UFC 100 era vs UFC. 300 era (chsmp v champ)

Streeter

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Seems alot of folks like to come to conclusion that the newer are just better and due to natural evolution of sport. But are they?

HW - Current Bones vs Peak form Brock . Bones not being a power striker and in his late 30s hurts him alot here. I got it 50/50 due to Brock in prime and Bones 1 foot in retirement.

LHW - Alex vs Rashad both in mma primes. Close fight I would say Shad in a decision via lay n pray but Alex might starch him any moment. 50/50

MW - Prime Andy dominates

WW - Prime George's dominates

Lw - Prime Islam dominates

Fw - Prime Aldo embarrasses the brash Ilia.

Bw - Cruz v Sean - Cruz more thsn likely but in a total stand up match Omalley might catch him over 5 rds.

MM - easily over Pants

My scorecard says

100 era 4 definite wins
300 era 1 definite win
3 50/50 (give or take) fights.

Note : Fw,bw,Fly. Weren't ufc yet during 100 so took the first champ from each when appeared.

Seems alot of folks like to come to conclusion that the newer are just better and due to natural evolution of sport. But are they?

HW - Current Bones vs Peak form Brock . Bones not being a power striker and in his late 30s hurts him alot here. I got it 50/50 due to Brock in prime and Bones 1 foot in retirement.

LHW - Alex vs Rashad both in mma primes. Close fight I would say Shad in a decision via lay n pray but Alex might starch him any moment. 50/50

Bw - Cruz v Sean - Cruz more thsn likely but in a total stand up match Omalley might catch him over 5 rds.

MM - easily over Pants

My scorecard says

100 era 4 definite wins
300 era 1 definite win

Note : Fw,bw,Fly. Weren't ufc yet during 100 so took the first champ from each when appeared.

Jones beats Brock, not even close.

Rashad beats Pereira, while Suga might get clipped we are talking about a guy who was able to impose his wrestling on a guy like Phil Davis...gotta favor Rashad. Also Pereira is hittable and Suga was a quicker puncher, I favor Rashad here for sure.

Prime Andy definitely beats DDP, DDP doesn't have the wrestling of a guy like Sonnen and standing he's so hittable, Anderson would sleep him with a counter.

I think I'd favor GSP, but I don't know about DOMINATES, the thing about Leon is he has the tank to go a full 25, he has the defensive wrestling to get back to his feet and not just get smothered. Standing he's about as quick as GSP, as long or a little longer, great mover etc. I'd favor GSP but it's a competitive decision I'd reckon.

Islam beats Penn or Edgar, I think so for sure. Not many guys I think can offer Islam trouble at 155 in MMA history.

Aldo vs Ilia is kinda a toss up, I'm not really sure. Ilia is a freak athlete and so talented for 25-26, it's almost reminiscent of Aldo....Ilia is a way better technical puncher, both guys cardio are questionable I feel. I really don't know.

Omalley beats Cruz, I think his takedown defense has shown to be formidable enough vs Aljo who I feel is a far more dominant wrestler-grappler than Cruz. Standing Omalley just throws and lands better quality, no doubt.

Mighty Mouse beats Pantoja. I'd think Cejudo and Mighty Mouse both would, but I do feel overall the 125lb division has grown and is better now than ever but MM/Cejudo/Horiguchi are arguably better than your Morenos and Pantojas.

Final score is 4-3-1, slightly favor the circa UFC 100. Basically even really.

I think even an old Bones only has to survive a wild 1st round and then its in the bag

Andy all day

GSP all day

Islam all day

Prime Aldo/Topuria would be so damn good, younger Aldo didn’t have the boxing he does now, but was more dynamic

Cruz use to have the best timed knee-tap TDs in the game in his hey-days. He would have mixed it up well and had the hand speed to meet O’malley

Idk 50/50?

The goats still holding the torches.

HW - Jones easy

LHW - Pereira starches

MW - Prime Andy for sure

WW - Prime George's for sure

Lw - Islam easy

Fw - I'm going with Ilia on this one, would be a great fight

Bw - Sean way too slick for Cruz

MM - easy

Got it 5/3 for the current gen

Last edited:
HW- I favour Jones over Brock tbh, but it's hard to say because of how small the sample size for Jones as a HW is, how great of a wrestler Brock was, and the sheer size and weight difference. Brock would be around 280lbs in the cage fight night. The guys Brock struggled with were heavy handed guys that put a pace on him and overwhelmed him. That isn't Jones's style. But I still would favour Jones, probably by GnP with elbows.

LHW- Rashad. Poatan could KO him of course, but I think Rashad would just outwrestle him tbh, Rahsad was a powerhouse when it came to MMA wrestling. He imposed his game on Phil Davis and crushed Sonnen with his top game.

