Tony Ferguson Contemplating Joining a Gym/Team after KO Loss

better late than never. Tony’s last 3 fights ended badly but in the 1st round against chandler he showed that he can still strike at an elite level. Ppl say he has no chin but that kick probably would have still landed and Ko’d him 5 years ago.

Reading this made me feel very weird about you for writing it and for the way you did write it.

I hope you are ok bud.
Thanks for the concern. I'm sorry if the way I wrote this came across as confusing. It was random and maybe not the proper place to expand on an epiphany I had a couple weeks ago.

Idk man.

Perhaps it could do something, but for what? For like 2-3 more fights? He should be wrapping ip his career not making a resurgence.

Maybe training with Chandler in SoFlo would be a nice change from the stuff out west and would provide a plethora of elite sparring partners.

If he did stay west, Id like to see him at Kings, Cejudo’s, or in Vegas.

Maybe he should take Charles offer to train with him. But like others said, it may be a little too late. He did look good in round one against Chandler though.

when your aura of invincibility was conjured up by your ability to absorb punishment and eventually outwill and outwork your opponents,

moments like this can mean only one thing...
giphy.gif

I'm not saying it won't help.
Or that he didn't look good before the crazy finish...

I just don't know where tony goes from here.

I love how seriously Khabib took his questions and gave him some insane but effective advice of getting a pitbull to aide him in beating up Masvidal. The man always has a game plan.

Still rooting for the crazy mofo. Hopefully he can learn a thing or two from a gym and get somewhat back on track

Tony-Ferg.jpg

krwpooqni9331.jpg

Never forget the victims of El Cucuy

Last edited:
Most people that train at a lot of gyms are looking for different styles and techniques to learn/train/spar with. It's not about time machines. Most go to train/spar with specific fighters/trainers/coaches from those gyms. If you only train at the same gym with the same people every day, you will become stagnant. It's the same thing everyday and you'll already know everyone's strengths and weaknesses.

I meant when a previously successful fighter who has been with the same gym a same team for all his career gets a few loses on his late 30s and decides to switch gym looking for something that doesn't exist

Please feed Tony a can so he can elbow them to a bloody pulp and go out on a high note.

Really feeling from the way he’s been talking and looking lately that he’s going through some mental stuff right now. Sucks because he was competitive until he got caught. Give him a tune up fight
Ironic chuck hugged him after the fight as Chuck looked great before he was finished in his last fight vs Rich Franklin too. That makes it harder to accept. Tony is done but does not want to admit it - age has caught up finally.

This would have been a good idea 7-8 years ago, not so much now when he's in the twilight of his career. If anything, it shows that he's doubting himself and has lost confidence. Not a good sign.

I mean I dont see how it could do him any harm compared to still doing his own thing in the woods.

I meant when a previously successful fighter who has been with the same gym a same team for all his career gets a few loses on his late 30s and decides to switch gym looking for something that doesn't exist
That could also be the reason for the losses. The gym could be the reason that fighter is stagnant. Maybe they learned all they could already from that gym and that's why they aren't evolving anymore. Maybe the training/sparring/coaching at the gym isn't at the level of their competition and need better higher level training/sparring/coaching. That's the reason I see most people switch gyms or start training at other gyms. It's the reason why Conor is stagnant and has been for the past couple of years because he won't expand his training. It's the reason for Ronda's downfall. These gyms can't train/teach what they don't know, don't understand, and can't do.

GSP is the best example, he never limited his training to one gym. He understood that would be limiting his potential.

Up until 2 years ago he was doing great. Sad he never got a title shot.

That being said there's tons of interesting fights left for him. None of them need to be against the meat grinder contenders at this point, though. He just isn't title contention status -- he can obviously be competitive with the top guys, but doesn't appear he can score a W. At his age, just time to accept fun fights.

Cowboy, Nick Diaz @ 170, Lauzon, Diego, Guida...idk, just fights people will like to watch.

That should have happened years ago, Tony should have never trained with his “yes man” buddies as a pro.
Actually that's how boxers train, none really train in a team environment since it's an individual sport. Most train with the whole focus on them. They just bring in sparring partners or go to other gyms for sparring, but all the training is specific to them only. Ferguson has the right idea, he just started later trying to be a technical boxer and 10th planet bjj guy. He can't expect to pick up all the details in pure boxing in a couple of fight camps.

