UFC 264 | Poirier vs McGregor

Irene Aldana (139.5) vs. Yana Kunitskaya (134.5)

irene-aldana-of-mexico-poses-on-the-scale-during-the-ufc-264-official-picture-id1327842915

Wow conor looked real bad at the press conference. He had nothing

that is kind of a strange assesment. Fighters who miss weight win more often than not.....

I thought it was pretty close to 50/50. Of course a big difference is if the fighter actually tries to cut the weight or just stops trying early on when it becomes apparent they don’t think they’ll make it.

that is kind of a strange assesment. Fighters who miss weight win more often than not.....
Not true. I’d like to see were you site those facts.

‘Breaking it down further, we looked at fighters who have had small misses (two pounds or less), mid-size misses (2.5-3.5 pounds), and major misses (four pounds or more). The major takeaway here is that being much bigger than your opponent does not always work in your favor. Those who missed weight by four or more pounds combined for a record of only 8-10. During that span, fighters who missed weight by six pounds or more went 0-4. That’s a stat that has been remarkably stable through UFC history; according to best available research, during the modern era, every fighter to miss weight by seven or more pounds has lost their fight. The rare occurrence has only happened five times, most recently when Charles Oliveiralost to Ricardo Lamas in Nov. 2016 after missing weight by nine pounds.

While it might be logical to assume that a far bigger (and assumedly more hydrated) competitor would have a distinct advantage, it seems likely that the physical effects of a badly botched weight cut combined with the lingering mental effects of the failure to hit the contracted mark — not to mention the lost chunk of pay due to penalty — may play a role in this consistent result.’

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mm...ht-an-advantage-or-a-detriment-on-fight-night

Last edited:
Tactical weight miss. Her camp priority was strength, her fight priority is keeping stamina behind that strength.

Yana should decline the fight.
She’ll have weight advantage by maybe 5-10lb but will have physical exhaustion due to dehydration. I dont think she walks around just a few pounds heavy , its not like she can show up to the fight 10 lb over , that would piss off Dana, she definitely did some sauna water cutting, that stuff drains you.

What are the odds that Jolie Porier really does want to see the hair around Conor's cock and balls? I'm guessing low. <{Joewithit}>

I thought it was pretty close to 50/50. Of course a big difference is if the fighter actually tries to cut the weight or just stops trying early on when it becomes apparent they don’t think they’ll make it.

It is pretty close to 50/50. But individual circumstances can clue you in more. Hard to say if it's from being out of shape or not caring, or just a screwup with the weight cut where they prioritized readiness over weight. Unless you know the reason I wouldn't change my bets here.

Not true. I’d like to see were you site those facts.

‘Breaking it down further, we looked at fighters who have had small misses (two pounds or less), mid-size misses (2.5-3.5 pounds), and major misses (four pounds or more). The major takeaway here is that being much bigger than your opponent does not always work in your favor. Those who missed weight by four or more pounds combined for a record of only 8-10. During that span, fighters who missed weight by six pounds or more went 0-4. That’s a stat that has been remarkably stable through UFC history; according to best available research, during the modern era, every fighter to miss weight by seven or more pounds has lost their fight. The rare occurrence has only happened five times, most recently when Charles Oliveiralost to Ricardo Lamas in Nov. 2016 after missing weight by nine pounds.

While it might be logical to assume that a far bigger (and assumedly more hydrated) competitor would have a distinct advantage, it seems likely that the physical effects of a badly botched weight cut combined with the lingering mental effects of the failure to hit the contracted mark — not to mention the lost chunk of pay due to penalty — may play a role in this consistent result.’

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mm...ht-an-advantage-or-a-detriment-on-fight-night
It's been true for certain years, think 2017 and 2018, but 2019 saw it swing towards the weight-missers losing.

As of now, it stands as a slight disadvantage for them. Hope to god Irene pulls through though, don't particularly like Yana and put some cash on Aldana prior to her missing weight.

Bet the house on Yana, Irene will come in drained from weight cutting and poor dieting.

Whenever a fighter misses weight by so much, i assume they want to cheat. She would rather miss weight and keep her cardio than try to make weight.

It could indicate an illness on her part, but usually it's an indicator of someone who is ready to wrestle.

How is Aldana's clinch game, anyone know? As far as I remember she's mostly likes to strike from distance. I know we've seen Yana win that one fight exclusively by clinching a girl up against the cage, she was pretty strong and seemed to have complete control in the clinch, although that girl was a grappler, so it will be far more dangerous to close that distance against Aldana, but if she does, I think she can really wear on Aldana, especially with the weight miss

Just bc they lost does not mean it did not give them an advantage.
I'm still hopeful she'll put a hurting on Yana, but it worries me that an injury may be why she missed weight. Still, I do know that Irene is gritty and the more dangerous of the too, so I won't count her out.

Back