Usman's performance against Burns good?

Mug

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I hear a lot of commentators talking about Usman excelling fight to fight which yes he is finishing his opponents including Burns but watching that fight Burns was catching Usman a lot to the point Usman looked quite amateur looking away; punching him to the point he was looking at the floor.
I kept thinking if Burns was maybe a more savvy striker he would of known to follow up with combos which wouldve landed every single time
Saying this I can only see Wonderboy giving Usman some problems

I hear a lot of commentators talking about Usman excelling fight to fight which yes he is finishing his opponents including Burns but watching that fight Burns was catching Usman a lot to the point Usman looked quite amateur looking away; punching him to the point he was looking at the floor.
I kept thinking if Burns was maybe a more savvy striker he would of known to follow up with combos which wouldve landed every single time
Saying this I can only see Wonderboy giving Usman some problems
Prime Wonderbread couldn't even beat Woodley convincingly twice

This is mma and not a striking only sport

Who knows what would've happened, but Burns hurt Usman badly, then proceeded to lay on his back for a full minute while Usman recovered

Reactions: Mug
Woodley was an amazing fighter in his prime, and the absolute worst matchup for Wonderboy in MMA.

Do yourself a favour and stop underrating two great fighters.
How was Woodley his worst matchup possible? Explain a lil instead of just doin the classic sherbro blanket statement

Woodley was an amazing fighter in his prime, and the absolute worst matchup for Wonderboy in MMA.

Do yourself a favour and stop underrating two great fighters.
Wonderbread was too stupid to just apply the rory gameplan

Prime Wonderbread couldn't even beat Woodley convincingly twice

This is mma and not a striking only sport
Do you think prime Woodley is worse than Usman? they have similar skillsets but Usman doesnt have the same power as Woodley although he seems to have some sort of timing/luck
Usman will engage a lot when Woodley refuses to thus being more opportunities for WB to capitalise, also Usman doesn't seem to have a lot of outside shooting game (which he might have in the tuck) against a notoriously hard to hold down fighter in WB
He just seems to be the worst matchup for Usman in the division as I see Usman beating Colby again, even more convincingly this time as well

if Burns continued to pressure him relentlessy to give him no room for takedowns/jabs and had an unlimited stamina like what Colby did then he might’ve had a chance.

But no one in the division has the same tools (unlimited stamina, press resistant, wrestling and chin of 4.5 round) as Colby and folds too early.

Do you think prime Woodley is worse than Usman? they have similar skillsets but Usman doesnt have the same power as Woodley although he seems to have some sort of timing/luck
Usman will engage a lot when Woodley refuses to thus being more opportunities for WB to capitalise, also Usman doesn't seem to have a lot of outside shooting game (which he might have in the tuck) against a notoriously hard to hold down fighter in WB
He just seems to be the worst matchup for Usman in the division as I see Usman beating Colby again, even more convincingly this time as well
Yes because Usman is not only a park his rear to the cage and wing a right overhand fighter

He might not be as explosive as woodley but he atleast uses his wrestling and he doesn't gas out

How was Woodley his worst matchup possible? Explain a lil instead of just doin the classic sherbro blanket statement
Woodley was WB's worst matchup because of his willingness to disengage imo, his wrestling credentials etc arent always a factor in a fight against Woodley but when he just completely disengaged he left WB no counter opportunities and also no reads to capitalise on either

Woodley was WB's worst matchup because of his willingness to disengage imo, his wrestling credentials etc arent always a factor in a fight against Woodley but when he just completely disengaged he left WB no counter opportunities and also no reads to capitalise on either
Ah ok. Yeah I guess I see your point. I think Wonderboy could have won with a better gameplan. He also seems better now than he's ever been

Yes because Usman is not only a park his rear to the cage and wing a right overhand fighter

He might not be as explosive as woodley but he atleast uses his wrestling and he doesn't gas out
He does have impressive cardio its a great x factor for Usman but I just cant see him keeping up with the movement we have seen from the WB of the past but I dont know if I would bet against Usman anymore (not that I have) lol

You’re trippin. Usman develops a long lazy jab he leaves hanging out and a straight right with no kicking game whatsoever or anything else but foot stomps and he’s better than woodley ?! Ok bud .
Woodley was a kicker? Since when haha. Prime Woodley was a big right hand and thats it. Also Kamaru has just as much power if not more. He's a way better stand up fighter than Woodley. You're trippin

Reactions: Mug
Ah ok. Yeah I guess I see your point. I think Wonderboy could have won with a better gameplan. He also seems better now than he's ever been
For now is the only problem we know how father time works;we don't know when it hits and WB's game is based on in and out movement and timing, his gameplan against an Usman would be so reliant on counter, timing and being illusive it kinda needs Usman to play along which is a recipe for a boring fight leading to a Usman decision

He does have impressive cardio its a great x factor for Usman but I just cant see him keeping up with the movement we have seen from the WB of the past but I dont know if I would bet against Usman anymore (not that I have) lol
Just kick his legs. Cejudo did it against Cruz and geoff Neal damaged wonderbread legs too in their fight

Back