Ultimate 80's Memories Thread - Part 2 - The 80s Strikes Back

Goddammit this is depressing. Depressing because why can't it be like this anymore:

Goddammit this is depressing. Depressing because why can't it be like this anymore:

Damn, that first commercial in the first vid you posted, just awesome. Firstly it starts off with a commercial break from the Mr. T cartoon. I had totally forgot about that. Then jumps into C-3PO’s, I want that cereal!

We had it made in the 80's. I want it back too. Totally makes me think of family members who have passed on since the 80's too.

I had completely forgotten about Bonkers. I remember thinking that stuff was just great. The power of marketing to children. lol

I've never seen this before. This has to be the most awesome Superman cartoon ever!

(timestamped)

I've never seen this before. This has to be the most awesome Superman cartoon ever!

(timestamped)

Oh hell yes! With Ted Knight (Judge Smails from Caddyshack) as the announcer. Awesome show I never missed.

Probably been posted before but shit I can't be bothered to look.

The 80's are much more than foreign memories of yesterday. They still exist in our urgent minds and hearts.

1st concert I ever saw was the Foreigner 4 tour. Awesome show with a huge inflatable jukebox during Jukebox Hero. Great memories.

The World Chess Championship 1984 match between Anatoly Karpov and Garry Kasparov had many ups and downs, and a very controversial finish. Karpov started in very good form, and after nine games Kasparov was down 4–0 in a "first to six wins" match. Fellow players predicted he would be whitewashed 6–0 within 18 games.[29]

In an unexpected turn of events, there followed a series of 17 successive draws, some relatively short, and others drawn in unsettled positions. Kasparov lost game 27 (5–0), then fought back with another series of draws until game 32 (5–1), earning his first-ever win against the World Champion. Another 14 successive draws followed, through game 46; the previous record length for a world title match had been 34 games, the match of José Raúl Capablanca vs. Alexander Alekhine in 1927.

Kasparov won games 47 and 48 to bring the scores to 5–3 in Karpov's favour. Then the match was ended without result by Florencio Campomanes, the President of Fédération Internationale des Échecs (FIDE), and a new match was announced to start a few months later. The termination was controversial, as both players stated that they preferred the match to continue. Announcing his decision at a press conference, Campomanes cited the health of the players, which had been strained by the length of the match.

The match became the first, and so far only, world championship match to be abandoned without result. Kasparov's relations with Campomanes and FIDE were greatly strained, and the feud between them finally came to a head in 1993 with Kasparov's complete break-away from FIDE.

The second Karpov-Kasparov match in 1985 was organized in Moscow as the best of 24 games where the first player to win 12½ points would claim the World Champion title. The scores from the terminated match would not carry over; however, in the event of a 12–12 draw, the title would remain with Karpov. On 9 November 1985, Kasparov secured the title by a score of 13–11, winning the 24th game with Black, using a Sicilian defense. He was 22 years old at the time, making him the youngest ever World Champion,[30] and breaking the record held by Mikhail Tal for over 20 years.[31] Kasparov's win as Black in the 16th game has been recognized as one of the all-time masterpieces in chess history.

As part of the arrangements following the aborted 1984 match, Karpov had been granted (in the event of his defeat) a right to rematch. Another match took place in 1986, hosted jointly in London and Leningrad, with each city hosting 12 games. At one point in the match, Kasparov opened a three-point lead and looked well on his way to a decisive match victory. But Karpov fought back by winning three consecutive games to level the score late in the match. At this point, Kasparov dismissed one of his seconds, grandmaster Evgeny Vladimirov, accusing him of selling his opening preparation to the Karpov team (as described in Kasparov's autobiography Unlimited Challenge, chapter Stab in the Back). Kasparov scored one more win and kept his title by a final score of 12½–11½.

A fourth match for the world title took place in 1987 in Seville, as Karpov had qualified through the Candidates' Matches to again become the official challenger. This match was very close, with neither player holding more than a one-point lead at any time during the contest. Kasparov was down one full point at the time of the final game, and needed a win to draw the match and retain his title. A long tense game ensued in which Karpov blundered away a pawn just before the first time control, and Kasparov eventually won a long ending. Kasparov retained his title as the match was drawn by a score of 12–12. (All this meant that Kasparov had played Karpov four times in the period 1984–87, a statistic unprecedented in chess. Matches organized by FIDE had taken place every three years since 1948, and only Botvinnik had a right to a rematch before Karpov.)

A fifth match between Kasparov and Karpov was held in New York and Lyon in 1990, with each city hosting 12 games. Again, the result was a close one with Kasparov winning by a margin of 12½–11½. In their five world championship matches, Kasparov had 21 wins, 19 losses, and 104 draws in 144 games.

I need this:

rated.png

No decade gave us more iconic monsters and moments than the 1980s, home to pretty much everyone and everything that we hold so near and dear about the genre. Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, Chucky and Ash Williams all came out of the ’80s, as did fan faves like The Fly, An American Werewolf in London, The Thing and The Lost Boys.

