :rolleyes:

For me, those films are a lot more about plot and tone and fun factor than they are about being violent.

If you make them overly violent and profane then that totally changes the tone, and not in a good way in my opinion.

I like the "fun for the whole family" feel they have.

Doesn't mean I think that's right for every franchise. Every Terminator film should be rated R, for instance. But for Indy and his imitators? Yeah, I don't need things to get too serious.

I don't get the obsession some people have with an R-rating, like slapping an R-rating on a film and upping the violence always makes for a better movie.

Would Indiana Jones have been better with an R-rating? What about The Mummy with Brendan Fraser?

It's a huge, huge debate in aestheticism that has been around as long as storytelling has existed

"Does the storyteller/painter/writer/creator have an obligation to their accounts of dark events/violent struggles to depict them strongly, or can they soften the horrors of any conflict to highlight lighter more positive aspects?"

early westerns purposefully didn't highlight the violence of gunfights -- they often used bloodless stunt-falls or flies off-camera to highlight instead the heroism in defeating bad people, not the darker aspects of death or killing

later westerns began to depict more violent realism, gut-shots, screaming/writhing in agony, tortures, executions etc.

two different lenses on the same story exist there:

One philosophy, that the story of classic struggles should remain weighted on the good that can come from fighting in struggles.

The other philosophy, that the story of classic struggles should remain weighted on the tragedies that come from fighting in struggles.

Both can be extremely effective, applied to any genre

I liked the movie and will watch again a few times when it comes on cable. I was worried to be let down because it might not compare to Jolie’s Tomb Raider but this felt like a completely different movie. Good in its own way, not as good as the original but good enough to keep me entertained and wanting a sequel.

Not sure I'd use the Indy films as an example, there was always talk back in the day that they got away with rather a lot without an R rating, moreso than you might be able to anymore. I'm thinking the Nazi face melting or hearts being ripped out both of which do benefit the films.

We didn't see Willie Scott wearing her jewels to bed and nothing else though I spose or else the character might be rather more popular around here. <45>

Last edited:
I'd take Alicia over that stick figure with boltons who starred in the first two TR movies.

youre tripping. shes just the flavor of the week. She has nothing on prime angelina

youre tripping. shes just the flavor of the week. She has nothing on prime angelina
I don't think Angelina ever had a prime. She's alway looked way too much like her dad for my taste. Never been my cup of tea.

Tomb Raider has lost the plot. We want triangle boobs!

Gurl isn't hot enough for me to stare at a lame premise for 2hrs.

she looks like a man with hair on her head. Not appealing in the slightest

angelina is not super hot perse to me but shes definitely hotter in almost ever category. Prettier face better body, bigger tits and ass. Prettier eyes, face, lips

angelina-jolie-career-statistics-1024x466.jpg

angelina-jolie-workout1.jpg

angelina_jolie1a_300x400.jpg

Angelina-Jolie-2-beautiful-female-celebrities-35406318-1400-1752.jpg

I can't tell if you're trolling me or not. Have you not even seen the source material here? The boat scene was basically identical except in the movie she just jumped off the ship into the water (which was way more realistic than the game). Ship was hitting rocks and she jumped off before it completely broke apart. It definitely wasn't over the top to the point of being ridiculous.

The river escape to the plane was also almost identical to the game, except in the game she was shooting debris in the river with a gun to get through it, and she had time to put the parachute on. There has to be some wow factor, but you're acting as if what she's doing is some insane supernatural shit which bends the concept of reality. That parachute scene was crazy, but it was actually tame compared to most action movies.

What action movies are more realistic? The old Die Hard movies? Mission Impossible movies? The Transporter films? John Wick 1 or 2? The Bourne movies? Or maybe the Bond films? Now those all have scenes way more ridiculous than this film, and this shit is based on a video game.

vs

That's pretty cool, I never played the game and I've never seen the original movies with Jolie. Thanks for posting that. I enjoyed the movie, and I'm really digging Vikander, thought she was great for this role. They've set up for the sequel so hopefully the box office numbers will let them pull the trigger for the sequel. Also, thought Goggins and the dude from The Wire were great in this as well, forget his name and too lazy to look it up

Not a bad adventure movie. There isn't really a whole lot to say about it. Alicia Vikander is stunning, that's the only thing that really stuck out.

Temple of Doom should've absolutely been rated R. Especially in 1984. They fucked up with the rating for that one.

And are you saying the Mummy wouldn't be a better movie with Rachel Weisz's tits in it?

Can you honestly think of an R movie that should've been PG-13 instead? Because I can think of plenty of the reverse.

And are you saying the Mummy wouldn't be a better movie with Rachel Weisz's tits in it?

Call me old fashioned but I don't really think that women should be getting naked on camera unless there's a damn good reason for it. I always lose a little bit of respect for them when they do.

Can you honestly think of an R movie that should've been PG-13 instead? Because I can think of plenty of the reverse.

Not sure, but I can say that I think Jurassic Park works a lot better as the family-friendly movie that it is than it would as a hard-R horror picture.

Everything I said has a basis to this conversation. Context always matters, which is why I compared it with many other action films. The film was trying to stay as true as possible to a couple of the game scenes, and they did so while still being more realistic than most films in that genre. That's the point I was making.

If you truly feel this movie was just ridiculously over the top to the point of comparing it to the Fast and Furious films, then there's no changing your mind. The film had problems such as having a boring generic story and weak supporting characters, but I honestly don't see it being Fast and Furious on an Island. In terms of realism, I think they did the best job they could possibly do.

Perhaps you're right though, and maybe I'm the only one who doesn't see it. Would be a first since I'm usually very critical of over the top bs.

I really, really enjoyed the action and thought the writing was a lot better than I had expected. They made her really human. The final escape scene was definitely over the top and maybe too CGI heavy, but it was a fantastic nod to the video game.

I enjoyed the film, was impressed in general, and hope there are more.

Back