Valentina Shevchenko Blames Split Draw on Mexican Independence Day ‘Pressure’

She was closer to the finish in R2, and that wasn't even a 10-8. But I just realized you used a Tito Oritz quote, which means I probably shouldn't have responded to your post anyway.
You can tell they're a joke thinking grasso landed 30 gnp strikes http://www.ufcstats.com/fight-details/b395c89e19a3fec4 she didn't land 30 strikes in the round and was 1/7 in the gnp position, there's always at least one sherdoger who believes in horrendous error.

She doesn't got that gsp split decision favor

This poor guy just can’t get over losing and got lucky she got a draw. Those judges messed up and grasso should’ve won 2,4,5 Grasso.
Val was trying to win a point fight and it backfired
Your name says it all

I thought she won the fight and the 5th round was a close 10-9 and shouldn’t have been a 10-8

She clearly was getting her ass beat for the majority of the fight. Less significant strikes, less octagon control, spent the majority of the fight unable to get back up from take downs. One knockdown and 1 minute of back control on Val doesn't amount to calling this a draw. A 10-8 on the 5th pfft. Can't even blame the judges if the corruption is even higher up, who the hell else are they gonna throw in there at flyweight that's a bigger draw. Might as well chalk this up to a draw and sell a trilogy. Viva México.

Given that the US population is only 19% hispanic, I wonder which way the bias leans.

Given that the US population is only 19% hispanic, I wonder which way the bias leans.
documented population add in all the illegals and your stats change drastically.

How many times do I have to teach you this lesson old man?

You have a Mexican champ, who has a customized Mexican style belt, headlining the Mexican UFC card (titled in Spanish), taking place on Mexican independence day, showcasing other Mexican / Mexican heritage fighters, in an area with tons of Mexican Americans, in a state that used to be part of Mexico.

Given how long, and how hard, the UFC has tried to crack into the Mexican market, and how much $ it represents if they do capture it, it's not exactly a crazy take to think that a judge could be biased towards Grasso. It's also obvious that she was the crowd favourite and heralded as the "home crowd" fighter. Similar idea to Khabib or Islam when they would fight in Abu Dhabi despite not being Arab or Emirati.

Your point about the make up of the country is irrelevant. What matters is who was in the stadium, who the event was geared towards, and for what purpose. Complete non-sequitur. Even if someone wanted to entertain the irrelevant point, Paradise NV is 35% Hispanic, and 36% non-Hispanic white (source).

Last edited:
They already had the belt custom-made for Alexa Grasso, it would've been a waste to give to Valentina.

Did they have a normal belt to give to Shevchenko if she had won? Otherwise, yeah, it's pretty obvious the folks in charge were expecting a Grasso win, one way or another.

Judge was too busy looking up recipies and not watching the damn fight.

30-mexican-recipes-for-cinco-de-mayo.jpg

images

She’s not entirely wrong but come on Val. You’ve had almost 10 rounds to put Grasso away and keep your belt but ya couldn’t do it either time

Nobody to blame but yourself

I've watched this fight multiple times and while a 10-8 round is a terrible decision, it's also proof that a 10-point must is stupid. Why does someone have to win a round? Why can't a round be tied? Why can't a ref give it 10-10 if both fighters work their butt off and there is nothing between them or 9-9 if both absolutely equally sucked? By 10-point must if both fighters stand there and do nothing one of the fighters must get 10 points (minus equal deductions for inactivity). Valentina was probably busier and had more positional control but Grasso absolutely has more impact with less strikes, continually caused Valentina to strike out on her submission attempts and had her great moments too. The 10-8 is the wrong call but seriously that judge probably was just like...screw it this fight deserves to be scored as a draw so I'm doctoring the scorecard to make it a draw on my card. You could argue either fighter winning that fight and not be wrong. TBH, I don't think a draw was a bad decision even though the way we got there was very bad.

I've watched this fight multiple times and while a 10-8 round is a terrible decision, it's also proof that a 10-point must is stupid. Why does someone have to win a round? Why can't a round be tied? Why can't a ref give it 10-10 if both fighters work their butt off and there is nothing between them or 9-9 if both absolutely equally sucked?
a round can be tied at 10-10

Valentina is well on her way to getting a big book of excuses along with Big Nog, Hendricks, and the rest.

Name me someone else who thought the 5th Round was a 10-8 besides Mike Bell…I’ll wait.

Back