UFC Fight Night: Blaydes vs. Aspinall

I can't wait to see what he shows us next. :D

Kid makes me laugh and has a great personality for the sport. Pretty talented too.

But his hairstyle makes me want to see him take a beating.

Sometimes it’s not just hype that people see in a fighter. Aspinall dismantles people now. Blaydes has not beaten really anyone.

Holy shit dude

Who has Aspinall beaten? Washed Volkov? Guess what Blaydes beat Volkov when Volkov was actually in his prime. Other than that Blaydes has beaten Overeem when Reem was ranked close to top 5. Jair too. I get what you are trying to say but it's very shitty thing to say and can be debunked within seconds. If you wanna hype up Aspinall just say blaydes has not fought anyone with good BJJ.

what level of bjj has Curtis Blaydes shown or even fought against? What does he look like if he gets his back taken or ends up on his back?

Aspinal has been training bjj since he was a child with his brother.

I don’t think he needs world class bjj to sub Blaydes
Ok, so you're extrapolating and guessing he has good bjj. That's fine, I'm not arguing with you guys, I was just wondering if there was bjj footage that I was missing.

the whole uk(not usa and Brazilian) blackbelt is silly
Craig Jones is an Australian blackbelt and he is one of the best grapplers on the planet
Jones is an outlier who didn't spend his whole career training in Australia. BJJ is not good in the UK. It's new to them so it'll obviously take a while to have good coaching and training starting with kids and continuing through their whole career. That's not to say there won't be a special talent that pops up now and then but your level over there is not as good as the level in places where it's been around longer.

I'm wondering if anyone has a take on the durability of Aspinall/Blaydes. First off...I know...HW. Everyone can KO everyone. That aside, has anyone taped and gotten any sort of read on each guy's durability. I'm not gonna have any time to tape at all, I probably won't make a play on the fight but I'm gonna put a bunch of DK lineups in while I sit at (another) swim meet waiting on my kid's 3 races each day.

Aspinall--I can't remember him being hit flush really just going off memory. He moves so fluidly, I'm trying to think of any times where he ate really good shots and walked through them but none come to mind.

Blaydes--Obviously all 3 of his losses by stoppage but that's Ngannou x 2 and Lewis. 2 of the hardest hitters in the history of MMA. I'm trying to remember if he ate good shots from anyone else and shrugged them off. Overeem? Volkov?

Because both these guys have fast hands and will throw combos in the pocket, it's hard to imagine it going too long before one lands something pretty significant. The determining factor **could** be whether one guy can take a shot and be fine and then land his own.

The Austin fight was 7 years ago, he had 3 years off in between fights since then. He's a completely different fighter.

Natural heavyweights in their early to mid twenties are always going to be at a disadvantage against older journeyman opponents because they haven't had the time to naturally develop the strength necessary to fight in the division; assuming they haven't used PEDs. I would never suggest 23 year old Tom Aspinall is going to fight the same as 29 year old Tom Aspinall. He has almost certainly leveled up in every single area and is now physically on a more level playing field with his opponents. The problem though is 23 year old Tom Aspinall working off of his back, 6-7 years ago, is the most up to date footage of Aspinall working off his back in a fight.

Treat the footage with a heavy grain of salt but to dismiss the footage outright would be a mistake in my opinion.

Natural heavyweights in their early to mid twenties are always going to be at a disadvantage against older journeyman opponents because they haven't had the time to naturally develop the strength necessary to fight in the division; assuming they haven't used PEDs. I would never suggest 23 year old Tom Aspinall is going to fight the same as 29 year old Tom Aspinall. He has almost certainly leveled up in every single area and is now physically on a more level playing field with his opponents. The problem though is 23 year old Tom Aspinall working off of his back, 6-7 years ago, is the most up to date footage of Aspinall working off his back in a fight.

Treat the footage with a heavy grain of salt but to dismiss the footage outright would be a mistake in my opinion.

I get it, I just don't think it's relevant footage. I hadn't even started BJJ 7 years ago and I've got a pretty good game off my back now.

I don't think I'd sub Curtis Blaydes or anything, but for a pro-athlete it's possible to have made completely game changing improvements in that time.

I'm wondering if anyone has a take on the durability of Aspinall/Blaydes. First off...I know...HW. Everyone can KO everyone. That aside, has anyone taped and gotten any sort of read on each guy's durability. I'm not gonna have any time to tape at all, I probably won't make a play on the fight but I'm gonna put a bunch of DK lineups in while I sit at (another) swim meet waiting on my kid's 3 races each day.

Aspinall--I can't remember him being hit flush really just going off memory. He moves so fluidly, I'm trying to think of any times where he ate really good shots and walked through them but none come to mind.

Blaydes--Obviously all 3 of his losses by stoppage but that's Ngannou x 2 and Lewis. 2 of the hardest hitters in the history of MMA. I'm trying to remember if he ate good shots from anyone else and shrugged them off. Overeem? Volkov?

Because both these guys have fast hands and will throw combos in the pocket, it's hard to imagine it going too long before one lands something pretty significant. The determining factor **could** be whether one guy can take a shot and be fine and then land his own.

