UFC Fight Night: Ortega vs. Zombie

Gonna break the fights down in segments, these are the early prelims with my picks in brackets

Ziam +111 vs [Mularkey -135]

Ziam is a great guy for the regional scene in that he can do everything passably but I do not see him succeeding at the UFC level. Firstly, he's very passive and wilts back when pressed without offering anything until it hits the cage. Against the cage he isn't terrible, he can dig underhooks, take dominant foot position, jack dudes up that drop but there's nothing stinging coming back to discourage pressing him. Secondly, even when he is allowed to do his thing and awkwardly jerk in open space, he looks rough. His head movement is wiiiiide, his footwork is really stiff and unnatural, he doesn't feint and worst of all, he doesn't know how to sit down on his strikes without overextending. His punches are either a looping shot that pulls him way forward of his center or are wild WorldStar haymakers. The last knock on him is his defense is a really rudimentary high guard with nothing else and it gets abandoned whenever he goes on offense, leaving him really open to sharp counters.

What he does have going for him is pretty excellent timing. When he throws knees, elbows, kicks, they're typically in the right window and look clean, especially his low kicks. He's also a willing grappler when being outstruck and these are decently times too. That said, they aren't pretty takedowns and his trip game is non-existent. I don't see him taking down or holding down anyone competent for anything more than a moment.

Mularkey is actually a fairly decent fighter that drew a really hard first fight in the UFC. It gave a pretty bad impression of what he's actually good at since he knew he was heavily outclassed on the feet. If you refer to his regional footage, he's a pretty sharp boxer that uses his shot as a change of pace. Mularkey moves more naturally and confidently and will almost certainly be the fighter looking to pressure here. He has a very sharp one-two as well as a solid sense of how to use boxing combinations between the body and head. Decent feints and head movement really round out a solid wrestle-boxer style. He utilizes leg kicks but he doesn't want to get into two much of a range kicking match with Ziam. His biggest knock is he abandons his defense when he's really feeling his striking and it can leave him open to getting cracked.

I see this fight really only going one way and that's Ziam getting bullied. His striking style leads him open to getting pressured and bopped by straight punches, of which Mularkey throws regularly. His movement is too poor and his head movement too wide to trade with a better boxer for any length of time. They both situationally grapple but Mularkey is just a cleaner, more powerful grappler and much more aggressive when he's in a dominant position. Ziam will have needed to make a pretty dramatic jump since his last fight or Mularkey would need to have been really changed after the beating Riddell laid on him for Ziam to have a shot in this one.

Said -420 vs [Streigel +316]

Said is here for the spinny shit. Big time. He's very smooth, natural and when he's not being pressured his footwork is clean. He can attack the body at all levels and pumps a low kick frequently. His strikes come off with pop, especially his exotic kicks. I haven't seen anything that would indicate he intends to wrestle. He can counter wrestle but nothing exceptional. Where it starts to fall apart is the nuts and bolts of his striking game. He does have a good jab but there isn't a lot of connective tissue holding the game-plan together. This gets really exposed late in the fight when he's tired and is just lazily throwing out his single strikes. It's hidden early on because of how fast his strikes fly and the volume he throws them at. Another issue is he seems way to comfortable throwing his kicks naked. Again, he gets away with it because they're really fast but that works a lot better against regional opponents than it does people that really gameplan for you. He also backs up in straight lines and his flashy game falls apart when he's really pressured until he collects himself.

There really isn't a lot out there on Streigel and he hasn't fought in 18 months, that said, homie is a diehard, committed wrestler and a monster athlete. His shot is very clean, timing is nice and he drives around and through well. He 100% is coming to wrestle from the bell in this fight. His striking is rough rough and Said will tear his shit up if he sits at range with him for any length of time. I don't think there's any question that he's going to wrestle though. I also think he's very likely to ground Said at least a few times.

