Tools that you hate

Get an electric chainsaw. I got a Snapper brand one with a 19'' bar on it several years ago and it works great.

images

One of my all time favorite tools is a tiny electric chainsaw!!! Renovate kitchens and bathrooms for a living. I dont use it for pruning, but Its amazing for cutting up the subfloor tight against the wall framing. Way more control that any other saw for getting in tight. Worth every penny!!

I hate my hammer drill. It works great but everytime I get that box out of the van its to do something shitty. Drilling concrete or chipping up tile. Respirator, ear muffs and tedium whenever I grab that case.

images

One of my all time favorite tools is a tiny electric chainsaw!!! Renovate kitchens and bathrooms for a living. I dont use it for pruning, but Its amazing for cutting up the subfloor tight against the wall framing. Way more control that any other saw for getting in tight. Worth every penny!!

I hate my hammer drill. It works great but everytime I get that box out of the van its to do something shitty. Drilling concrete or chipping up tile. Respirator, ear muffs and tedium whenever I grab that case.

I have used the Dewalt one and yeah those little saws are awesome. They are also great for inside work when building log homes.

Wasn’t the Phillip head designed to slip out in order to prevent over torquing the screws?

I believe that’s why they are used in certain applications. But yes, for deck screw T25 torque head is the bees knees.
Philips head has two primary advantages for manufacturing and automation.
The first is as you said, with appropriate pressing force it will 'cam' out and not destroy the screw. Machines can detect this and stop applying drive.
The other is that they self centre under drive. So if the driver is a little bit off target it would will centre into drive

Last edited:
I agree with chainsaws and adjustable wrenches

I've never used a professional chainsaw but I'm pretty intimate with those s***** electric 14-in ones. I swear I spend more time having to put the chain back on and adjusting it versus actually cutting anything. Granted I'm trying to cut things which aren't supposed to be cut with a 14-iner. Anybody use a professional chainsaw ?

Yeah, I've had my fair share of hatred for adjustable wrenches. The design in general is horrible whether you buy a USA brand like channel lock/Western forge or some piece of s*** from India, It ultimately doesn't matter. Yes the USA brand does have less slop and won't back out as easy but they still suck. It's a really bad design flaw. I've seen those newer adjustable wrenches with rapid adjustment and they seem more promising

Recently my friend bought a ratcheting screwdriver from Linus tech tips. This thing was 70 bucks man. I kind of laughed at the situation given my hatred for ratcheting screw drivers. Probably my least used tool in my lifetime. Maybe I'm not giving ratcheting screwdrivers a chance here but 98% of the time I'm sure as hell not reaching for ratching a screwdriver to fix something.

Torque wrenches: you know those click type with spring mechanism? I've gone through so many of them over the past 20 plus years. It's not worth buying an expensive one because of how easy for them to lose calibration due to improper handling / maintenance/storage and just being unlucky. At one point I was buying those cheap ass ones from harbor freight every few years. If you own one of these you better test the calibration before usage. The newer digital ones are way better

Last edited:
Vice grips.

Great idea, but they never actually grip a GD thing.

Next up, torque wrenches.

Outside of a 3/8 snap-on tech angle I’ve owned, I don’t trust anything else. I’ve had a valve cover stud get snapped by one and another one over-torque the crap out of lug nuts.

Last edited:
Fucking chainsaws, man.

They take up a lot of space
they're oddly shaped so you can't stack things on them
They leave oil stains wherever you set them down
They require a lot of maintenance
If you don't use it for a while it won't start

It might be worth all the trouble if you use it a lot, but for me, I need it like once or twice a year. I think I might just get rid of it and use a hand saw or an ax and just get the exercise.

What tools are you constantly cursing?

Best thing to do with chainsaws is hang them from a dowel, or hook sir.

Ratchet straps. They're nice, but they can confuse me for some reason.

Ratchet-Strap.jpg
These things always used to make me feel stupid. On the chance that I did get it fitted right then when I actually took it off it was so badly tangled that I damn near had to just throw it away. With practice over the years though I can get it every time now. I swear I use mine all the time and they are lifesavers. Keep 5 or 6 in my truck bed at all times.

Joe Biden if no one said that.

I also hate 'weed eaters' or whipper snippers whatever you call them where you are.

I also remember when I was a little kid I had the chores of feeding the cat and dog. I hated, passionately, the can opener. I was always skinning my knuckles (one of those winding jobs). I was whinging about my knuckles being skinned one day and my mother said "You must be using it wrong, show me".
So I used it in front of her. She yells at me "What are you doing? That's not how you do it. Who taught you to do that?"
I said "Dad".
It both dawned on us at that moment that my father was left handed. He had taught me some spastically incorrect way of using it due to his leftness.

Thats quite the tale

Philips head has two primary advantages for manufacturing and automation.
The first is as you said, with appropriate pressing force it will 'cam' out and not destroy the screw. Machines can detect this and stop applying drive.
The other is that they self centre under drive. So if the driver is a little bit off target it would will centre into drive
Thanks for the info. I vaguely knew there was certain advantages.

Meat slicers. I used to work in restaurant kitchens and got cut by these fuckers several times. Pain in the ass to properly clean too.
upload_2023-4-1_8-17-55.jpeg

25+ years in construction, mostly masonry, can I just hate all tools equally?

I hate looking into the mixer, to check consistency of the mortar, because without fail, you get blasted in the face by mortar everytime...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardscarf
Back