Too many ‘brave corners’ in MMA

Late Starter

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Looking at Calvin Kattar’s prolonged absence and the number of strikes absorbed during his fight against Max Holloway got me thinking that MMA really needs to learn from boxing when it comes to defending your fighter.

I can think of several other high profile recent examples where damaged fighters were sent out to absorb more punishment in fights they had close to zero chance of winning.

Someone on Instagram tried to claim that being withdrawn by your corner exempts a fighter from performance bonuses. I don’t know whether this is accurate (it’s dangerously irresponsible if it is) but, either way, MMA cornermen need to learn when their athlete has taken enough.

All I'll say is if you're fighting back it's not the ref's job to stop it. No matter how badly you're getting pieced up. It's up to the corner or the fighter to end it. Can't believe some were blaming Herb(I think it was him).

Corner should've stopped it imo because a beating like that will alter a fighter's trajectory and he wasn't coming back from that.

We're bystanders, not professionals. I dont think its gonna get any more arrogant than thinking: 'I know it better than a professional mma corner how to do their job'. Just let them do what they wanna do, we're not that clever.

Looking at Calvin Kattar’s prolonged absence and the number of strikes absorbed during his fight against Max Holloway got me thinking that MMA really needs to learn from boxing when it comes to defending your fighter.

I can think of several other high profile recent examples where damaged fighters were sent out to absorb more punishment in fights they had close to zero chance of winning.

Someone on Instagram tried to claim that being withdrawn by your corner exempts a fighter from performance bonuses. I don’t know whether this is accurate (it’s dangerously irresponsible if it is) but, either way, MMA cornermen need to learn when their athlete has taken enough.

The difference is, in boxing, you can't make a comeback most of the time. If you're fucked, you're fucked.

In MMA, you could be half dead, one legged and still accidentally KO your opponent. That's why they don't give up.

For example Lewis vs Drago, in boxing they would've thrown the towel. But in MMA, Lewis somehow won that fight.

Or remember in Nog vs Mir 2, Nog murdered Mir. He knocked him the fuck out, Mir rolled around semi-asleep, and somehow woke up with a limb in his hands and won via sub.

Crazy shit happens in MMA.

We're bystanders, not professionals. I dont think its gonna get any more arrogant than thinking: 'I know it better than a professional mma corner how to do their job'. Just let them do what they wanna do, we're not that clever.
Maybe we should shut the forum in that case? I tell you who are experts though and do know better: boxing corners.

The difference is, in boxing, you can't make a comeback most of the time. If you're fucked, you're fucked.

In MMA, you could be half dead, one legged and still accidentally KO your opponent. That's why they don't give up.

literally no evidence to back that up. If anything, I suspect the stats would show that there are far more late rounds stoppages in boxing anyway.

That "win bonus" kinda thwarts your philosophy. That coupling with low fighter pay as is.

All I'll say is if you're fighting back it's not the ref's job to stop it. No matter how badly you're getting pieced up. It's up to the corner or the fighter to end it. Can't believe some were blaming Herb(I think it was him).

Corner should've stopped it imo because a beating like that will alter a fighter's trajectory and he wasn't coming back from that.

Both a role in fighter safety. Fighters often need saving from themselves and brave cornermen can be incredibly dangerous.

Just remember the first time I saw a towel thrown in MMA. Cabagge was standing just eating shots from Sylvia.One of the cornermen had to jump over the fence to do it. You don't see stuff like that often.

literally no evidence to back that up. If anything, I suspect the stats would show that there are far more late rounds stoppages in boxing anyway.
I wrote a couple of examples in my prevous post.

Also, don't start that evidence shit with me, if you want to have a nice little talk that's fine.

Otherwise where's your evidence?

Cmon scientist, show us some stats n shit. Show us some recording.

I want data, and not like 3-4 examples, I want a nice little sample size like at least 20-30% of all UFC fights so far.

Get to work.

You started this thread, start proving shit.

There's not much regulation for mma corners. Mike Perry had his gf and was auctioning off a corner spot. So take that for what it's worth. There's quality corners, and some not so quality corners.

It’s MMA, you fight until the ref says so.

MiserlyAbandonedGyrfalcon-size_restricted.gif

Pros take brain damage just like amateurs, tbh. I'm not sure their pro experience has any bearing on their ability to predict how much damage someone's brain can withstand.

And when these fighters are older and no longer close to their previous teams, and having neurological or other brain related problems, I don't know if knowing they were in the hands of pros will soothe their concerns. If we were talking about neurologists and brains scientists in their corners I'd agree, but these guys are MMA trainers, not brain doctors.

Just remember the first time I saw a towel thronw in MMA. Cabagge was standing just eating shots from Sylvia.One of the cornermen had to jump over the fence to do it. You don't see stuff like that often.

To be honest, in most of the examples I could name the towel wouldn’t make a difference anyway as the fighter could be pulled between rounds

Its tough cause some guys take beatings and come back stronger like Lewis or Arturo Gatti but you really gotta know your fighter too. Its better to err on side of caution though nowadays with what we know about brain science as compared to say 50 years ago. That said, its always been known that getting hit in the head for a living is bad for your health.

Sure, I absolutely agree more corners need to take charge and stop fights when they're fighter has taken too much damage and is not in the fight at all.

That is what Jason did for BJ during the 2nd GSP fight and it got turned around in to Penn quitting - so I can see why fighters and corners don't do it more often. You get branded a quitter even though your corner pulled the plug.

Unfortunately, it will probably take a serious injury before cornermen choose to “err on the side of caution,” especially in a 15 minute fight.

In boxing, the point in the fight where a fighter can only win by KO or at least a couple knockdowns can come at the halfway point. If a trainer’s fighter isn’t a big puncher or is getting swept for the first 7 or 8 rounds, it is a lot easier to make that call...

Again, this thread is a shining example.

Guys who've never been in a gym let alone a fight (amateur or pro in any discipline) will go on about "its a fight" "let the bodies hit the floor - while I'm stuff my fat face on the couch" "Go till the ref stops it" will then call the fighters quitters.

nothing is more disrespectful than protecting a fighter, you can't understand a warrior's pride.

images

20.jpg

6.jpg

10.jpg

14.jpg

imagine if an idiot interferes in Big Nog vs. Sapp Pride best fight.

DqUrUVw.gif

Back