Needless to say, the ’80s did it better than any other decade, and artist Holland Jackson of Fox Street Ink pays tribute to the most epic decade of them all with a fittingly badass new print that he’s dubbed “Rated R in the ’80s,an ode to the movies of his own youth.

Real movies need the capital R,” says Jackson.

The 24″x”36 art print features six colors and pays tribute to ass-kicking ’80s cinema both inside and outside the horror genre. Grab yours for $50 while supplies last!

I need this:

rated.png

No decade gave us more iconic monsters and moments than the 1980s, home to pretty much everyone and everything that we hold so near and dear about the genre. Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, Chucky and Ash Williams all came out of the ’80s, as did fan faves like The Fly, An American Werewolf in London, The Thing and The Lost Boys.

Needless to say, the ’80s did it better than any other decade, and artist Holland Jackson of Fox Street Ink pays tribute to the most epic decade of them all with a fittingly badass new print that he’s dubbed “Rated R in the ’80s,an ode to the movies of his own youth.

Real movies need the capital R,” says Jackson.

The 24″x”36 art print features six colors and pays tribute to ass-kicking ’80s cinema both inside and outside the horror genre. Grab yours for $50 while supplies last!

The 80s without a doubt is the best decade for movies of all time.
That pic is missing Revenge of the Ninja.
Funny how we just took for granted that there was going to continually be great movies coming out.

The 80s without a doubt is the best decade for movies of all time.
That pic is missing Revenge of the Ninja.
Funny how we just took for granted that there was going to continually be great movies coming out.

Consistently great movies and music. Nowadays it's extremely few and far between.

Did anyone end up watching these? I haven't watched them yet.

summerof84banner.jpg

the-barn-poster.jpg

Remember Hot Wheels Crack Ups? Absolutely badass...

http://toysfromthepast.blogspot.com/2014/01/373-hot-wheels-crack-ups-1985-and-1986.html?m=1

Hotwheels+Hot+Wheels+Crack+Ups+1985+1986+1987+Crash+Police+Cruiser+Auto+da+Scontro+Choque+Hei%25C3%259Fe+R%25C3%25A4der+%25283%2529+%255B1600x1200%255D.jpg

Also, a neighborhood friend of mine had this Hot Wheels Sto-n-Go City Playset. Kids today couldn't possibly understand the joy of toys in the 80's.

image_e0f436aa-3190-4c72-8ac8-10531cc05db7_1024x1024.jpg

When I'm in Walmart or Target or Kmart (or wherever) and happen to walk past the toy section, I can't help but feel bad for the kids of today. The toys now are so fucking gay. There's really no other way to describe it. It's just garbage. They'll never know the awesomeness of the toys from the 80s.

A few months ago I had some time to kill so I went into a local thrift store to look around and they had a "children's section" and in this section there were some toys from the 80s, including a big ass box with the classic 80s toy art on it, and I got all goosebumpy because of how awesome it was. I think I literally gasped and said "wow." It was beautiful. Almost nonexistent nowadays, but so common back then. The difference in quality between toys then versus now is astounding. It's unbelievable!

Frankly, the modern era is the worst era ever for a lot of things, and it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Pretty much every previous decade was better than now in everything except for the usefulness of technology (internet and ability to communicate and get stuff done online) and modern medicine. But pop culture, movies, music, games, fashion, tv shows, etc were all better in the past. Easily. (Though to be fair, that's not to say there were no shitty things then or are no good things now).

Sort of on the same page, the children's cartoons I've seen today are just garbage. Compare that to the absolute awesomeness of the cartoons from the 80s and 90s and again, it's just astounding at how awesome it used to be and how shit it is now. (I'd even take cartoons from the 50s, 60s, 70s over the trash of today).

When I'm in Walmart or Target or Kmart (or wherever) and happen to walk past the toy section, I can't help but feel bad for the kids of today. The toys now are so fucking gay. There's really no other way to describe it. It's just garbage. They'll never know the awesomeness of the toys from the 80s.

A few months ago I had some time to kill so I went into a local thrift store to look around and they had a "children's section" and in this section there were some toys from the 80s, including a big ass box with the classic 80s toy art on it, and I got all goosebumpy because of how awesome it was. I think I literally gasped and said "wow." It was beautiful. Almost nonexistent nowadays, but so common back then. The difference in quality between toys then versus now is astounding. It's unbelievable!

Frankly, the modern era is the worst era ever for a lot of things, and it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Pretty much every previous decade was better than now in everything except for the usefulness of technology (internet and ability to communicate and get stuff done online) and modern medicine. But pop culture, movies, music, games, fashion, tv shows, etc were all better in the past. Easily. (Though to be fair, that's not to say there were no shitty things then or are no good things now).

Sort of on the same page, the children's cartoons I've seen today are just garbage. Compare that to the absolute awesomeness of the cartoons from the 80s and 90s and again, it's just astounding at how awesome it used to be and how shit it is now. (I'd even take cartoons from the 50s, 60s, 70s over the trash of today).

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head with all of that. Pop culture was so much more fun and clever in the 80's. And, where toys of the 80's were often made of metal, today's toys are made of plastic (e.g., Transformers). Suppliers should just re-release the good stuff.

Back