Tyron Woodley - "I'm not respected by the people for being a Champion."

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Arm Barbarian, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Arm Barbarian Steel Belt

Arm Barbarian
    I kinda get what he's saying here, as I do think most fans LIKE fighters such as Lawler and Condit more.

But I'm not entirely convinced that it's because they don't 'respect' Woodley.

I think it's more that many fans just don't find him all that interesting as a Champion, both inside and outside the cage. He hasn't exactly been in Barn-burner types of title defenses, despite being successful.

Personally, even though I'm not a big fan, I DO respect that at least TWood remains an active champ who fights the top guys in his division, in an era where that increasingly seems to be becoming the exception, and not the rule.

What say you Sherdoggers? Does he have a point? And if so, what can he do to win fans over?

3:50

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. MillingMeSoftly Blue Belt

MillingMeSoftly
    He also said that there's no one out there who's a challenge for him, and he's going to focus on his acting career in 2018

3. Fatal Catro Red Belt

Fatal Catro
    It's a weird business where the champions who defend , stay active and fight contenders receive the least amount of acclaim.

4. SVG The Porkchop Express

SVG
    Sorry Tyron but you are living in the era of the true GOAT.

This man didn't just spoil Star Wars.

He is Star Wars.

DarthColby.jpg

5. 12ga. Silver Belt

12ga.
    His fights are boring. GSP was like Wanderlei Silva compared to Tyron. Plus he's always whining about money fights he has not earned by putting butts in seats. I like Tyron though. Family man, coach, speaker, defends, and very ambitious professionally outside fighting with acting - commentating and TMZ stuff.

6. boyer Blue Belt

boyer
    I used to be a fan, not so much anymore. He doesn't fight to win, he fights not to lose.

7. Leinster Rugby Brown Belt

Leinster Rugby
    he has 4 first round finishes in the UFC alone.

sure he fights safe sometimes but lots of other champs have too - Silva vs Maia, arguably GSP vs lots of people etc etc

Alanf7, Dilaanf_, GhostNote and 5 others like this.
  8. Odoylerules4lyf The Salacious One

Odoylerules4lyf
  9. ThatGuy7698 Chael Sonnen Bless

ThatGuy7698
    Maybe if his title defenses were exciting, stopped playing the race card whenever something doesn't go his way, and stop demanding respect from the people based on the sole fact he's champ, then people would respect him.

Respect is not given, it's earned.

10. FacePunch Black Belt

FacePunch
    I wonder what his Sherdog account is.

11. VVarhead Bullet Belt

VVarhead
    I consider him one of the greatest WW's that ever stepped inside the octagon, honestly.

I don't think he's responsible for the boring title-fights. The challengers are supposed to GET the belt, the champion is just supposed to keep it.
    And that the Maia fight wasn't gonna be a slugfest was pretty clear.

I respect him for taking every fight and fighting every top contender.

12. esum80 tiger knee

esum80
    he's not wrong. i also agree with him about how the game has changed and most fighters nowadays don't embody the martial spirit and it reflects in the sport and the culture.

13. Zefram Cochrane Red belt in warp theory and practice.

Zefram Cochrane
    The only "activity" Tyron displays during title defenses is that he shows up.

14. WeazyFBaby Yellow Belt

WeazyFBaby

WTF does that even mean???? It's not a game of tag, it's a fight. Both dudes are supposed to fight for and win the belt. He's not supposed to just show up and hang back on the cage for 25 minutes and prevent the other guy from taking him out.

He is supposed to dispose of challengers, that is how you gain respect as a champion.

15. gotBooched maximus entertainus

gotBooched
    I respect the fuck out of Woodley. Model champion IMO.

16. King Joffery Brown Belt

King Joffery
    I like him, not the most exciting but he is surprisingly well spoken and has a surprisingly high fight IQ.

17. Perrichet Yellow Card

Perrichet
    His own doing.

Ducking Colby while calling out a LW gatekeeper was just pathetic

18. Dozer . Purple Belt

Dozer .
    Because the Bellator WW champ and #1 contender (again) would kick his ass.

19. SuperNerd Playoff Mode.

SuperNerd
    I'm just an angry old bitter GSP fan who finds the standard Tyron is held too compared to what GSP was, and is held to, a joke.

Nobody accepts that GSP's opponents shell up and do nothing, but excuse Tyron's defensive fights via his opponent's abilities.
    Sherdoggers to this day call GSP a lay and prayer, while having more passes and sub attempts in his title run than Tyron's entire career totals.
    Who has ever excused GSP's fights with "at least he defends"? I wish I was clever enough to call GSP haters racist.

As for being respected like Lawler and Condit, good luck. Those guys don't have the respect they do because of their win count. They fight and conduct themselves with honor, for the most part.

Tyron on the other hand won't take a strong position when he talks. People say he plays the race card, but he rarely does, what he did do was indirectly play it for a reader/veiwer to determine themselves. He has mostly dropped that. He used similar tactics on the Rogan show trying to create sympathy and Rogan would call him out for it, and Tyron would quickly deny doing it. I'm not saying he's an awful person, he's difficult to talk to imo. I would be frustrated talking to a person like this and don't really enjoy listening to him. He seems to be posturing and selling himself way too much. He wants to be loved but won't admit it.

As a fighter, he's fine. He's boring, but he's fine. It's a problem, another set of techniques for someone to solve. If you're a poster who goes around calling fighters boring, don't pretend Tyron is something else.

20. gotBooched maximus entertainus

gotBooched
    Surely you don't believe he ducked Colby. Tyron is the most active champ and has only fought against #1 contenders as of now. When Colby is #1 contender, Woodley will fight him.