News Two days out, and Alex Pereira still needs to cut more than 20lbs

Who will be the bigger man in the cage?

• Total voters
That has to be bollocks?

Or you mean he started camp at 215?
It's been a long time. It was said that they started their cut there, but that term was used pretty ambiguously. It could have been a Rumble situation where he started at 240 to make 170.

Genetics man...homie sheds water really easily. I envy him

I don't know when you wrestled (I wrestled in the 80's and 90's), but it's not how it use to be for the most part. They've learned a lot and came a long ways. So yes, they do have it down to a science now, even the Brazilians.
I wrestled 1 year in HS mid 90s and the weight cutting was pretty intense.

One kid on the team got hospitalized on 2 different occasions during HS.

And that was pre ufc/mma weight cutting insanity. It may not have been as scientific as now but there were well known tricks- spitting in cups, running with garbage bags under sweats, sometimes layers of that.

I remember coach telling a kid

"Here's your dinner tonight and your lunch and breakfast tomorrow."

Then he handed him 3 pieces of trident gum. He made weight. He looked like shit, but he made weight. Then he ate a sleeve of cookies and drank a quart of milk, puked at least half of that up maybe all of it and went out and wrestled.

That would have been 1995.

I don't specifically remember SEEING anyone take laxatives but I do remember a kid shitting himself at practice, thats kind of hard to forget. Run the math on that.

Probably depends on the coach and the culture. Our coach was a psycho. He didn't encourage harsh weight cutting, he demanded it. He would shuffle kids up and down weight classes if he thought it was a better matchup, or if one of our weaker guys could collect forfeit points and have the better wrestler go up or down. I would imagine you probably can't do that anymore as they monitor weights now, they didn't then.

Alex's professionalism when it comes to weight cutting has been very impressive.

No fucking clue how he's always made weight, especially at 185.

His countrymen are pretty notorious for botching cuts.

Inb4 I jynx it.

Dude Pereira is objectively fucking huge what are you on about lol also I've never seen or heard of a single Brazilian fighter using "proper science" to make weight lmao
At this point most of MMA camps probably has this thing down if they are truly professional about it, Aldo at the end of his career moved to 135lbs and never missed weight, Pereira didnt missed weight at MW and he is big enough for LHW, not just height, but in mass, the guy can let his weight "go" as high as 236lbs or something off camp and still look fit, not in the Paddy Pimblett letting go kind of way.

I can't remember who it was, but they used to start their cut to 155 at around 215. Was it Tibau? Might have been Tibau or someone similar.
Fatty Pimblett maybe, all weight talk with fighters its a weird flex, Ferguson posted a photo of him being 200lbs after a fight iirc, i mean, why point out that you are a weight bully and risk your health unnecessary as a some form of a flex, its dumb in more ways than one.

At this point most of MMA camps probably has this thing down if they are truly professional about it, Aldo at the end of his career moved to 135lbs and never missed weight, Pereira didnt missed weight at MW and he is big enough for LHW, not just height, but in mass, the guy can let his weight "go" as high as 236lbs or something off camp and still look fit, not in the Paddy Pimblett letting go kind of way.

I don't know when you wrestled (I wrestled in the 80's and 90's), but it's not how it use to be for the most part. They've learned a lot and came a long ways. So yes, they do have it down to a science now, even the Brazilians.

Oh yeah they totally have it down to a procedure, I'm just being antagonistic to that other dude because he was being a dick lmao

This isn't that extreme. I used to cut from 148 to 133 in a matter of days back when I wrestled in junior college, and had to wrestle the day of weigh ins.

MMA Fight Weight Cut:

1) Increased cardio & lower calories 4-6 weeks out

2) Water loading week of weigh in *** <<< YOU ARE HERE

3) Water cut 24 hours out

4) Weigh-in

Poatan is doing what everyone else who cuts weight is doing right now, he's loading water like crazy. Only a fool would start to dehydrate two days before your weigh-in, this doesn't need to be explained in 2023?

Fatty Pimblett maybe, all weight talk with fighters its a weird flex, Ferguson posted a photo of him being 200lbs after a fight iirc, i mean, why point out that you are a weight bully and risk your health unnecessary as a some form of a flex, its dumb in more ways than one.
Oh this was before Tony was on TUF. It's been a while.

He will make it, if he was a lighter weight class then he will probably miss. He needs to be careful not getting too heavy though, he was so slow and ploddy against Jan, very slow.. both of them.

Oh this was before Tony was on TUF. It's been a while.
All posts about it are from 2017, one is a photo and other is him talking about being 201lbs and him losing 20lbs in 20 days, who knows, but all talk is way after his TUF days at WW.

All posts about it are from 2017, one is a photo and other is him talking about being 201lbs and him losing 20lbs in 20 days, who knows, but all talk is way after his TUF days at WW.
I meant the one I'm talking about. Not Tony.

You just said that he's literally 11 pounds heavier than Adesanya, based on some number you randomly created in your head. The weight you listed as his walk around is lighter than he is now, just two days out from a fight. The point is obvious, but keep back pedaling. It seems to fill you with confidence.
Number I made up in my head?

Alex Pereira posted it himself.

I made it up right? Yup, entirely made it up.

I’m literally posting fucking sources, photos, interviews from the fighters themselves and yet….

I’m making it up?

@CerebralKnievel
Nothing? I’m still making it up?

Back