I don't know if he's going to hold him down though, that's really the big question. Neither fighter has a great gas tank but I think Said's is better. It's gonna come down to who can enforce the gameplan here. If Streigel gasses Said out, he's gonna dominate him in the third and probably get away with two rounds. If he doesn't, I feel pretty confident he's getting finished here. Why I'm leaning towards Streigel is the value, the commitment to his gameplan and specifically the naked kicks and constant spins from Said that are begging for him to be taken down. That said, Said is a very justified favorite and easily could beat the fuck out of Streigel, I just don't see any value in a -420 in this particular matchup.

[Antigulov +273] vs Grishin -355

Antigulov cannot strike, his gas tank is bad, his IQ is worse and he doesn't have defense. He's about as glass cannon grappler as it gets and he looks worse with each fight. He is a really really good wrestler though. Operating mostly out of the high c and singles, his stuff is slick and works. You can also reasonably count on him to shoot. Not nearly as much as you can a guy like Streigel though, which takes a bit of value off. Grishin isn't Cutelaba however and if Antigulov does decide to bang with him it won't be an immediate ticket to the shadow realm. It would still be a bad idea but it's not a death sentence for him to mix it up.

Grishin is a nuts and bolts kickboxer. He throws powerful kicks, decent hands, doesn't really combo anything but hits with pop. He's really stiff and upright which won't help him against a dominant wrestler at all. He's still leagues better at striking than Antigulov and if he stuffs takedowns or Antigulov gasses, this'll also be a finish. His defensive wrestling isn't bad and he does work to his feet well, I just don't think it's the level of grappling he's gonna need to not get grounded in this matchup.

One thing I feel that's been overstated lately is how bad Antigulov's gastank is. His last 5 fights have ended in this first round and while I don't think his conditioning is great, I don't think it's accurate to say he's gassing that fast. Ion blasted him when he decided to bang, Michel caught him super early and he was doing exactly what he wanted to Craig before he tapped. I say this not because I think he's gonna go 3 with Grishin because I think he probably needs a finish, as much as I'm trying to say I don't think he's gonna fall apart 3 minutes into the fight. Grishin also being committed to working his way up and not being a sub guy should help Antigulov here as it'll let him be full offense and not worried about a ridiculous submission again. This is probably a finish either or way as a tired Antigulov doesn't stand a change on the feet against Grishin, regardless of how rote and flat his kickboxing appears. I'm gonna side with the grappler here because I think the value is there, but I can't fault anyone for playing Grishin by finish.

[Jun Yong Park -255] vs John Phillips +203

I'm not gonna waste my time writing a lot here. Phillips is gonna get taken down hella, maybe subbed and even on the feet he isn't knocking Park out without landing the perfect shot. I wouldn't bet by finish as Phillips is tough as hell and I don't know if Park's sub skills are dependable or if he'll go for something else. I mean, it'll probably still hit but it would suck to bet finish and just have John Phillips ironman your finish bet to a clear 30-27 loss.

Last edited:
7 months ago I bet my entire bankroll on Kevin motherfuckin' Lee, and said if he lost I'd retire from MMA betting/Sherdog.

I disappeared for a while, but I'm back with a vengeance.

Hope everyone has been well. Lesson learned -- don't throw your entire bankroll on one fight, ESPECIALLY if it's Kevin Lee(for the record, his standup was looking decent. The SECOND he shot in for that low quality TD in the third round, I knew he was done. Fight IQ of a chipmunk).

I got burned hard on that very same fight. Kevin “I see holes in his game” Lee. Never again. I blame the Gillespie fight got me thinking he was gonna come out and head kick the entire division

Loving the vibe of this thread, loved the analysis on this page alone. Especially from initially who is looking outside the box.

I also had a feeling brian didn’t have a good relationship with matchmakers/Dana. Them pairing him up with zombie back in December seemed like they were sacrificing a lamb. I guess since Ortega had more time to study zombie, he should be able to put up more of a fight... however, zombie has so much experience in MMA he can seriously be considered an og of the game who happens to be in his physical and mental prime.

