UFC corruption makes Don King look like Santa Claus, MMA fighters tell ABC

Oh yeah, fuck face joe blow knows the extent of the mafia controlling boxing back in the 1930's and what not. What an educated spin on things.
Which 1930s mafia family did Don King belong to? Because Don King is the person mentioned here, not the 1930s mafia, and that's not even the point of the thread. You not only got mad about an unrelated topic, you also intentionally missed the point and didn't even bother to mention the UFC's shady practices.

What's wrong, Daddy Dana didn't give you today's justifications for his bullshit, so you had to come up with something on the spot?

Give me 200k to fight I woul be content.. fight 3 times a yr.

65.6 % of Americans make less then 100k I dont feel bad for a guy making 60/60k starting pay when the fight 2-3 times a year.

Even 1 fight is more than half of Americans make in a year.. you guys are just a bit retarded to think everyone deserves to make 500k to a million a fight
If your job doesnt involve everything that comes with being a fighter especially the harm to your health long term and cte, then its not a fair comparison and you arent truly putting yourself in their shoes imo

Id never put my health on the line for so little therefore i am grateful for those that do and i also agree with their demands that the ufc needs to pay more. How many have complained so far? Easily over 30.

u
fight
cheap
5k to show 5k to win
its not a job its an opportunity
but no wait its a job and we have you under contract
but no wait youre not contractors and we dont have to pay for medical insurance
but no wait youre not employees so you cant have a union
but no wait you cant have sponsors on your shorts
but no wait lets put them all over the octagon and make money off them
but no wait you have to wear these shorts we specify and that dont have sponsors on them besides ones partnered with the UFC

dont use the "muh capitalism" argument. theres wiggle room to pay the fighters more. oh no, some executive wont be able to afford a 3rd Porsche? how terrible.
if the company makes more money, the athletes should by default as there is more profit to go around. the sponsor payout was increased with Venum but its still very small. and they have to wear those shitty reebok shoes and all of that Crypto bullshit without seeing a dime from any of that, too.
there's capitalism and then there's profiteering. the UFC is doing the latter.

i like the comparison here
What do you think a freshly signed fighter is owed? That brings zero to the table and basically is only filling out the prelims? 100k? You're an idiot if you think that and your business wouldn't last a year

If your job doesnt involve everything that comes with being a fighter especially the harm to your health long term and cte, then its not a fair comparison and you arent truly putting yourself in their shoes imo

Id never put my health on the line for so little therefore i am grateful for those that do and i also agree with their demands that the ufc needs to pay more. How many have complained so far? Easily over 30.
How much is a entry level fighter due that brings in zero dollars to the company though? 15/15k sounds fair if you fight 3 times a year and win you make more than 65.6 % of Americans do.

What do you pay them if it's you and your business and money

So far the UFC hasn't killed anyone that we know of.
Hmm think again, bud...

tumblr_mtug6xpEdb1si9idzo1_400.gif

How much is a entry level fighter due that brings in zero dollars to the company though? 15/15k sounds fair if you fight 3 times a year and win you make more than 65.6 % of Americans do.

Id pay them more than 8k, atleast give them a decent and dignified taste of what being a profesional athlete should come with. The whole ufc pay structure needs reforming, its way too lopsided

Id pay them more than 8k, atleast give them a decent and dignified taste of what being a profesional athlete should come with. The whole ufc pay structure needs reforming, its way too lopsided
So flat rate of 80k? That would sound pretty generous for a person that not single person knows nor bought tickets to see

u
fight
cheap
5k to show 5k to win
its not a job its an opportunity
but no wait its a job and we have you under contract
but no wait youre not contractors and we dont have to pay for medical insurance
but no wait youre not employees so you cant have a union
but no wait you cant have sponsors on your shorts
but no wait lets put them all over the octagon and make money off them
but no wait you have to wear these shorts we specify and that dont have sponsors on them besides ones partnered with the UFC

dont use the "muh capitalism" argument. theres wiggle room to pay the fighters more. oh no, some executive wont be able to afford a 3rd Porsche? how terrible.
if the company makes more money, the athletes should by default as there is more profit to go around. the sponsor payout was increased with Venum but its still very small. and they have to wear those shitty reebok shoes and all of that Crypto bullshit without seeing a dime from any of that, too.
there's capitalism and then there's profiteering. the UFC is doing the latter.

i like the comparison here

Hearing all the set "rules" regarding employment/independent contractor/sponsor
Stuff back to back just really drives home the amount insane corporate greed.

Anyone that sees no or even little problem with that is completely out of touch with reality and their own moral code.

I don't know where they came up with their math, but 19% of 609 million is 115.7 million. 13% of 1.14 billion is 148.2 million. As a percentage of total revenue, yes, that's less, but in actual dollar figures paid to fighters that's 32.5 million more. Plus it's already been pointed out that Conor McGregor has a warping effect on fighter pay because he's paid so much. Conor fought 3 times in 2015, and 0 times in 2022.

These articles are trying to make it sound like fighters took a pay cut, while almost everyone who was fighting for the UFC in 2015 that is still there now makes more money now. The percentage dropped because the UFC made more money, not because fighters' wages got cut.

I'm all for fighters making more money, but let's be honest about the data we're discussing.
I didn't see the insinuation that fighters took pay cuts, but I saw the clear reporting that, despite making way more $ today, they pay out a lower % to fighters - I thought that was the point they were making.

Am I missing where they claimed/insinuated that fighters were specifically taking pay cuts? Not being facetious - I skimmed it but I never got that impression. I'm wondering if ppl are making strawman arguments or if this claim was actually made.

Even 1 fight is more than half of Americans make in a year.. you guys are just a bit retarded to think everyone deserves to make 500k to a million a fight
It's like you guys can't comprehend capitalism or something.
You're contradicting yourself. Do you want people to be paid based on their economic value, or out of a moral concept like fairness?
I wonder what percentage of revenue Walmart pays their workers?
A Walmart store manager will outearn most UFC fighters while being significantly less economically productive. I'm also not sure what Walmart cashiers have to do with facepunching.

UFC should be giving fighters 25-30% at the very least. Obviously they won't do that unless somehow forced too.

What percentage of that goes to being double taxed as a contractor, having to purchase healthcare and put money in retirement, and then expenses?

I love how you are comparing employee and IC pay without realizing the difference.

The interesting thing is that people like Don King and Bob Arum get bad reps. But the way they took advantage of fighters is way less than UFC, who really bleed them dry.

Them two have had countless fighters they promoted make ridiculous generational wealth level amounts. Whereas the biggest stars in the UFC are way underpaid based on the money they're bringing in.

Like from what I saw, Gaethje made 600k and Poirier about 1.1 mil for the "BMF" fight. Boxers in a similar scale fight would have probably generated less money for the promoters but still made 2-5 times that.

Why would top class athletes choose MMA when the pay even when you work yourself to the pinnacle of the sport is so disproportionate?

Back