• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Trainwreck: Woodstock ‘99

Oh, I know.

I was just being sarcastic and trying to point out how everyone was actually watching the show and participating instead of trying to record with their eyes glued to a screen.

They were actually in the moment, not like it is now.

People who get to the front row of a concert festival only to stare at their phone recording of a video they will never watch are cancer and should be permanently banned from attending concerts. Imagine spending all that money to see a band and you're watching them on your f**ing phone like it's youtube and blocking the view of everyone behind you.

Man that lineup was absolutely insane

Oh, I know.

I was just being sarcastic and trying to point out how everyone was actually watching the show and participating instead of trying to record with their eyes glued to a screen.

They were actually in the moment, not like it is now.

Well to be honest,

We didn't have cell phones back then.. but if our pagers could record back then, we all would have been standing there with our pagers in the air...

No according to the documentary, it was due to the angry music and all the repressed, built up white jock male testosterone...get it right dammit!

Is that really the angle the doc takes?

My favorite part about Woodstock 99 was the Insane Clown Posse botching pro wrestling spots and their crackhead DJ completely distorting every beat.

I remember it clearly as it was a really shit time in music. Nu Metal was everywhere and a lot of the 90s bands had sold out.

I was still going to gigs and festivals around 99 and the crowds were full of wankers compared to 5 years earlier.

It was an awesome time for music depending on what you like I guess. Nu metal wasn't great but was easily avoided

It was actually a really good documentary.

I'll just say that the "danger" of it all, is really over hyped though. It was big festival concert that got a bit out of control, but nobody died. A few years ago a bunch of folks got trampled at a Pearl Jam show in Spain or some shit, and then there was a more recent festival where people got trampled to death during some rapper's set. THAT is fucking crazy. "Woodstock 99"...eh, some people got a bit carried away, and tore the place apart. Some reports of sexual assault, and whatnot...I mean, not great, but considering how lax the security was and how many people were there, with so much drugs and booze thrown into the mix, and all the recipes for an absolute disaster to happen...it's really not much in the grand scheme of things. Kind of tame, considering just how bad it could've gone under all those circumstances.

I think the girl at the end summed it up well. I'll paraphrase here:

"Despite all the bullshit, it was a blast! It was a hell of an experience."

It was actually a really good documentary.

I'll just say that the "danger" of it all, is really over hyped though. It was big festival concert that got a bit out of control, but nobody died. A few years ago a bunch of folks got trampled at a Pearl Jam show in Spain or some shit, and then there was a more recent festival where people got trampled to death during some rapper's set. THAT is fucking crazy. "Woodstock 99"...eh, some people got a bit carried away, and tore the place apart. Some reports of sexual assault, and whatnot...I mean, not great, but considering how lax the security was and how many people were there, with so much drugs and booze thrown into the mix, and all the recipes for an absolute disaster to happen...it's really not much in the grand scheme of things. Kind of tame, considering just how bad it could've gone under all those circumstances.

I think the girl at the end summed it up well. I'll paraphrase here:

"Despite all the bullshit, it was a blast! It was a hell of an experience."

I think people did die there though they didn't mention it on the show. I'm positive one was during metallica but I think there's 3 or 4 total

I think people did die there though they didn't mention it on the show. I'm positive one was during metallica but I think there's 3 or 4 total

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some incidental deaths from heat exhaustion and whatnot, but I don't think there was anything directly related to the craziness.

I think the worst stuff, and there's probably sooo many more similar incidents, just not as overt, was when they were talking about the implied van rape at the rave tent. That's just something they knew about. Who the fuck knows what kind of craziness went on in the actual sleeping tents, or wherever, during all that shit, when the lights went down. There were girls of all ages down there getting completely fucked up, passing out everywhere, with a bunch of equally fucked up, but conscious and predatory dudes, not giving a shit. There is probably so much shit that was just left untold.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some incidental deaths from heat exhaustion and whatnot, but I don't think there was anything directly related to the craziness.

