UFC's purchase of Pride was a joke

People saying the UFC bought Pride to kill it, nah. Pride was on the brink of death. UFC buying wasn't going to kill it. It already did that job itself.

The UFC in fact tried to hold up the org, with a tournament planned with Diego Sanchez, Matt Hughes, etc. but the org firmly died before that event happened.

wsi-imageoptim-Pride2007GP2.jpg

They did acquire fighters and the vast Pride library. I think overall, it was a positive for the UFC.
I dont think they got everything they wanted out of it. They were def trying to kill Pride in general tho. I remember that old matchmaker joe silva said they specifically signed Mirko to kill Pride. This was before they knew it was for sale tho.

They did want to try to do something in Japan,but of course no one there would help them. They just tried to run business as usual as DREAM,but they mostly only had stars in the lighter weights. They were never gonna let foreigners gain a foothold.

I wont say the deal was a bust,or a joke or anything like that because in the end the pride rosters eventually mostly came to them,but they def didnt get all they probably envisioned. PRIDE was going down wether they bought it or not. In the end,im glad they bought it,because alot of that history would be lost to anyone but the diehards.

I doubt that.
Dana White: "The mafia is keeping us out of Japan" | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White: “They’ll need to kill me” to keep the UFC out of Japan | MMA Junkie (usatoday.com)

Theres something there for sure, and I remember in a sherdog thread someone asked why Dana never goes to Japan and people brought up the Yakuza.

But I think eventually Dana started attending, he just missed like the first few events. But I didn't check

EDIT: Checked a few UFC japan post fight conferences, no Dana white so far. Again. im not saying this for every event. But it does look like he missed a few.

Seems he was there for 144 tho.

Then why even say anything? If you believe this you are dumb as shit
Chill brah

Dana White: "The mafia is keeping us out of Japan" | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White: “They’ll need to kill me” to keep the UFC out of Japan | MMA Junkie (usatoday.com)

Theres something there for sure, and I remember in a sherdog thread someone asked why Dana never goes to Japan and people brought up the Yakuza.

But I think eventually Dana started attending, he just missed like the first few events. But I didn't check

Chill brah
They meant to keep them from doing business there. Not to kill Dana or that he cant go there.

Dana went there,and they didnt do shit.

They meant to keep them from doing business there. Not to kill Dana or that he cant go there.

Dana went there,and they didnt do shit.

There's something there for sure when he's saying they'll have to kill me to stop me from entering the market and the yakuza is trying to stop us

Obviously, once they got into the market something probably happened behind the scenes. Can't just kill Dana white and get away with it easily

Can't just kill Dana white and get away with it easily
Of course not. Thats why he wasnt worried about it and it wasnt to be taken seriously.

prob got a spooky angry letter

Of course not. Thats why he wasnt worried about it and it wasnt to be taken seriously.

prob got a spooky angry letter

true

Yakuza does have a choke hold on Japan, and is essentially a legitimate business at this point that also uses dirty tactics to get what they want

They probably tried the to scare Dana

But its easier to do with Japanese natives, not a foreign billionaire

OP: (Makes account in 2022... reposts youtube videos as original thought)

Sherdog: Where the fuck have you been?

<Oku02>

UFC bought pride (as they did other organizations) for control over employees, which was known as a monopoly.

Why do you think everyone from fans to fighers say "FUCK THE UFC, PAY THE FIGHTERS".

They TRIED to stomp out ANY OTHER competition in MMA.

They tried to lose the shady history by selling to WME.

We all remember.

If a fighter cannot make as much money OUTSIDE the ufc,
than the purchase of organizations is cheaper for the UFC,
than paying fighters to stay/raises/healthcare. The can say "Fuck off, or accept it".
They crushed the greatest MMA organization (besides the UFC).

Fact.

The library / contract thing was irrelevant in the long run. They bought it, to end it.

Pride was dead after the Yakuza links got exposed and they got kicked off TV in Japan.

The UFC paid very little money for the library and the right to get a lot of Pride fighters under contract.

It was a net positive for them.

we would have never had the UFC'S First Simultaneous Double Champ to ever do it in the octagon either

{<redford}

Pride was on a steep decline. Most the Pride fighters crossed over to UFC. Idk what else people expected? They got Anderson Silva for it, probably that alone made the purchase worth it.
They also got Rampage, Shogun, Wanderlei...

They acquired some huge stars from that deal.

OP: (Makes account in 2022... reposts youtube videos as original thought)

Sherdog: Where the fuck have you been?

<Oku02>

UFC bought pride (as they did other organizations) for control over employees, which was known as a monopoly.

Why do you think everyone from fans to fighers say "FUCK THE UFC, PAY THE FIGHTERS".

They TRIED to stomp out ANY OTHER competition in MMA.

They tried to lose the shady history by selling to WME.

We all remember.

If a fighter cannot make as much money OUTSIDE the ufc,
than the purchase of organizations is cheaper for the UFC,
than paying fighters to stay/raises/healthcare. The can say "Fuck off, or accept it".
They crushed the greatest MMA organization (besides the UFC).

Fact.

Pride was on a steep decline. Most the Pride fighters crossed over to UFC. Idk what else people expected? They got Anderson Silva for it, probably that alone made the purchase worth it.

i don't think that's how they got Anderson. Anderson had been gone from Pride a while by then and UFC bought Pride in 2007 which is a year after Anderson debut'd and after he destroyed Franklin the 1st time so he was already a UFC champion by the time UFC bought Pride.

i don't think that's how they got Anderson. Anderson had been gone from Pride a while by then and UFC bought Pride in 2007 which is a year after Anderson debut'd and after he destroyed Franklin the 1st time so he was already a UFC champion by the time UFC bought Pride.
Yeah Andersons last pride fight was in 2004. Then he fought elsewhere for awhile.

People love to use WIki with no context,but this guy didnt even use Wiki ahahaha

Yeah Andersons last pride fight was in 2004. Then he fought elsewhere for awhile.

People love to use WIki with no context,but this guy didnt even use Wiki ahahaha

yeah i remember it because after he lost to Chonan and Takase that was when he wanted to quit MMA and Big Nog convinced him to keep going. it's funny though because he still had some great wins in between those 2 losses. i remember during the 1st Yushin Okami fight and after when he KO'd him from the bottom with an upkick which was illegal, i thought Anderson looked like a new fighter.

yeah i remember it because after he lost to Chonan and Takase that was when he wanted to quit MMA and Big Nog convinced him to keep going. it's funny though because he still had some great wins in between those 2 losses. i remember during the 1st Yushin Okami fight and after when he KO'd him from the bottom with an upkick which was illegal, i thought Anderson looked like a new fighter.
Yeah Sam Sheridan was at the event,with Nogueira's team and wrote in his book that he said he saw Anderson was absolutley devastated and inconsolable after the Chonan loss.

Last edited:
i remember cracking up when they were busy having the nerve to tell people that pride wasn't getting dismantled, it was going to stay the same as it was. didn't believe that for a second even then.

UFC wasn't for sale, No coming back from hitting women, No WMMA,...

Back