I think they're both pretty durable, more because of their speed than having a great chin. I think Blaydes is the more questionable just because he doesn't move his head as well. Aspinall is so quick that nobody seems to land clean on him.

I'm interested in the grappling aspect before the takedown is completed. I can see Blaydes shooting like he does on most people and Aspinall hurting him with elbows to the ear. I was surprised that the O 2.5 is only +105ish. I thought the fight going long would be a pretty big dog and I was planning on betting it. Not at that price though.

I think they're both pretty durable, more because of their speed than having a great chin. I think Blaydes is the more questionable just because he doesn't move his head as well. Aspinall is so quick that nobody seems to land clean on him.

I'm interested in the grappling aspect before the takedown is completed. I can see Blaydes shooting like he does on most people and Aspinall hurting him with elbows to the ear. I was surprised that the O 2.5 is only +105ish. I thought the fight going long would be a pretty big dog and I was planning on betting it. Not at that price though.

Good feedback, thanks. For DK purposes, the winner is likely going be in the optimal lineup. The line is close so both guys have middling salaries but the winner will almost surely score big. Most likely with an early stoppage, or a small chance Blaydes is able to grind and hit a bunch of TD's like he did vs Volkov. If I do 20 lineups or so, I'll probably only leave this fight off 2-3. Probably Aspinall in 10, Blaydes in 7, and maybe 3 outlier lineups in case something screwy happens and it ends up a 5 round staring contest with no big score either way.

Normally I wouldn't recommend watching pre-ufc fights for fighters with 5+ UFC bouts but given how little adversity Aspinall has faced in the UFC I would recommend watching his lone submission loss to Stuart Austin. It is 90% grappling and the longest bout of his MMA career. He is taken down 4 times but more notably is controlled on the ground for the last two minutes of the first round and the first three minutes of the second round.

He was facing a very difficult opponent and almost certainly has made massive improvements everywhere but it provides good insight into how Aspinall fights off his back.

Aspinall's other professional loss was by disqualification to Lukasz Parobiec. There doesn't appear to be footage available online anymore of this fight but from what I recall he was disqualified for a landing a 12-6 elbow to the back of his opponents head as he was frantically pounding him out. Aspinall was knocked down during both the first and second round, the second knockdown was brutal from what I remember, so he may not have had all of his faculties when he he was DQed.

I definitely would not recommend placing the biggest bet you have ever made on Aspinall in this spot, as exceptional as he may be, he has his vulnerabilities like every other fighter.

The fight was too long ago to be relevant. 6 years is enough time for a guy to develop a solid td defense, Curtis not known for the best entries as we saw in the lewis fight. Even his standup is very bad here doesn't have the same level of awareness defensively. The guy that knocked him down was a iska kickboxer champion and bare knuckle boxer Łukasz Parobiec - Wikipedia. I think Tom was 1 dimensional bjj guy with decent hands then, he looks night and day different.

I time stamped his grappling training, you can see he is more athletic more slimer, faster and shaper , i dont think Staurt would last a round if they fought again. I actually think Curtis can make it competitive on the feet.

Your logic was flawed since outside of Volkov whom they both fought Aspinails best win is Arlovski.

Blaydes clearly had the much tougher opposition.
yeah but who did better against Volk? Curtis looked out of breath tired and fatigued. Tom didn't break a sweat.

Holy shit dude

Who has Aspinall beaten? Washed Volkov? Guess what Blaydes beat Volkov when Volkov was actually in his prime. Other than that Blaydes has beaten Overeem when Reem was ranked close to top 5. Jair too. I get what you are trying to say but it's very shitty thing to say and can be debunked within seconds. If you wanna hype up Aspinall just say blaydes has not fought anyone with good BJJ.

bruh instead of trolling every post I make for whatever reason you have just go place a wager on blaydes lmao
I bet from my gut and then try to explain it and maybe it doesn’t read well or maybe the “logic is flawed” but Aspinall looks like the real deal to me and that’s where my bet will go.
Either way good luck with your bets

Aspinall--I can't remember him being hit flush really just going of.

Aspinall got cracked by Arlovski pretty clean. His chin seems pretty good.

Blaydes is the most durable heavyweight apart from Ngannou. Ngannou didn't even fully knock him out. First was a doctor stoppage and on the 2nd fight he was still conscious and trying to wrestle which is impressive considering ngannous power

I dunno....I seem to remember Blaydes being on skates against Hunt. He got his bearings back but it looked like he was on his way out to me

I dunno....I seem to remember Blaydes being on skates against Hunt. He got his bearings back but it looked like he was on his way out to me

Hunt also one of the hardest hitters in MMA history though...

Hunt also one of the hardest hitters in MMA history though...

Yeah like Lewis and Ngannou. I know he gassed against Volkov and IIRC Volkov landed a scary shot or 2 late on him before he landed a takedown and secured control. I can't recall if Aspinall has that type of power though. Not gonna bother researching since I'm not interested in betting that one. My main concern always for Blaydes is whether or not he's gonna have someone land and wobble him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonSable
Back