International Trump/Kim Singapore Summit **UPDATE** Korean Denuclearization Agreement Signed

He may be a moron, but he's still the fucking President, and we should all hold them all to the same standard.

I don't expect him to be reasonable, but I do demand it as an axiom.

I can demand my dog grow wings and lana to ring my doorbell any second too but that doesnt mean those are reasonable expectations to have :)

the bottom line is this.
It's huge step.
Will it amount to anything? Only time will tell.

If you're looking at this with only a negative aspect, you're only doing that because Trump is involved.

Kim is legitimized now though. He has been put on equal footing with the POTUS, and was placed there by a sitting President. Words are everything in international diplomacy.

I appreciate what you're saying, but I think it's a pretty big deal. If he does an about face(again), it further erodes our standing in the world.
I just can't believe that people, most of whom are very smart on the world stage, would actually believe that the US and North Korea (the butt of every human rights joke made in the last 20 years) are on equal footing. When President Trump says that he was honored to meet the man he was so openly contentious with just a few months ago, he's obviously lying. We all know he's lying and should recognize why he's doing it. Since it's so thinly veiled, it just seems like an odd thing to be nitpicking.

It's in the document they signed:

“President Trump committed to provide security guarantees to the DPRK and Chairman Kim Jong un reaffirmed his firm and unwavering commitment to complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula.”

You're having reading comprehension problems. Trump is not promising to "protect" North Korea, as you initially claimed. The "security guarantees" that you are referring to is a pledge that the United States will not topple North Korea after they give up their nukes, as was done to Libya 8 years after they agreed to give up their nuclear program in 2003.

If some of you political "experts" (hacks) out there did something besides regurgitate what you were spoon-fed by MSNBC, you might be capable of having a substantive conversation, instead of the drivel you're vomiting out now.

The North Koreans got on the phone with their one true ally, the only country they share a border with that they haven't been at war with the past 60 years, and told them what happened at the meeting? Color me surprised!

He should've said that he was happy to be in beautiful, "Singapore!", and that he looked forward to a productive discussion. He could've thanked Kim for being open to the talks. He didn't have to laud, or denigrate the man.

Really pretty simple stuff, frankly. You simply have to actually have mental discipline to be a good diplomat.

"I'm very happy to be(Cue Mick Foley promo), right here, in beautiful Singapore!"

"I'd like to thank Kim Jong Un for being open to these talks, and for taking the time to meet with me today."

"I look forward to a frank, and productive discussion on all matters that are pertinent to the interests of both parties."

"Thank you very much. No further questions at this time."

See. Simple.

Lessons in diplomacy from Homer.......

<{clintugh}>

The North Koreans got on the phone with their one true ally, the only country that shares a border with that they haven't been at war with the past 60 years, and told them what happened at the meeting? Color me surprised!

NO! Whatever happens it is bad. And it is all Trumps fault.

You're having reading comprehension problems. Trump is not promising to "protect" North Korea, as you initially claimed. The "security guarantees" that you are referring to is a pledge that the United States will not topple North Korea after they give up their nukes, as was done to Libya 8 years after they agreed to give up their nuclear program in 2003.

If some of you political "experts" (hacks) out there did something besides regurgitate what you were spoon-fed by MSNBC, you might be capable of having a substantive conversation, instead of the drivel you're vomiting out now.

oh no, you're not getting me with this entrapment. BobGoose was right.

My question is why people like @bobgeese are tagging me and spiking the football. As far as I can tell absolutely nothing concrete was agreed to. I'm fine with us stopping military exercises, and even bringing our troops home, but how does that help the people of North Korea? That's what I'm concerned about.

Why should the U.S. (or anyone) care about "helping" North Korea? This is about securing the safety of American citizens through denuclearization of North Korea.

How are we going to bring NK into the world order, and open the country up? I see nothing that moves us there.

That's up to North Korea.

And, as we all know, neither Trump or Kim can be trusted at all.

Cannot be trusted by whom? I trust Mr. Trump. So does the majority of the electorate.

All I saw was a photo op to get a "win" for both leaders. A tacit agreement to work towards denuclearization? Trump unilaterally stating that we'll halt our military exercises? I see nothing concrete at all. This is better than threatening each other with war, but that's about it.

This is the first step. After decades of mistrust and hostility, it's a brilliant first step. If it were any left-wing politician doing what Trump has done, you'd be dead from exhaustion from all the water you were carrying for them.

Concession accepted bob.

If people are stupid enough to think that President Trump means it when he says that he's honored to meet someone he's been so openly critical of in the past, I don't know what to do for them. Maybe direct them to a library so that they can enrich their minds a bit? This is an obvious lie that he's telling, so we should all recognize it while recognizing why he's doing it.

So it's ok because he was just lying, and lying to placate an idiot is ok. Even for the president? No. The presidents words carry more weight than any citizen, ESPECIALLY on the world stage.

This is just more reason to view the man as dishonest. At this point that's not something to shrug your shoulders at and say "oh well". All that leads to is this toxic culture we have now where our expectations for president are "well spoken celebrity" and nothing more.

Well I will keep that in mind and use that standard to judge you by when half the retards in this country elect you to be their supreme mugwump

...ok.

Id also prefer to beat trump in in 2 years instead of suffering him for 6 so im willing to pick my battles and try no to alienate half the country that I need to make that happen if i dont need to.

Good point, let's not criticize anything he does because retards in this country take any criticism and use it as fuel to support him more.

Because you know only good things happen when smart people bend to the will of the stupid, especially in politics.

But you take that stand you
Fight the power

More like "call something stupid, stupid" but yeah, sure I'm "taking a stand" and "fighting the power" by saying the president can choose his language more carefully.

I just can't believe that people, most of whom are very smart on the world stage, would actually believe that the US and North Korea (the butt of every human rights joke made in the last 20 years) are on equal footing. When President Trump says that he was honored to meet the man he was so openly contentious with just a few months ago, he's obviously lying. We all know he's lying and should recognize why he's doing it. Since it's so thinly veiled, it just seems like an odd thing to be nitpicking.

A president openly lying to his people should never be accepted, and the fact that it so readily is, scares the shit out of me.

The president is supposed to represent the best of us, yet now we can't even hold them to the standard of being honest? What does that say about us?

what like a wall since Mexico isn't paying for it???...

So you'd prefer the U.S. to continue to spend millions on pointless military exercises? The fact that you deflect to the wall speaks volumes of how little substance there is to your criticisms of Mr. Trump's diplomatic success with North Korea.

Political optics are only a thing to the propagandized masses. The world leaders know who holds what cards and when the press is spinning. "But,But,But,,, we are diminished on the world stage" is for rubes. World standing is decided by military, strategic and financial might.

The North Koreans got on the phone with their one true ally, the only country they share a border with that they haven't been at war with the past 60 years, and told them what happened at the meeting? Color me surprised!

This is a really weird reply to a tweet that wasn't even accompanied by an interpretation or narrative.

Back