UPSET ALERT: I’m not convinced Khabib is a 5 round fighter

seriously, who started this dumbass narrative. dustin's strongest rounds against max were the early rounds, NOT the late rounds lol... <{cruzshake}>
I keep seeing people who really want Dustin to win mention his cardio. Something no one has ever talked about prior to this fight being made.

Seems like a desperate attempt at finding places where Poirier might beat Khabib but cardio certainly isn't one of them.

Khabib could have beat up everyone in the crowd the night of the Conor fight, he was in ridiculous shape.

I don't know, I think Khabib's cardio might be an issue, but I just don't think Dustin is the guy to expose it. My money is on Tony.

Dustin has been through wars with Eddie gaethe and max. No doubt Dustin can dig deeper than khabib. Just how tired or compromised will Dustin get from Khabibs grappling and gnp? We are about to find out.

Oh cmon, he's at AKA a notorious wrestling - cardio gym. Cormier, Cain, they are all giving him rounds, he is a 5 round fighter through and through.

seriously, who started this dumbass narrative. dustin's strongest rounds against max were the early rounds, NOT the late rounds lol...

edit:
View attachment 640257

i honestly don't know how clearer this can get. dustin threw 115 strikes in round 1, and 60 strikes in round 5, where he had to resort to holding max against the cage for the majority of the round.

If you gauge the strength of his rounds by volume of strikes, then the first round was his round. After that, volume drops off dramatically. His accuracy peaks in the 4th, though. Of course, some might think landing more blows is preferable even if that means missing more, but there is also something to be said for conserving energy late in the fight.

If you gauge the strength of his rounds by volume of strikes, then the first round was his round. After that, volume drops off dramatically. His accuracy peaks in the 4th, though. Of course, some might think landing more blows is preferable even if that means missing more, but there is also something to be said for conserving energy late in the fight.
i agree, but in this context i was arguing against his statement of 'dustin gets stronger as the fight progresses', anybody who watched that fight knows that's not true.

dustin is not a one-punch KO fighter, he is a volume striker and breaks fighters down with combos and counters. if his volume dramatically decreases the longer the fight goes on... you probably get the idea.

He's not. The reason why he doesn't look tired is he is so good at takedowns, he just lays on people most of the time. That's why he wasn't that tired in 4 rounds vs conner. If Dustin can keep it standing and limit Khabib to just one takedown, even if Dustin doesn't knock him out, he will easily outpoint Khabib who will have cardio issues on his feet. Dustin has superior striking and cardio.

I think we will know within the 1st 90 seconds if Dustin did the right prep or not on takedown defense. If Khabib takes him down right away, then it's probably over for Dustin.

Oh cmon, he's at AKA a notorious wrestling - cardio gym. Cormier, Cain, they are all giving him rounds, he is a 5 round fighter through and through.
not to mention
as well
the Dagastani's...

Those first two rounds will be key for both fighters. It isn't good when Poirier has been taken down a few times already but I think his chances increase if he makes to the 4th round and can turn up the heat. Having said all that Khabib has so many watching him and I think he will take Dustin out in the 3rd.
Dustin dropped down for guillotines against Eddie several times. He came close a few times, but it would be ill advised to try that against Khabib. Standing up, Dustin mainly uses a modified shoulder roll for defense these days. Might make him more susceptible to take downs, but it's a much better defense against strikes than the high guard and head movement with your hands down.

Dustin's going to have to mix things up a bit against Khabib and I'm sure he and his coaches are working on that. Conor used hands down with head movement as his defense against Khabib and it didn't work. He got caught cold and almost knocked out cold. Dustin doesn't really have the chin to take shots like that, he's going to have to be careful but also be aggressive. It's a delicate balance.

i agree, but in this context i was arguing against his statement of 'dustin gets stronger as the fight progresses', anybody who watched that fight knows that's not true.

dustin is not a one-punch KO fighter, he is a volume striker and breaks fighters down with combos and counters. if his volume dramatically decreases the longer the fight goes on... you probably get the idea.

You made your point: indeed, he doesn't become more dangerous as the fight progresses. On the other hand, his volume doesn't seem to dramatically decrease the longer the fight goes on: there's a big dropoff after the first round. The variations in rounds 2 - 5 are much smaller.

Stop believing the bullshit narrative. Khabib threw twice as many strikes against Al in the last 2 rounds than the first 2 rounds and the fifth round was scored a 10-8.

seriously, who started this dumbass narrative. dustin's strongest rounds against max were the early rounds, NOT the late rounds lol... <{cruzshake}>

edit:
View attachment 640257

i honestly don't know how clearer this can get. dustin threw 115 strikes in round 1, and 60 strikes in round 5, where he had to resort to holding max against the cage for the majority of the round.

im not disagreeing with you, but the stat that you show is when he is fighting Max, a guy with one of the best cardio and high level output.

Khabib finished conor in 4th round and won a 10-8 round against al in 5th round.

What are you talking?

Khabibs's cardio is questionable in the championship rounds. He gassed out in trying to take Al down. But to his credit, Iaquinta's hips and base is like a rock.

But getting back to Poirier, his cardio was never in question. That might be the equalizer here...

I have Porier winning this fight, late round 4 to early round 5 tko.

He posts a great informative price, and you post this? Piss off.
It was my post that was informative and great. Posters come from far and wide to read such.

Last edited:
Back