MW- Easiest on the list. Anderson beats DDP easy. Dricus is such a weird, herky jerky striker and he gets hit a LOT. He has power, but I don't see him landing on prime Anderson at all. Early tko for the Spider.

WW- I do think this is closer than most would assume. Leon is longer than GSP, taller, his striking is just as, if not more technically sound. He can match his speed, and his anti wrestling game is one of the strongest in the sport. GSP beats him on pure athleticism and explosiveness. I do think GSP wins here, but in a close 3 rounds to 2 decision.

LW- Islam vs Penn. I think BJ gives Islam fits, for about a round. After that Islam takes over as BJ gasses and wilts. Dont see a finish unless its a very late tko, but I think Islam just beats him from the top position for a wide points victory. BJ could catch him early and out him out though, but I wouldn't expect that to happen.

FW- Really tough one. Topuria's boxing is a much higher level than Aldo's. Aldo is a much better kicker, both are good for 3 rounds, not sure about 5. Both are great grapplers but Ilia uses his far more. Ilia is physically stronger and prime Aldo is a lot quicker and more explosive. Can't pick between these guys tbh. 50/50 fight.

BW- Cruz was amazing back then, still in his pomp in the WEC but he was beating a lot of flyweights and some average competition like Scott Jorgensen. I would expect O'Malley to win because he can do what Garbrandt did to him. Cody used his speed advantage, whereas Sean would use his timing. He snipes Cruz at range and hurts him multiple times. Think he wins a UD.

FLW- Mighty Mouse is the GOAT, he wins pretty convincingly here. He's a much better striker, probably overall a better grappler than Pantoja too, has a better gas tank, is quicker and more athletic. Every advantage is his. Also agree with @HuskySamoan here. I think Mighty Mouse, Cejudo and Horiguchi are the best 3 guys ever in that weightclass and I'd argue Benavidez is 4th, but after that the division is much better now than it was back then. No more unknowns like Bagautinov and Cariaso level guys in the title picture these days.

Overall I have 4-3 to the UFC 100 era guys and then I have a fight I can't pick between Aldo and Topuria.

MMA today vs UFC 100 is 10x more evolved already. I dont think anyone from UFC 100 dominates even a prelim dude today. Look at basketball from the 1950s vs today MMA is no different.

I think I'd favor GSP, but I don't know about DOMINATES, the thing about Leon is he has the tank to go a full 25, he has the defensive wrestling to get back to his feet and not just get smothered. Standing he's about as quick as GSP, as long or a little longer, great mover etc. I'd favor GSP but it's a competitive decision I'd reckon.
Leon can go 25 mins at HIS pace, but not on at the pace GSP will be imposing on him.

Leon will not be controlling the pace.

It seems like the consensus on here is 100 champs beat the 300 chumps, I mean, I mean champs.

The factor people are leaving out of the JBJ v. Brock debate is that JBJ has an incredible fight iq (often beating people at their own game). Brock was really just a freight train, rolling people over. I think old man Jones still has enough skills to avoid the train and Brock gets frustrated when he cannot do what he wants and will get peppered with unusual strikes.

To be fair this "300 era" is a relatively new generation and they are being compared to champions of a more matured generation after the dust settled.

HW - Current Bones vs Peak form Brock . I have Brock winning pre-diverculitis. He seemed to wilt from power strikers who could nullify his TD's, but we didn't see him take much leg kicks and maybe Jones could keep it standing and pepper him, but I think Brock in his prime could pull off the upset.

LHW - Alex vs Rashad both in mma primes. We'll know more after Ankalaev fight, but right now I'm guessing Pereira's TDD isn't very good and Rashad wins with wrestling.

MW - Silva vs DDP. DDP could do a Chael gameplan, but Silva just was different than any fighter we've seen before, DDP would get caught in one of his mistakes and Silva would immediately find the finish.

WW - GSP vs Edwards. To me this is actually 50/50. On paper you would have to equal GSP's wrestling to Usman or Colby, and Edwards could keep them on the feet. GSP was a master game-planner that would find a way to win. But if it was on the feet I'm not sure GSP's jab and superman punches would work against a sniper like Edwards. GSP usually got the TD from guys who overexposed themselves with strikes and Edwards is more disciplined than the guys GSP fought back in the day.

Lw - Islam beats anyone from that era. Frankie would have a better chance than BJ, but the size difference is too much even if Edgar can stop the takedowns.

Fw - Aldo vs Topuria. I have Topuria beating any version of prime Aldo without leg kicks, but UFC 100 is 2009 and that's where Aldo was shredding guys like Brown and Faber, so Aldo takes is

Bw - Cruz vs O'Malley. O'Malley figures out Cruz's jerky striking game and Cruz's wrestling isn't enough to smother him all 5 rounds. O'malley is a lock.

FLW - DJ vs Pantoja. DJ is just too good and would find a place he likes to beat Pantoja. I think the only FLW that beats MM besides Cejudo is prime Figgy.

