Trump wins: NFL Commish Roger Goodell back tracks and now tells owners that players should stand

Now that the NFL backtracked on the anthem kneeling, will the fans return and viewership come back?

• Total voters
Viewership is down because less and less households subscribe to cable plans. There's no evidence to suggest that the kneeling significantly impacted ratings at all.

Viewership is down because less and less households subscribe to cable plans. There's no evidence to suggest that the kneeling significantly impacted ratings at all.

It certainly didn't help, with the base of NFL fans being red blooded, beer chugging, patriotic, flag waving, 'Mericans.

So what happens if players call the owners bluff? Average Joe's will replace them ? Lol the players actually have all the power if they unite .

Last edited:
It's on free tv besides a few games

Does anyone watch network tv via antenna anymore? Come on, man.

It certainly didn't help, with the base of NFL fans being red blooded, beer chugging, patriotic, flag waving, 'Mericans.

Yeah, I agree it alienated some of them, but ratings were already falling before any of this happened.

Does anyone watch network tv via antenna anymore? Come on, man.

Yeah, I agree it alienated some of them, but ratings were already falling before any of this happened.
Yes, I do, I don't have cable, waste of money. And the person I replied to said ratings were down from folks cutting cable, so yea, it's on free tv, and new tvs have an internal antenna

Yes, I do, I don't have cable, waste of money. And the person I replied to said ratings were down from folks cutting cable, so yea, it's on free tv, and new tvs have an internal antenna

They are down because people are cutting cable and the person you originally replied to is me. Ratings are down across all sports. It's an industry wide phenomenon. You're in the minority of watching via antenna.

They are down because people are cutting cable and the person you originally replied to is me. Ratings are down across all sports. It's an industry wide phenomenon. You're in the minority of watching via antenna.
Jerry Jones went fully in when local ratings dropped 17%. You saying TX residents aren't watching cause they cut their cable? They have huge stadiums for high school football, TX bleeds football, and ratings are down.

The core NFL fan is quite patriotic, and sick how out of hand this has gotten

Jerry Jones went fully in when local ratings dropped 17%. You saying TX residents aren't watching cause they cut their cable? They have huge stadiums for high school football, TX bleeds football, and ratings are down.

The core NFL fan is quite patriotic, and sick how out of hand this has gotten

How do you explain ratings dropping across all sports? How do you explain the NFL's ratings dropping before the protests started?

They are spending over 160 million a year to do the anthem at NFL games, they don't want the drama during the airtime they paid for

It's really simple actually
I support the military and I have no problem standing for the anthem personally, but I also don't really care if some players decide to take a knee. There's something about paid patriotism that seems odd to me.

How do you explain ratings dropping across all sports? How do you explain the NFL's ratings dropping before the protests started?
Nothing happened till sponsors stopped sponsoring, tv was down, and and I'm sure the military threatened to stop paying. Ffs Jerry was kneeling a couple weeks ago, now its kneel and get benched

$ talks bigly

Goodell can say whatever he likes, but unless there is a rule change (unlikely), I don't believe there is anything he can do. Especially when a number of owners have voiced public support.

Especially when a number of owners have voiced public support.

And the loudest voice, who knelt with the players, has changed his stance.

Make no mistake, $$$ will win out in the end. If this wasn't effecting the NFL's bottom line, the Commish wouldn't be releasing any statements hinting at "expectations" to stand for the anthem. Expect enforcement.

And the loudest voice, who knelt with the players, has changed his stance.

Make no mistake, $$$ will win out in the end. If this wasn't effecting the NFL's bottom line, the Commish wouldn't be releasing any statements hinting at "expectations" to stand for the anthem. Expect enforcement.

You may be right. We'll see what happens at the meeting next week. I don't think it will sit well with a lot f the players and owners, so there may be some backlash if a rule is made.

You may be right. We'll see what happens at the meeting next week. I don't think it will sit well with a lot f the players and owners, so there may be some backlash if a rule is made.

Backlash smacklash...

The players should put their money where their mouth is, if they're sooo passionate. Threaten to not play, and void their contract. If any of them criticize the NFL, let's see if they're willing to hurt their own bottom line for the cause. It's so easy to protest without sacrifice. The NFL is coming around to the idea that it's not worth the sacrifice. Let's see if the players truly want to protest with real stakes on the line, or if they cop out, and continue to enjoy making millions of dollars playing a kids game.

My money is on cop out.

Back