• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Usman got caught making the technically sound move

I see a lot about this fight settles that Usman isn't the GOAT. He parried the left and moved his head to the outside. That's the right thing to do, the sound technical boxing move. Leon just caught him with a kick which is equally technically sound. In this game of chess, Usman made the correct move and Leon countered properly. IMO Usman wasn't sloppy, he just got kicked perfectly and got KO'd
In boxing that may be the right thing to do in that scenario, but he wasn't in a boxing match.

Using a boxing defense to block a kick is not a "technically sound move", hence why he got KTFO'ed brutally.

I assume the technically sound move is to back away, not lean into the kick, delivering maximum brain damage.

He blocks the left hand coming at his face as the kick is comin up.

There's zero feint. Edwards left hand is the natural reaction from trying to throw a headkick and trying to keep balance while you generate that kind of force. You see this a million times in other headkicks and nobody sits here and tries to pretend that was a punch or feint that's 5 inches out of range.

Usman took a full blown headkick to the face because he got cocky and thought he had it in the bag. There's no need to invent phantom punches to excuse it.
Bro just stop talking lmao.

He feinted with low/body kicks at least 5 times in the 40-45 seconds before actually throwing the 1-2 feint headkick. Usman had already been hurt to the body shortly before when he faked the groin shot.

Usman was basically overloaded with information. He was getting used to Leon feinting the body kick without throwing, so when Leon changed the pattern and feinted with the 1-2 Usman bit.

It was perfect from Edwards.
That reminds me of GSP vs Hughes II. GSP kicked low several times (and grazed the cup, which Hughes also played up), then went high for the head kick. Champ stuff.

That's the right thing to do, the sound technical boxing move.
Well, if you're not aware, this is MMA where kicks are allowed. Not boxing.

Maybe next time he'll find a "technically sound" move that doesn't put him in the way of a kick? Because that was not the right choice as you can see due to the results.

Or maybe you'll admit that Leon baited him and setup the strikes perfectly?

TS sounds like the excuse makers for Dak Prescott running the ball down the middle of the field with 14 seconds left and no time outs. Saying that was the right call . . .

Bro just stop talking lmao.

Nah. These headkicks happen all the time in MMA and nobody sits here trying to pretend there were secret feints before the headkick except in this fight.

Usman's the idiot who decided with a minute left to stand flat footed and still right in front of Edwards instead of either staying out of range or inside it. You don't need to invent secret phantom moves that are what caused him to lose when there's that dumb mistake right there that's what even allowed Edwards to hit him at all with his kick.

He did one of the worst things you can do in a sport where ppl can kick u in the head

Agree to an extent. The counter argument is Usman was winning the striking up till that point with solid boxing fundamentals.
Leon is still a better striker obviously. Strikers lose in striking to wrestlers because of the threat of the takedown.

Rewatch the 5th round shortly before the high kick, leon hits a lowkick which usman tries to catch.
During the finish Usman tries to grab the lowkick again for a TD I suppose but Leon went high.
Just a beautiful setup

Did he parry a left, or did he get baited by a feint?

Leon had the kick hidden right behind whatever that left was, which tells me one person ultimately made the right decision, and the other got it dead wrong.

I see a lot about this fight settles that Usman isn't the GOAT. He parried the left and moved his head to the outside. That's the right thing to do, the sound technical boxing move. Leon just caught him with a kick which is equally technically sound. In this game of chess, Usman made the correct move and Leon countered properly. IMO Usman wasn't sloppy, he just got kicked perfectly and got KO'd

Technical muay thai won that one. That looks exactly how a thai fighter or a kickboxer does it. Fakes/Throws the hands forward and launches the head kick.

Nah. These headkicks happen all the time in MMA and nobody sits here trying to pretend there were secret feints before the headkick except in this fight.

Usman's the idiot who decided with a minute left to stand flat footed and still right in front of Edwards instead of either staying out of range or inside it. You don't need to invent secret phantom moves that are what caused him to lose when there's that dumb mistake right there that's what even allowed Edwards to hit him at all with his kick.
How to say you have never trained striking for any considerable amount of time without actually saying it.

How to say you have never trained striking for any considerable amount of time without actually saying it.

Usman's the idiot who decided to stand flat footed and still in front of Edwards and within kicking range with a minute left.

I'm sorry that offends you so much.

the best thing to do when you're up 4-1 is to play it safe. get on your bike. maybe feint a few shots to look like your staying active.

not dip to the right with your eyes closed.

hindsight is 20/20 though. when you're tired you don't make the best decisions.

You're right of course but like the many on here, Leon keeps getting underestimated, and probably by Usman too.
Like Leon said on the Mic. " Everyone who doubted me, LOOK AT ME NOW!!! LOOK AT ME NOW!!!!!"

Agree on perfect execution by Leon.

But Usman should have been expecting a kick, specifically a headkick due to the circumstances.

- Leon went southpaw. He primarily goes southpaw to kick.

70 seconds left
Usman clearly up on the cards
Leon needed a ko to win

Kickboxing a kickboxer at kicking range is a bad idea for a wrestler.

The technical mistake was giving Leon the time and space to set up the strike. It is nitpicking to also mention that he should have had his hands higher, but let's be honest, a body kick was unlikely to end his championship run, so the headkick was the threat that should have been a higher defensive priority.

Good post. And this is why wrestlers usually just take the tired guy down and try to stop him with ground and pound instead of taking the (admittedly small) risk that he’d get caught.

You're right of course but like the many on here, Leon keeps getting underestimated, and probably by Usman too.
Like Leon said on the Mic. " Everyone who doubted me, LOOK AT ME NOW!!! LOOK AT ME NOW!!!!!"

In fairness it’s totally reasonable that he got underestimated. Usman had never been knocked out and Leon is a decision machine. He was visibly exhausted and discouraged. All credit to him for getting the timing down and landing the kick, but it was very improbable.

Rewatch the 5th round shortly before the high kick, leon hits a lowkick which usman tries to catch.
During the finish Usman tries to grab the lowkick again for a TD I suppose but Leon went high.
Just a beautiful setup

If anything it looks more like he expected a bodykick and instead it was a headkick, ala Jones/DC II.

Back