He had Roach as his coach, he had the best possible boxing coach he could get. He just needs more time training with Roach and sparring with the boxers at Wild Card to improve his boxing game. Askren did something similar where he just went into Wild Card for a few days and did some light sparring and thinking he would be ready for Jake Paul. That's not any really serious type of training. I've never seen footage of Tony sparring at Wild Card, if he isn't, that's the reason why his boxing isn't improving. It's like Woodley only doing pad work with Floyd's pad holder, but not doing any sparring with boxers at TMT or any other pure boxing gym vs high level pro boxers. Pad work alone isn't enough.

Also Bravo is legit when it comes to BJJ, but don't expect striking advice from him in a mostly stand up fight. To me he should keep those 2 and have someone else that covers mma striking and mma grappling as well. I feel those were the parts of his game he wasn't focusing on with his corner/coaches.

If only Tony started thinking like this 6 years ago.

He looked amazing in the first round. Vintage el cucuy stuff

if he’s willing to fight lower tier comp then let him do that

Tony would still beat the fuck outta half the signed LW roster

Actually that's how boxers train, none really train in a team environment since it's an individual sport. Most train with the whole focus on them. They just bring in sparring partners or go to other gyms for sparring, but all the training is specific to them only. Ferguson has the right idea, he just started later trying to be a technical boxer and 10th planet bjj guy. He can't expect to pick up all the details in pure boxing in a couple of fight camps.

He had Roach as his coach, he had the best possible boxing coach he could get. He just needs more time training with Roach and sparring with the boxers at Wild Card to improve his boxing game. Askren did something similar where he just went into Wild Card for a few days and did some light sparring and thinking he would be ready for Jake Paul. That's not any really serious type of training. I've never seen footage of Tony sparring at Wild Card, if he isn't, that's the reason why his boxing isn't improving. It's like Woodley only doing pad work with Floyd's pad holder, but not doing any sparring with boxers at TMT or any other pure boxing gym vs high level pro boxers. Pad work alone isn't enough.

Also Bravo is legit when it comes to BJJ, but don't expect striking advice from him in a mostly stand up fight. To me he should keep those 2 and have someone else that covers mma striking and mma grappling as well. I feel those were the parts of his game he wasn't focusing on with his corner/coaches.
It's so sad with Woodley. He looked good doing pad and legit looked like he had some skills in thy boxing department.

It's so sad with Woodley. He looked good doing pad and legit looked like he had some skills in thy boxing department.
He has skills, he just needed to put it together better. He wasn't getting that kind of work because he wasn't doing the sparring. If he did he would've been the favorite vs Jake Paul. I'm not sure why he isn't doing any boxing sparring, but to me that's the reason his boxing level was behind Jake Paul's - Jake was actually sparring with world champion boxers and other high level boxers.

Even in mma, if someone only does pad work and no sparring, they aren't going to be able to really put that together in a fight. Especially if the pad work doesn't replicate movements in a fight. A lot of Woodley's pad work is more for volume, speed, arm conditioning. It's the same that Floyd uses, but Floyd has decades of sparring experience. His pad work just keeps his hands sharp and conditioned. Woodley doesn't have that same type of boxing experience and that pad work alone won't transfer over to actual fights that well.

This is why fighters also have issues with fighters that use footwork/movement, because their pad holders are all stationary and also have issues with range because they are throwing from so far away from the pad holder that they subconsciously get used to the distance the pad holder is when they do pad work. Like what happened with Maycee Barber vs Grasso when she was throwing punches from 10 feet away. A lot of pad holders don't replicate fighting combinations/movement that well. None of it resembles what happens in the fight and that's why they can't transfer over that pad work into the actual fight.

Last edited:
Far too late in his career to make a pivotal change such as that. The camp is not the issue now, it's the degradation that comes with age and wear. Not sure Tony will be willing to fight a lower ranked fighter where he has a chance of being more competitive. And for that reason he'll likely end up going out on a loss.

Back