UFC needs to stop with the Cain Mexican bit

Stipe is very proud of his Croation heritage and his fans hold up Croatian flags all the time just like Cain's fans hold up Mexican flags.

But it only seems like one bothers you for some reason.

Stipe.jpg
I think you miss the point.
UFC is not pushing Miocic as a croatian fighter. Yet they push Cain as being Mexican all the time.
Heck, they went to Mexico and tried to tap that marked using Cain as their "local hero".

But you never heard the UFC making an event in Croatia because Miocic was their champ, did you?

he is more mexican than american, he is more mexican than burrito and tacos

Because you don't like people who are passionate about their heritage?

That's not a two way street though.....Cain can be proud of his heritage. If I act proud of my German heritage, then I'm deemed racist or a Nazi.

Immigrants will (almost) always have non-trivial loyalty and connection to the motherland and heritage.

It's one of the reasons why America's immigration policy is stunningly irrational.

Except Cains not an immigrant. He was born here. He is an American.

Oh well....these threads have little hope: it will die soon. Whenever things get too heavy on heritage and polarize people, the thread is defunct.

People clinging to heritage do so for many reasons. But the pro fighters doing it, for the most part, look for an extra bunch of eyes to bring them revenue. It's really blatant with the Brazilian fighters who were actually born in another country, but many are fully american by now: live in the US, consume in the US, educate their children there. What the f*ck do they have in common with the brazilian fans who cheer for them? Exception is maybe Aldo from the bigger names.

Cain can claim to be Mexican-american, whatever: but he has no idea what life in Mexico, the daily grind, is like.

This just seems very selective. Stipe comes out in Croatian flag shorts even though he is "fully American."

Marcus Davis is nicknamed "The Irish Hand Grenade" and "The Celtic Warrior" despite being born in Maine.

I don't see how this is somehow only relevant to Mexicans and Brazilians.

Hell most of my friends are super proud of their European ancestry despite not speaking a lick of German, Swedish, or whatever else and never visiting there.

Cain wishes he was brown and could speak fluent spanish but sadly he is not

lol, he's whiter than most White people, that's why he needs a tattoo on that white chest saying that's he's brown.

Cain's always striving for something he's not: I'm brown (white as a ghost), I'm Mexican (can't speak the language)

I think you miss the point.
UFC is not pushing Miocic as a croatian fighter. Yet they push Cain as being Mexican all the time.
Heck, they went to Mexico and tried to tap that marked using Cain as their "local hero".

But you never heard the UFC making an event in Croatia because Miocic was their champ, did you?

Yeah no shit they are trying to tap into the lucrative Mexican combat sports market. And in lieu of having a legit Mexican star they use what they have.

However, it seems like someone coming out covered in a foreign flag when they are from Cleveland is much more egregious than Dana and the UFC hype machine trying to tap into a market for someone else. It's not Cain's fault they tried to push that "first Mexican HW champion angle.

The dude is god damn American. If he's Mexican, Stipe is Croatian. I don't know why Mexican Cain has always bugged me.
Come on man let’s get real the first thing you think when you see Cain is that he is Mexican, so does everyone else.
Is normal don’t worry we all stereotype people.

he is more mexican than american, he is more mexican than burrito and tacos
Cain is clearly an American product: American nutrition to get that big, American wrestling, American sports infrastructure, American coaches, American MMA techniques, American MMA gyms. That's wy when he went to Mexico he was like a fish out of water (sea level water) because he clearly didn't belong there.

This just seems very selective. Stipe comes out in Croatian flag shorts even though he is "fully American."

Marcus Davis is nicknamed "The Irish Hand Grenade" and "The Celtic Warrior" despite being born in Maine.

I don't see how this is somehow only relevant to Mexicans and Brazilians.

Hell most of my friends are super proud of their European ancestry despite not speaking a lick of German, Swedish, or whatever else and never visiting there.

I gave the Brazilians as an "extreme example", because they were actually born in that country.

As for other heritage-minded fighters, we do have the Boston Celtics for example....so, that's an absolutely legitimate way of marketing yourself. But I reserve the right to laugh at people who take the heritage too seriously and turn it into some twisted nativist crap....to a place they don't even live at and often never even visited. Let alone the language...

It's all america in the end. If it weren't for America, most wouldn't be great fighters: so, Kudos for Conor for making his thing from Ireland.

As for common people and their heritages: I tend to avoid conversation with whoever takes that too seriously tbh. There are plenty on sherdog though: proud of their great-great-grandparents place of birth....that somehow at some point ran away from there to give them a better perspective in America.

That's not a two way street though.....Cain can be proud of his heritage. If I act proud of my German heritage, then I'm deemed racist or a Nazi.

Maybe your country should have behaved better in the 20th century.

Stipe is very proud of his Croation heritage and his fans hold up Croatian flags all the time just like Cain's fans hold up Mexican flags.

But it only seems like one bothers you for some reason.

Stipe.jpg
UFC LISTS HIM AS AMERICAN AND CAIN FROM MEXICO.

I love Mexico, Mexicans, mexican food, brown people.

Yeah no shit they are trying to tap into the lucrative Mexican combat sports market. And in lieu of having a legit Mexican star they use what they have.

However, it seems like someone coming out covered in a foreign flag when they are from Cleveland is much more egregious than Dana and the UFC hype machine trying to tap into a market for someone else. It's not Cain's fault they tried to push that "first Mexican HW champion angle.
they made a whole segment on his father just to "show his roots".
Add the tattoo, mexican flag mouthpiece, Mexican flags and I don't think you are correct that this is only UFC's doing.

There's nothing wrong in being proud of your roots.
But Miocic does not want to pass as a croatian.
Cain willingly accept being passed as a Mexican...

...edit: or like he said:

UFC LISTS HIM AS AMERICAN AND CAIN FROM MEXICO..

not the same thing, is it?

Back