UFC Fight Island III: Benavidez v Figuereido II

Got 2u on Ramos, will hedge with Tsarukyan decision. If he wins it will be a smelly grind, guy goes for takedowns constantly no mater who the opponent. Ramos has a KO or SUB path to victory, otherwise I think he gets grinded out.

Ramos is slow and stiff, tsarukyen should easily outwork him, you dont have to look very far beyond the Ramos vs Makhachev fight to see what Tsarukyen's path to victory is.

Made some small yolo parleys and round stoppages lost them, and made up the unit with Riviera/Kattar parley last night

Will see if I can find a close to even odds fight or combo I really like and do the same here

Prepare for some very unpopular opinions here:

Rafael Fiziev has somehow only fought strikers. Extremely padded record, prior to the UFC he fought three fighters with winning records and they all won all of their fights in suspect organisations via 'Punch'. Watching the fights you can see they all try to through hands with Fiziev and don't even try to utilize a kicking game. It's weird. The guy is a Muay Thai coach for Tiger Muay Thai, has been competing in Muay Thai since he was 12, and you're gonna go in there with a rudimentary boxing approach? Yikes

Anyway, first instance with the UFC Fiziev gets put out immediately by a spin kick from Mustafaev. Can't blame him for that too much, Mustafaev had a lot of unknowns, threw the kicks fast with no wind-up and Fiziev is a notoriously slow starter. Maybe he was worried about grappling too, it's tough to say

Against Alex White... He won comfortably, but I can't say he looked good. Alex White is a BJJ guy with no real wrestling background and unspectacular striking. Fiziev outlanded him significantly BUT holy fuck the dude got hit clean A LOT. It's possible he just had no respect for Alex White's power, and fair enough, but you'd still like to see a lot more defence than Fiziev was showing. He also wasn't able to put ol' gasoline head out despite the fact White had been KO'd before (and stunned badly by Jim Miller no less), and despite visibly rocking White on a couple of occasions. In fact he didn't really show any killer instinct in these moments. He was however able to stuff a couple of single legs and naked double legs without ever looking in any real danger of being taken down (his double leg defence on a couple of occasions was a guillotine he used to knee his opponent in the face, which was awesome). There was a couple of occasions where White was holding Fiziev's leg up high and could have had a trip but just... Didn't even attempt it?

Marc Diakiesie is an athletic fighter that is known for his flashy striking style but initially started out as a grappler. He dropped three UFC fights in a row, but that's kind of misleading - Drakkar Klose caught him off guard with calf kicks, Hangman Hooker caught him in a guillotine due to reckless impatience as a result of frustration that they weren't fighting a banger for the fans, and given his slow start/lax nature in the opening rounds of the Haqparast fight it kind of seems like Diakiesie wasn't taking him seriously (the two were also former training partners, which complicates things - see: Khama Worthy v Devonte Smith). One fair criticism of Diakiesie is that he needs space to use his reach and fight his game properly and he struggled with the relentless pressure of Haqparast's boxing approach. Diakiesie's adjusted for this by adding calf kicks to his game, but neither Duffy nor Lando Vannata are pressure strikers so it's possible this is just a weakness that hasn't been properly exposed since

Fiziev doesn't have the footwork of Haqparast, is more hittable from the outside (as Alex White demonstrated), and his general conservation of energy in a fight means he's less likely to bomb forward non-stop to replicate Diakiesie's last loss's success. Diakiesie's grappling prowess and the question marks around Fiziev's defensive grappling offer an alternative path to victory (or a threat which makes the striking game easier), and Diakiesie's addition of calf kicks which I don't believe have been part of the Muay Thai meta creates one more puzzle for Fiziev to solve. Despite this, it's possible that by crowding Diakiesie with strikes and giving back combinations on the counter like Haqparast did in the first and second round respectively, Fiziev could knock Diakiesie down and secure his own path to victory

The current lines seem very fair and although I lean Diakiesie at this stage, the price of 1.58 is far too steep for a play due to Fiziev's power/pressure game/striking nous

Re Joe Duffy: Honestly he didn't look bad against Diakiesie at all, he just wasn't prepared for the calf kicks (which were were relatively new to MMA at that point and were a new weapon for Diakiesie)

In theory Duffy should be able to piece Alvarez up on the feet and on the off chance he has issues there, can take him to the ground. Alvarez only won his last fight because his opponent was absolutely hopeless off his back (although admittedly he did do a good job of using his range with push kicks and knees)

Can anyone explain why Fig is only -200 against joey B?