Im actually leaning TKZ decision now because I find it hard to imagine Brian... But at the same time do we just picture Brian being able to take those shots for 5 rounds??? Yeah, I think I’m gonna stick with my initial reaction on a rd2 tko. Sitting at +900 right now on BOL o_o

I think Martinez is going to stop Almieda within 2 rounds. Almieda is super chinny, 2 year layoff or not. Martinez has that sneaky back step in knee and crisp boxing/footwork. He's also fast and accurate. I I'll probably play Martinez rounds 1/2.

Gonna break the fights down in segments, these are the early prelims with my picks in brackets

Ziam is a great guy for the regional scene in that he can do everything passably but I do not see him succeeding at the UFC level. Firstly, he's very passive and wilts back when pressed without offering anything until it hits the cage. Against the cage he isn't terrible, he can dig underhooks, take dominant foot position, jack dudes up that drop but there's nothing stinging coming back to discourage pressing him. Secondly, even when he is allowed to do his thing and awkwardly jerk in open space, he looks rough. His head movement is wiiiiide, his footwork is really stiff and unnatural, he doesn't feint and worst of all, he doesn't know how to sit down on his strikes without overextending. His punches are either a looping shot that pulls him way forward of his center or are wild WorldStar haymakers. The last knock on him is his defense is a really rudimentary high guard with nothing else and it gets abandoned whenever he goes on offense, leaving him really open to sharp counters.

What he does have going for him is pretty excellent timing. When he throws knees, elbows, kicks, they're typically in the right window and look clean, especially his low kicks. He's also a willing grappler when being outstruck and these are decently times too. That said, they aren't pretty takedowns and his trip game is non-existent. I don't see him taking down or holding down anyone competent for anything more than a moment.

Mularkey is actually a fairly decent fighter that drew a really hard first fight in the UFC. It gave a pretty bad impression of what he's actually good at since he knew he was heavily outclassed on the feet. If you refer to his regional footage, he's a pretty sharp boxer that uses his shot as a change of pace. Mularkey moves more naturally and confidently and will almost certainly be the fighter looking to pressure here. He has a very sharp one-two as well as a solid sense of how to use boxing combinations between the body and head. Decent feints and head movement really round out a solid wrestle-boxer style. He utilizes leg kicks but he doesn't want to get into two much of a range kicking match with Ziam. His biggest knock is he abandons his defense when he's really feeling his striking and it can leave him open to getting cracked.

I see this fight really only going one way and that's Ziam getting bullied. His striking style leads him open to getting pressured and bopped by straight punches, of which Mularkey throws regularly. His movement is too poor and his head movement too wide to trade with a better boxer for any length of time. They both situationally grapple but Mularkey is just a cleaner, more powerful grappler and much more aggressive when he's in a dominant position. Ziam will have needed to make a pretty dramatic jump since his last fight or Mularkey would need to have been really changed after the beating Riddell laid on him for Ziam to have a shot in this one.

Said is here for the spinny shit. Big time. He's very smooth, natural and when he's not being pressured his footwork is clean. He can attack the body at all levels and pumps a low kick frequently. His strikes come off with pop, especially his exotic kicks. I haven't seen anything that would indicate he intends to wrestle. He can counter wrestle but nothing exceptional. Where it starts to fall apart is the nuts and bolts of his striking game. He does have a good jab but there isn't a lot of connective tissue holding the game-plan together. This gets really exposed late in the fight when he's tired and is just lazily throwing out his single strikes. It's hidden early on because of how fast his strikes fly and the volume he throws them at. Another issue is he seems way to comfortable throwing his kicks naked. Again, he gets away with it because they're really fast but that works a lot better against regional opponents than it does people that really gameplan for you. He also backs up in straight lines and his flashy game falls apart when he's really pressured until he collects himself.

There really isn't a lot out there on Streigel and he hasn't fought in 18 months, that said, homie is a diehard, committed wrestler and a monster athlete. His shot is very clean, timing is nice and he drives around and through well. He 100% is coming to wrestle from the bell in this fight. His striking is rough rough and Said will tear his shit up if he sits at range with him for any length of time. I don't think there's any question that he's going to wrestle though. I also think he's very likely to ground Said at least a few times.