MM - easily over Pants

My scorecard says

100 era 4 definite wins
300 era 1 definite win

The biases are bleeding through here. Bones beats Brock, more likely than not. Brock is just genuinely not in that upper echeleon of heavyweights, he's more so on that Tim Sylvia level.

Rashad vs. Poatan is 50/50, I can get with that. I think Alex probably has a better chance than 50% moreso 75%, he's too damn big for Rashad to get down easy and lay n pray it out.

Silva kills DDP.

GSP wins via split decision more likely. Its nots gonna be a domination, I could see him getting clipped like Kamaru did too but he's probably more cautious so its less likely.

I lowk think Omalley has it in the bag but I understand why people think Cruz can from a techinical stand point.

MM over any FLW, sure.

Pretty good breakdown and I agree with pretty much all of it.

One extra thing to think about though, I would be willing to bet that every single 300 era fighter would come in 10lbs+ heavier than there 100 era counter part for their in-fight weight.

Nothing existed below LW during UFC 100 era though. Otherwise interesting thread.

The biases are bleeding through here. Bones beats Brock, more likely than not. Brock is just genuinely not in that upper echeleon of heavyweights, he's more so on that Tim Sylvia level.

Rashad vs. Poatan is 50/50, I can get with that. I think Alex probably has a better chance than 50% moreso 75%, he's too damn big for Rashad to get down easy and lay n pray it out.

Silva kills DDP.

GSP wins via split decision more likely. Its nots gonna be a domination, I could see him getting clipped like Kamaru did too but he's probably more cautious so its less likely.

I lowk think Omalley has it in the bag but I understand why people think Cruz can from a techinical stand point.

Not Brock vs Prime Bone. Prime Brock vs end of career Bones is imo a toss up. Prime Bones by any way he wants.

MM over any FLW, sure.
Don't about Alex size helping with take downs. Jiri and IZZY took him down easily and neither even grappler. Not saying Alex would ko him but Shad should get take downs at will if he can avoid the strikes coming in.

GSP puts too much pressure on and Edwards . Prime GSP takes down any form of Exwards at will an 50 45s him imo.. I can see any area where Edwards is better.

Jones beats Brock, not even close.

Rashad beats Pereira, while Suga might get clipped we are talking about a guy who was able to impose his wrestling on a guy like Phil Davis...gotta favor Rashad. Also Pereira is hittable and Suga was a quicker puncher, I favor Rashad here for sure.

Prime Andy definitely beats DDP, DDP doesn't have the wrestling of a guy like Sonnen and standing he's so hittable, Anderson would sleep him with a counter.

Islam beats Penn or Edgar, I think so for sure. Not many guys I think can offer Islam trouble at 155 in MMA history.

Aldo vs Ilia is kinda a toss up, I'm not really sure. Ilia is a freak athlete and so talented for 25-26, it's almost reminiscent of Aldo....Ilia is a way better technical puncher, both guys cardio are questionable I feel. I really don't know.

Omalley beats Cruz, I think his takedown defense has shown to be formidable enough vs Aljo who I feel is a far more dominant wrestler-grappler than Cruz. Standing Omalley just throws and lands better quality, no doubt.

Mighty Mouse beats Pantoja. I'd think Cejudo and Mighty Mouse both would, but I do feel overall the 125lb division has grown and is better now than ever but MM/Cejudo/Horiguchi are arguably better than your Morenos and Pantojas.

Final score is 4-3-1, slightly favor the circa UFC 100. Basically even really.
Leon was struggling with Colby's wrestling gsp would be nightmare matchup

MMA today vs UFC 100 is 10x more evolved already. I dont think anyone from UFC 100 dominates even a prelim dude today. Look at basketball from the 1950s vs today MMA is no different.

I think this is bait in your case but it's hard to tell because people genuinely think like this.

The fact Cruz/Aldo/Mighty Mouse still are (or would be in if he was in the UFC in MM's case) ranked fighters as old cripples obviously proves this theory completely wrong.

The problem with the whole 'constant evolution' is that U Fight Cheap remains 10/10 bumfights at its core. A semi-amateur sport. Millionaires competing with the borderline homeless.

Think about this - the performance bonuses for UFC 99 were 60k (I'm not using UFC 100 because of the 100k gimmick). That's 87k in 2024 dollars, a fucking 75% increase over the 50k standard today.

Plus fighters had their own sponsors, which is what low-level guys lived off. Base pay for the elite and upper-middle fighters has improved above inflation, but for lower-level fighters the impact of loss of sponsors, inflation, and the smaller bonuses means in many cases they are probably even worse off than they were in 2009 (and they were fucked back then too).

Of course there are certain innovations in terms of strategies but the overall quality of athlete just hasn't improved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammywells
Back