Like Askarov, Ramos and johns.

May be on more dogs. Also stabbed Alvarez at +290. I’d be surprised if Duffy looks like a near -400

I like Alvarez as well, not necessarily because Alvarez is good but due to Duffy's motivation. He is on a losing streak, has been inactive, and already mentioned retirement a couple times.

Ugly event last night

had to wager 500 on kattar to squeak out 50 bucks for the event

haven’t had a losing week in 5 weeks starting with 200 on 5dimes

this card I like jack and fig At first glance

lately have been liking betting newer fighters vs old school fighters

been losing betting fights where I literally never heard of em before

i genuinely believe he does it again? Joey's not some spring chicken.

I came in fully expecting to hammer Fig. But after watching that first fight you can tell how significant that headbutt was.

Imo Fig was slowing down considerably after the first round. Joe B didnt look like a world beater by any means but I think he was playing the long game vs Fig and it seemed to be working.

If I'm being honest this fight reminds me of Aldo vs Yan. Aldo had 2.5 rounds to finish Yan and couldnt. Fig has 2.5 rounds to finish Joey B or it could get ugly quick. (I'm not comparing the skillset between Yan and Joey B I'm just saying it reminds me of how that fight might play out)

Kelvin being overlooked...crazy value @ even expected line to go the other way, that’s all I’m feeling so far

I think I like Carlos Felipe a lot in this spot. He brought in two big guys to replicate Spivak. Last fight 3 years ago and he was only 22 at the time. Coming off USADA suspension (tainted supplement) Likely improved a lot since last fight. Found his fight against Wagner Maia. Looked okay there but gassed in R3 but pushed through nicely. I think he has decent hands and he swings hard. Often out of balance but I don't think that will cost him in this fight. Also I think he is faster than Serghei. Looks like he has some TDD as well. Spiwack is just awful I think there is value in Felipe. I see money coming in on that bum Sergei but don't know why.

Last edited:
How exactly does Brett Johns beat Montel Jackson? Because it looks like Jackson is better on the feet, has better wrestling, has no issue getting out of subs like Johns has a tendency to spam, and Johns doesn't have the athleticism that former football player Ricky Simon has to make life difficult for Jackson

Kelvin being overlooked...crazy value @ even expected line to go the other way, that’s all I’m feeling so far

Recency bias is huge. Everyone remembers the boring fight vs Till and attributes it more to Gastelum being a bum/lazy etc rather than giving the credit to Till for fighting an amazing fight.

What's Jack's path to victory in this fight. Wrestle? Good luck. Volume? If he does hes probably getting cracked..? Out work Gastelum? I guess.

My only concern is how much does Gastelum care at this point

How exactly does Brett Johns beat Montel Jackson? Because it looks like Jackson is better on the feet, has better wrestling, has no issue getting out of subs like Johns has a tendency to spam, and Johns doesn't have the athleticism that former football player Ricky Simon has to make life difficult for Jackson

Johns is indeed outmatched in pretty much every aspect except maybe cardio. The odds do reflect that though.

Recency bias is huge. Everyone remembers the boring fight vs Till and attributes it more to Gastelum being a bum/lazy etc rather than giving the credit to Till for fighting an amazing fight.

What's Jack's path to victory in this fight. Wrestle? Good luck. Volume? If he does hes probably getting cracked..? Out work Gastelum? I guess.

My only concern is how much does Gastelum care at this point

He coukd replicate Tills gameplan. Clinch a lot and add some sweeps/bodylocks to get busy on the ground. It's not like Gastelum has amazing tdd.

Took benavidez ITD +650, 0.25u and Gastelum ITD, 0.75u, pokerstarssports

Haven't done tape yet, but it's worth noting that Jack Hermansson hasn't fought a single American wrestler. Not once.

Kelvin doesn't have amazing TDD... Against American wrestlers. Hermansson doesn't exactly have any takedowns Kelvin hasn't seen before, and based on the Adesanya fight Kelvin's cardio isn't that bad either (or his power for that matter). He also hasn't been knocked out while Hermansson had both the Santos and the Cannonier fights (Till isn't really relevant because being KO'd up a weight class is harder, see: Whittaker at 170 v 185, Burns at 155 v 170, Hangman at 145 v 155)

Back