I don't know if he's going to hold him down though, that's really the big question. Neither fighter has a great gas tank but I think Said's is better. It's gonna come down to who can enforce the gameplan here. If Streigel gasses Said out, he's gonna dominate him in the third and probably get away with two rounds. If he doesn't, I feel pretty confident he's getting finished here. Why I'm leaning towards Streigel is the value, the commitment to his gameplan and specifically the naked kicks and constant spins from Said that are begging for him to be taken down. That said, Said is a very justified favorite and easily could beat the fuck out of Streigel, I just don't see any value in a -420 in this particular matchup.

Antigulov cannot strike, his gas tank is bad, his IQ is worse and he doesn't have defense. He's about as glass cannon grappler as it gets and he looks worse with each fight. He is a really really good wrestler though. Operating mostly out of the high c and singles, his stuff is slick and works. You can also reasonably count on him to shoot. Not nearly as much as you can a guy like Streigel though, which takes a bit of value off. Grishin isn't Cutelaba however and if Antigulov does decide to bang with him it won't be an immediate ticket to the shadow realm. It would still be a bad idea but it's not a death sentence for him to mix it up.

Grishin is a nuts and bolts kickboxer. He throws powerful kicks, decent hands, doesn't really combo anything but hits with pop. He's really stiff and upright which won't help him against a dominant wrestler at all. He's still leagues better at striking than Antigulov and if he stuffs takedowns or Antigulov gasses, this'll also be a finish. His defensive wrestling isn't bad and he does work to his feet well, I just don't think it's the level of grappling he's gonna need to not get grounded in this matchup.

One thing I feel that's been overstated lately is how bad Antigulov's gastank is. His last 5 fights have ended in this first round and while I don't think his conditioning is great, I don't think it's accurate to say he's gassing that fast. Ion blasted him when he decided to bang, Michel caught him super early and he was doing exactly what he wanted to Craig before he tapped. I say this not because I think he's gonna go 3 with Grishin because I think he probably needs a finish, as much as I'm trying to say I don't think he's gonna fall apart 3 minutes into the fight. Grishin also being committed to working his way up and not being a sub guy should help Antigulov here as it'll let him be full offense and not worried about a ridiculous submission again. This is probably a finish either or way as a tired Antigulov doesn't stand a change on the feet against Grishin, regardless of how rote and flat his kickboxing appears. I'm gonna side with the grappler here because I think the value is there, but I can't fault anyone for playing Grishin by finish.

I'm not gonna waste my time writing a lot here. Phillips is gonna get taken down hella, maybe subbed and even on the feet he isn't knocking Park out without landing the perfect shot. I wouldn't bet by finish as Phillips is tough as hell and I don't know if Park's sub skills are dependable or if he'll go for something else. I mean, it'll probably still hit but it would suck to bet finish and just have John Phillips ironman your finish bet to a clear 30-27 loss.

Awesome work dude. I don't contribute much here, my english is not great, I'm just an observer. But I appreciate this kind of analysis from peopleo outside the usual bubble.

I normally laugh at long analysis posts since they're filled with statements having no connection to reality, but this one is very good, and deserves to be praised as such.

The only one of these I've analyzed myself thus far is a battle of my countrymen, Antigulov-Grishin, and I came to almost the exact same conclusions you did. I would only add two points;

1. Grishin looked especially lethargic against Tybura, being slow even as the much smaller man at heavyweight and throwing one punch at a time. Given that he is 36 and had a long career, he is definitely declining as a fighter, which makes any ML or finish bets on him at these numbers impossible.

2. At the same time, Grishin matches up reasonably well with Antigulov, for many of the reasons you noted. We saw him fight Jordan Johnson twice, a comparably good wrestler with a much better gas tank and much better striking than Antigulov. The fights were close, but Grishin won the 3-rounder and would have won the 2-rounder that was a draw if extended the extra stanza.

He would really have to slip on a banana peel and Antigulov would have to be at his very best to pull this off, so the given odds are likely about accurate.

Anywho, in recognition of a good post, let me give a serious analysis of Botelho versus Robertson.