I think the worst stuff, and there's probably sooo many more similar incidents, just not as overt, was when they were talking about the implied van rape at the rave tent. That's just something they knew about. Who the fuck knows what kind of craziness went on in the actual sleeping tents, or wherever, during all that shit, when the lights went down. There were girls of all ages down there getting completely fucked up, passing out everywhere, with a bunch of equally fucked up, but conscious and predatory dudes, not giving a shit. There is probably so much shit that was just left untold.

I totally agree and suspect that as well. Was years ago now but I'm pretty sure I read an article or 2 that things got a little rapey and I think the doc sorta touched on that but didn't go deep.

My older sister went. She said most of it wasn't as bad as it looked on TV but the end of day 3 was pretty intense. She didn't go to the wild raves or anything and metallica was the main event for her and her friend.

You can literally jam this live set the entire time that the "going apeshit" timeline plays out. I'll put this set up against any set ever, life long limp bizkit fan.
image000000.jpg

Well to be honest,

We didn't have cell phones back then.. but if our pagers could record back then, we all would have been standing there with our pagers in the air...

I had a cell since 1994.

I totally agree and suspect that as well. Was years ago now but I'm pretty sure I read an article or 2 that things got a little rapey and I think the doc sorta touched on that but didn't go deep.

My older sister went. She said most of it wasn't as bad as it looked on TV but the end of day 3 was pretty intense. She didn't go to the wild raves or anything and metallica was the main event for her and her friend.

Yeah, even when you're at such an event, it's hard to get a gauge on what goes on outside of your bubble. I just think with how sexually amp'd it all was, with a lot chicks embracing it all(with the help of all sorts of drugs and booze), and getting naked and flaunting their shit like it was a GGW video, combined with a bunch of crazed drugged out drunken frat boys, in a crowd of like 300,000 people, with practically no security...over three days...there must've been some shit that went down that just didn't make the headlines. I figure most people just lived in the moment, and let shit slide. I mean, even if some girls were raped or assaulted, how would they even begin to report such a thing in that sea of humanity, where being fucked up was the norm?

"Any witnesses?"

"Yeah, a bunch of people...I remember there was a guy wearing a blue hat that walked by, I think..."

It's one of those things where you just gotta mind your surroundings and take care of yourself as best you can, 'cause there ain't no detective on Earth who can solve that shit.

I watched this last night. It was great. Man, that one dude (one of the capitalist organizers whose name I can’t remember) was in total denial about the conditions there. The other two just seemed ambivalent about them.

Also, sexual assault happened a lot at concerts back then. Idk about now. I’d imagine it’s similar. But even a friend of mine just groped some chick’s tits as she walked by us one time. I couldn’t believe it. She was definitely not “asking for it.”

It was an awesome time for music depending on what you like I guess. Nu metal wasn't great but was easily avoided

There's always going to be exceptions and I do listen to music from around 99/00, but a lot of great 90s bands had gassed out at that point and I remember going to a few gigs, like the Smashing Pumpkins, where guys in Slipknot and Papa Roach tshirts were trying to start mosh pits the whole time.

The Nu Metal stuff was no different to any trend and rock nights in the UK was just stuffed with it.

I watched this last night. It was great. Man, that one dude (one of the capitalist organizers whose name I can’t remember) was in total denial about the conditions there. The other two just seemed ambivalent about them.

Also, sexual assault happened a lot at concerts back then. Idk about now. I’d imagine it’s similar. But even a friend of mine just groped some chick’s tits as she walked by us one time. I couldn’t believe it. She was definitely not “asking for it.”

I remember reading a few articles years ago where baby boomers in the 1980s, who were there in 69, described the festival as a disaster with sexual assaults, someone/persons were killed by a tractor and it was disorganised. It was all glossed over in the documentary, so that's probably why Lang was so blase as it was business as usual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FELIPETHEEAGLEVEIGA
Back