Usman got caught making the technically sound move

It’s not the right thing to do if your opponent is fainting you so you end up there in the first place.

The most important thing in boxing is to keep your hands up, if usman did this he would be a champ still

There's zero feint. Edwards left hand is the natural reaction from trying to throw a headkick and trying to keep balance while you generate that kind of force. You see this a million times in other headkicks and nobody sits here and tries to pretend that was a punch or feint that's 5 inches out of range.

Usman took a full blown headkick to the face because he got cocky and thought he had it in the bag. There's no need to invent phantom punches to excuse it.
You’re an idiot and have zero clue what you’re watching. Take your L and move on

Where is everybody getting this complete nonsense about there being some punch before the headkick? It was always just a headkick that he took full blown.

RelievedDelectableHoneycreeper-size_restricted.gif

Usman was stupidly standing still in kicking range with a minute left. That's on him. Stop coping about some phantom punch to excuse this mistake.

Moreover, regardless of the strike it's not the sound move at all as the sound move is to just move out of range or close the distance into it to prevent something like this. He instead stood flat footed and still which is it what caused him to take ANY strike coming full force.
Leon clearly is feinting the straight left(his power hand from the southpaw stance). It's definitely something he has worked on as he even tried to pull down Usman's hand a bit.

I see a lot about this fight settles that Usman isn't the GOAT. He parried the left and moved his head to the outside. That's the right thing to do, the sound technical boxing move. Leon just caught him with a kick which is equally technically sound. In this game of chess, Usman made the correct move and Leon countered properly. IMO Usman wasn't sloppy, he just got kicked perfectly and got KO'd

Well, Leon didn't 'counter'... I mean, he did in a sense, but what I mean is... he set Usman up - he faked/feinted, it's not like he threw the punch then did that in response. He set a trap and Usman fell for it, so really him slipping a feint wasn't the correct move... the correct move would to be to recognise the fake and not react, or do something himself

Leon just caught him with a kick

No, he didn't 'just catch him'

Leon set him up. Watch the sequence throughout that round. Leon doesn't fight with the same passion and intensity others want to see from him because he's a tactician. Just coolly going about doing the job at hand.

Its hilarious seeing people sing and dance their way into being surprised he won his TENTH CONSECUTIVE UFC fight.

I liked your post you make some valid points...like you said usman should've had his hands up higher, just before the leg kick landed by edwards you could clearly see usman had his hands way too low to even attempt to block the kick.

I hate to be the one to say this because I'm sure people will bash me. I'm glad usman lost because now he has no chance of ever matching or surpassing gsp as goat.

There's no way usman will complete 9 consecutive title defenses....he can come back and win the belt again and become a 2x ww champion which I would not be surprised if he does in a rematch against edwards. H

However the debate on usman vs gsp as goat welter weight is over.....like I've been saying from day one, it's going to be a long time before we see anyone match or surpass gsp's title defenses.

Even though usman was winning most of the rounds the fight isn't over until the final bell rings, doesn't even matter if your ass is getting kicked every round, all it takes is split seconds to make the wrong move or be too close at the wrong time and it's over.....gsp may not of been a finisher like usman but the fact he still could go 5 rounds practically every time he defended gives his opponent that much more time to do what edwards did....so to me that's what makes gsp more impressive, was it sheer luck he didn't get "caught" during his 2nd reign as ww champion or was he just that much more skilled? Condit landed a nice headkick on gsp not as deadly as edwards was on usman but still gsp fought through it after getting dropped and came back to still win.
absolute lowlife

Where is everybody getting this complete nonsense about there being some punch before the headkick? It was always just a headkick that he took full blown.

Usman was stupidly standing still in kicking range with a minute left. That's on him. Stop coping about some phantom punch to excuse this mistake.

Moreover, regardless of the strike it's not the sound move at all as the sound move is to just move out of range or close the distance into it to prevent something like this. He instead stood flat footed and still which is it what caused him to take ANY strike coming full force.

How can you not see the feint to close distance right before he throws the left hand with the kick behind it? It’s the first second of the GIF. It’s even in slow motion which emphasises it even more.

How can you not see the feint to close distance right before he throws the left hand with the kick behind it? It’s the first second of the GIF. It’s even in slow motion which emphasises it even more.
It’s hard to believe he isnt trolling but today its common for people to argue even if they know theyre wrong

It’s because he doesn’t train and doesn’t have a fuckin clue what he’s talking about.

I don't see it as anything other than what naturally happens when you lean back for a kick like Edwards did. Your same side arm tends to come out to help counter balance you to prevent you falling on your ass while your weight is mostly leaning backwards on your other side.

We've seen a million other headkicks like this and nobody sits here saying there was some punch/feint before the kick and instead chalks it up to generating the kick itself. It just seemed to me a way to try and explain Usman otherwise standing flatfooted in front of Edwards with a minute left.

Rather than that being the actual mistake that truly happened. The strike at the end of the day is immaterial to the fact that Usman shouldn't have ever been in that position to begin with. Once he was he'd recklessly opened himself up to getting caught by SOMETHING from Edwards.

You don’t train stfu

Lol OP you kinda contradict yourself. The fact that he parried the left is why he got ko'ed

Parrying the left was not the correct move, it was never touching him

Usman expected body kick.The whole fuking fight Leon threw those to body only ,not single one to head until the end..great patience or plan or whatever the fuk it was. Usman lowered his hands thinking body kick was coming again.I mean that's all he saw for almost 25 minutes hehe,he was so use to it

Last edited:

Leon did a post fight interview and said he practiced the cross head kick all training camp. And he said his corner yelled for him to throw it.

A great striker can create patterns in people and then disguise a strike to get the opponent moving

I see a lot about this fight settles that Usman isn't the GOAT. He parried the left and moved his head to the outside. That's the right thing to do, the sound technical boxing move. Leon just caught him with a kick which is equally technically sound. In this game of chess, Usman made the correct move and Leon countered properly. IMO Usman wasn't sloppy, he just got kicked perfectly and got KO'd

He did the right thing if you can only throw punches, but it's the wrong thing in MMA, kickboxing, muay thai, krav maga, wing chun, tiddly winks...
He got caught like a lot of guys do when they focus on boxing fundamentals only.

Eh not sure, looks like he leaned way too far.

Usman tried to parry a jab with his left and a hook with his right, while getting off the center line to the right.
But he did so with both hands low.
Total misread

What. Look at Leon’s left hand in your own gif. Imagine what Usman is seeing as this happens. Look at what Usman does. He clearly tries to parry and slip a left straight. We have a privileged view in the gif to see Leon’s leg move nearly at the same time as his left hand, but imagine what Usman is focusing on at eye level: Leon just flicked a jab at his face and a left hand is coming behind it…

I wanted Leon to win. Saying Usman bought a feint isn’t cope for Usman losing, it’s giving credit to Leon.

I agree The smart thing at that point in the fight was to just keep out of range. But I guess he just didn’t feel threatened by Leon on the feet that much.

making the sound technical boxing move is not the right technical MMA move. boxing doesn't have high kicks in it.

like i said in multiple threads, he dedicated too many resources to the left hand feint and that's what made him vulnerable. he overreacted to a feint, that's never the right move, even in boxing especially when facing someone who isn't known as a big puncher.

Back