At first, I was very excited when I saw Botelho at over +200 here. Botelho has some genuinely powerful strikes, namely her right cross and her body kick, and has solid wrestling on top of that. Why in the world is she such a big underdog against a fighter with horrendous, possibly even regressing striking that hates getting punched in the face and has a bad tendency to quit when in a bad situation? (Barber and Honchak)

Alas, it wasn't just the oddsmakers making a mistake here. Botelho relies too much on leg kicks, which the opportunistic Robertson can absolutely take advantage of, and moreover, Robertson's use of the single-leg will attack Botelho's weak balance. Botelho's poor movement makes it fairly easy to clinch with her, and unlike Maycee Barber, she doesn't have any punches from close range with which to punish Robertson. Once Botelho is on her back, based on what we've seen, Robertson should dominate her. Botelho's cardio is also a major concern; if she doesn't knock out Robertson, but merely dominates her for the first 1.5 rounds, Robertson can absolutely come back and win anyways if the Brazilian gasses as badly as she did against Mueller.

Maybe she has addressed some or all of these problems in the past 18 months since the Mueller fight, but that's not enough hope at +200.

I normally laugh at long analysis posts since they're filled with statements having no connection to reality, but this one is very good, and deserves to be praised as such.

The only one of these I've analyzed myself thus far is a battle of my countrymen, Antigulov-Grishin, and I came to almost the exact same conclusions you did. I would only add two points;

1. Grishin looked especially lethargic against Tybura, being slow even as the much smaller man at heavyweight and throwing one punch at a time. Given that he is 36 and had a long career, he is definitely declining as a fighter, which makes any ML or finish bets on him at these numbers impossible.

2. At the same time, Grishin matches up reasonably well with Antigulov, for many of the reasons you noted. We saw him fight Jordan Johnson twice, a comparably good wrestler with a much better gas tank and much better striking than Antigulov. The fights were close, but Grishin won the 3-rounder and would have won the 2-rounder that was a draw if extended the extra stanza.

He would really have to slip on a banana peel and Antigulov would have to be at his very best to pull this off, so the given odds are likely about accurate.
On Antigulov-Grishin. I think Antigulov's cardio is getting a bit overblown due to the Cutelaba fight (and Cutelaba is a lot of PED-fortified muscle and aggression. Grishin is not that), as the Craig & Olek losses had more to do with idiocy than cardio. Wouldn't shock me if this fight was lined a lot closer to evens if it wasn't for the Craig loss, and I just don't think the Craig loss has any relevance on anything but a Craig rematch.

Very good chance Antigulov wins R1 just off a combo of having forward movement and actually doing things. Even in his close decisions against Johnson on PFL, the output gap was pretty staggering between the two. Johnson attempted/landed more strikes and they were razor-thin decisions. Then it's easy enough to jump off with a livebet.

Man, I watched tape on Gane/Delija for a few hours last night, and legitimately capped Delija at +120.

Threw 400 bucks on him at +400, and now the fight is cancelled.

Fuck

Yeah. Deljia had legit hindsight-favorite upside there.

I think Fares Ziam/Mullarkey under 2.5 at plus money is a good bet

Fuck Gane is out, had a big parlay with him and Crute (parlay was -190ish or so), I want to replace Gane by Park in this parlay, but need to tape that before.

Anywho, in recognition of a good post, let me give a serious analysis of Botelho versus Robertson.

At first, I was very excited when I saw Botelho at over +200 here. Botelho has some genuinely powerful strikes, namely her right cross and her body kick, and has solid wrestling on top of that. Why in the world is she such a big underdog against a fighter with horrendous, possibly even regressing striking that hates getting punched in the face and has a bad tendency to quit when in a bad situation? (Barber and Honchak)

Alas, it wasn't just the oddsmakers making a mistake here. Botelho relies too much on leg kicks, which the opportunistic Robertson can absolutely take advantage of, and moreover, Robertson's use of the single-leg will attack Botelho's weak balance. Botelho's poor movement makes it fairly easy to clinch with her, and unlike Maycee Barber, she doesn't have any punches from close range with which to punish Robertson. Once Botelho is on her back, based on what we've seen, Robertson should dominate her. Botelho's cardio is also a major concern; if she doesn't knock out Robertson, but merely dominates her for the first 1.5 rounds, Robertson can absolutely come back and win anyways if the Brazilian gasses as badly as she did against Mueller.

