Underrated mma win streak of 37-0-1

He'd be a lightweight (if that) if he fought today... That makes it all the more impressive.
"I was 93 kg only for the last two years in PRIDE when they introduced weight divisions. But actually my natural weight is around 103-104 kg. Losing weight I didn't feel myself as strong as before. But 104 kg is the best weight for me"

Height wise he could be a flyweight, but he would be middleweight, as he was in some time

He'd be a lightweight (if that) if he fought today... That makes it all the more impressive.
A lightweight? You must be joking.

Other than his height, Igor is a big dude. He's thick, wide and has an abnormally robust bone structure just by looking at the guy.

Take a look at the size of his hands for example:

JuEy3xE.png

Igor was 11-1 in Pride at one point, it is really too bad that Pride did not have belts in 1990s. He deserved to be a champion of something.
Vovchanchyn managed to achieve that no. #1 ranking in the world, but a big recognizable belt is missing in his career, like Pride Grand Prix or Pride or UFC HW belt, which whould have been a crown of his career. Then he would not often get overlooked and sometimes under a radar, while many others are praised as champions with their titles, altough their careers were nowhere as extensive.

If I remember correctly, all but 3 of those wins were finishes.

Ice Cold bless.

Well im not sayin the guy wasnt a savage to be respected highly. I love Igor,as should all fight fans.

I wouldnt say he should be counted as a p4p guy,but he was def one of the most violent and prolific fighters, and super gutsy. Dude was a full foot shorter than the Polar Bear Paul Varleans and he fucked him up real bad.
If an even more undersized heavyweight than Fedor can do what he did and you can't see how that should count for p4p we have to agree to disagree. You are one the best posters here so I guess I'm in the wrong. But I see it as MM demolishing top 5 featherweights. MM failed against Cruz at BW if I recall

Edit: Going for short guy hard since I am vertically challenged myself.

I cannot express how beloved Igor was back in the earlier days of MMA.

He was a huge topic of conversation around here.

What is not to love? His style was pure violence.

It's funny how quality over quantity only applies to certain fighters, lol.
Nobody remembers Igor's streak since it wasn't in the UFC.

If you are a UFC fighter and you have a 37-0 record, even if 90% of it was against unknown cans, the suddenly you're the GOAT.

Is normal.

If an even more undersized heavyweight than Fedor can do what he did and you can't see how that should count for p4p we have to agree to disagree. You are one the best posters here so I guess I'm in the wrong. But I see it as MM demolishing top 5 featherweights. MM failed against Cruz at BW if I recall

Edit: Going for short guy hard since I am vertically challenged myself.
cos Fedor beat everyones ass and Igor would lose to Tra Telligman and Mario Sperry in his prime.

He was a psycho. Those fights were just brutal, people getting kicked in the head on the ground, and then made to fight again the same night. He'd fight guys who were 260 pounds even though Igor probably had to drink a ton of beer to even make 220. Barely any rules, no commissions, no fucks given by the referees whether the fighter lived or died.

I’m not saying you’re wrong because MMA really was the Wild West back then, but the ref actually did a damn fine job in stopping the Varelans fight when he did. Compare that stoppage to the Turner - Green fight from a few weeks ago and it’s pretty sad actually.

It's funny how quality over quantity only applies to certain fighters, lol.
Nobody remembers Igor's streak since it wasn't in the UFC.

If you are a UFC fighter and you have a 37-0 record, even if 90% of it was against unknown cans, the suddenly you're the GOAT.

Is normal.

People don’t remember his streak bc a good chunk of those wins happened nearly 30 years ago before the majority of the MMA fanbase was born. Fedor won approximately zero fights in the UFC yet he remains a hardcore icon, so much so that in a recent poll, Sherbros determined that his win streak was more impressive than that of Jon Jones whose current win streak occurred exclusively in the UFC. For the record, I think those poll results reflect peak delusion but they also refute your claim.

Back