Maybe she has addressed some or all of these problems in the past 18 months since the Mueller fight, but that's not enough hope at +200.

Can't help but think that's a jab aimed at me. I agree that Robertson has a good single leg and could definitely get it down off that, but do you really count the Honchak fight? It was TUF and not a good representation of a normal fight camp. Robertson's striking hasn't ever been that great, but what makes you say she's regressing? She's very tentative on the feet and I agree that she doesn't like to be hit, but which performances make you think she's getting worse at striking? Also, is Botelho really a good wrestler? I didn't see that, but you've been around a lot longer and know a lot more so I respect your opinion. I saw Botelho stop Pearl Gonzalez, but I haven't seen any significant takedown defense from her where I could say she has solid wrestling. Which Robertson fight had a leg kick catch takedown? Robertson used a body kick catch takedown against Macedo, but I haven't seen her catch a leg kick. Barber did her damage with punches in the pocket then elbows in the clinch, but Robertson showed good heart/chin and kept her guard up so why would you say she quit when it was an early ref stoppage? Robertson looked to be defending herself and was throwing punches back at first, but just covering up was a bad look. She also didn't look that dazed or close to being dropped and walked away from the stoppage in pretty good shape.

Who do you guys feel is the most live underdog on this card?

You are 400 bucks richer
<BC1>

Possibly. Coastal Carolina's ML just hit, so that's a nice little chunk of change from that 400.

I swear when KZ/Ortega was made a while ago, the odds were closer. I'm hoping to get KZ around -150. I'd play him at the current odds, but I'm being greedy waiting for people to bet on Ortega.

Can't help but think that's a jab aimed at me.

Considering this is the first post of yours I've ever read, you are wrong.

In fact, since I've barely been reading the weekly discussion topics for over a year now, I'm laughing at the idea that I would make blind item jabs at someone who joined 3 days ago and has 3 whole posts.

I agree that Robertson has a good single leg and could definitely get it down off that, but do you really count the Honchak fight?

The Honchak fight is irrelevant to Robertson's present-day physical skills. But it's very relevant to her mental side, especially since she repeated the exact same behavior against Barber. So she quit in 2017 and then she quit again in late 2019. Seems relevant, no?

Robertson's striking hasn't ever been that great, but what makes you say she's regressing? She's very tentative on the feet and I agree that she doesn't like to be hit, but which performances make you think she's getting worse at striking?

The Casey fight. Again, I can note the specific things that she is doing worse.

Also, is Botelho really a good wrestler?

She certainly isn't, which is why I never used the adjective "good". I'm very careful about the words I use in describing fighters.

I didn't see that, but you've been around a lot longer and know a lot more so I respect your opinion. I saw Botelho stop Pearl Gonzalez, but I haven't seen any significant takedown defense from her where I could say she has solid wrestling. Which Robertson fight had a leg kick catch takedown? Robertson used a body kick catch takedown against Macedo, but I haven't seen her catch a leg kick.

There's nothing especially complicated or difficult about the intrinsic act of catching a kick, whether aimed at the body or legs. Some fighters are better at it than others, obviously, but I will give Robertson, who is good at timing her entries, enough credit that she can do this, especially since it makes snapping down on the single much easier.

Barber did her damage with punches in the pocket then elbows in the clinch, but Robertson showed good heart/chin and kept her guard up so why would you say she quit when it was an early ref stoppage? Robertson looked to be defending herself and was throwing punches back at first, but just covering up was a bad look. She also didn't look that dazed or close to being dropped and walked away from the stoppage in pretty good shape.

Robertson was told to get out of there or intelligently defend herself by the ref, and instead she ineffectually curled up instead of going back to clinch, which was available. The stoppage was probably too early, but any professional fighter knows how close a ref is to ending the match there.

Back