Vendetta: State Of Colorado Goes After Cake Maker Jack Phillips Again

GetTheseHands

2 For 1 Deal
Banned
Reaction score
Although the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June that Colorado cannot treat cake artist Jack Phillips differently than others, state officials have continued to do just that in response to a more recent complaint filed against him. Alliance Defending Freedom attorneys representing Phillips and his cake shop filed a federal lawsuit late Tuesday against those officials for doubling down on their anti-religious hostility. The Supreme Court sided with Phillips in June in a 7-2 decision, saying legal proceedings in Colorado had shown a hostility toward the baker’s religious views. However, the opinion was a narrow one, applying to the specific facts of that case only. The court did not rule on whether business owners can invoke religious objections to refuse service to LGBTQ people.

On June 26, 2017, the same day that the Supreme Court agreed to take up Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, an attorney asked Phillips to create a cake designed pink on the inside and blue on the outside, which the attorney said was to celebrate a gender transition from male to female. Phillips declined the request because the custom cake would have expressed messages about sex and gender identity that conflict with his religious beliefs. Less than a month after the Supreme Court ruled for Phillips in his first case, the state surprised him by finding probable cause to believe that Colorado law requires him to create the requested gender-transition cake.

“Colorado has renewed its war against him by embarking on another attempt to prosecute him, in direct conflict with the Supreme Court’s ruling in his favor. This lawsuit is necessary to stop Colorado’s continuing persecution of Phillips,” the suit continues.

http://www.adfmedia.org/News/PRDetail/10601

It looks like they are going to keep pressing this until they get the result they want to put him out of business.

They just can’t leave a guy alone. They have to purposely destroy someone’s life that wasn’t seeking to discriminate. He just has his own set of religious values.

Gay marriage was never about gay marriage. It was all about pushing an agenda. And going after people's lives who do not support all the gay.

How does Christian belief bear on transgender issues?

It seems to me there are some here pursuing a precedent where "religious belief" becomes a catch-all to avoid established civil law when an individual doesn't care for it. What's next? Serving a black couple violates someone's "religious beliefs"? I'm sure some asshole will try to found a religion that forwards that theology.

This is extremely dicey.

This is pure harassment. You can be a transgender woman who makes love to a microwave oven and you'll be praised. But don't you dare believe in Jesus. Days of Noah.

Although the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June that Colorado cannot treat cake artist Jack Phillips differently than others, state officials have continued to do just that in response to a more recent complaint filed against him. Alliance Defending Freedom attorneys representing Phillips and his cake shop filed a federal lawsuit late Tuesday against those officials for doubling down on their anti-religious hostility. The Supreme Court sided with Phillips in June in a 7-2 decision, saying legal proceedings in Colorado had shown a hostility toward the baker’s religious views. However, the opinion was a narrow one, applying to the specific facts of that case only. The court did not rule on whether business owners can invoke religious objections to refuse service to LGBTQ people.

On June 26, 2017, the same day that the Supreme Court agreed to take up Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, an attorney asked Phillips to create a cake designed pink on the inside and blue on the outside, which the attorney said was to celebrate a gender transition from male to female. Phillips declined the request because the custom cake would have expressed messages about sex and gender identity that conflict with his religious beliefs. Less than a month after the Supreme Court ruled for Phillips in his first case, the state surprised him by finding probable cause to believe that Colorado law requires him to create the requested gender-transition cake.

“Colorado has renewed its war against him by embarking on another attempt to prosecute him, in direct conflict with the Supreme Court’s ruling in his favor. This lawsuit is necessary to stop Colorado’s continuing persecution of Phillips,” the suit continues.

http://www.adfmedia.org/News/PRDetail/10601

It looks like they are going to keep pressing this until they get the result they want to put him out of business.

Everyone involved in this, Phillips and the gay couple and the attorney and literally everyone, is a fucking idiot.

Life is so fucking short. What kind of a fucking moron has the time and energy to spend it on this kind of shit?

Then again - I'm here on Sherdog...

Just make the cake but make it fucking horribly

It seems to me there are some here pursuing a precedent where "religious belief" becomes a catch-all to avoid established civil litigation when an individual doesn't care for it. What's next? Serving a black couple violates someone's "religious beliefs"? I'm sure some asshole will try to found a religion that forwards that theology.

This is extremely dicey.
Deut 22:5
A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.

Hopefully Jack Phillips wins a court case so that he can't get sued for every single cake he doesn't bake.

Now comes the real challenge.
Money or principles...

Until they start targeting Islamic and Jewish businesses I will view this as a clear attack on Christians. Both this, and the one in Indiana a few years back were deliberate. They searched and searched until they found someone that said no and you dont have to search far for an Islamic place that will not do business with an LGBT person or even a Q+ wackjob.

Hopefully Jack Phillips wins a court case so that he can't get sued for every single cake he doesn't bake.
Apparently you dont know how the court system works here. I've been sued by a loony in-law several times trying to get custody of my kid- and it's 100% legal. We are told that as long as they space the lawsuit out enough it isnt considered harassment.

Everyone involved in this, Phillips and the gay couple and the attorney and literally everyone, is a fucking idiot.

Life is so fucking short. What kind of a fucking moron has the time and energy to spend it on this kind of shit?

Then again - I'm here on Sherdog...

LOL but I have to agree. The civil rights issues is fairly clear to me but what dumb hill to die on. First world problems......

Until they start targeting Islamic and Jewish businesses I will view this as a clear attack on Christians. Both this, and the one in Indiana a few years back were deliberate. They searched and searched until they found someone that said no and you dont have to search far for an Islamic place that will not do business with an LGBT person or even a Q+ wackjob.

What Jewish or Muslim businesses are turning down gay clients? Not being a dick, asking a legitimate question.

“Colorado has renewed its war against him by embarking on another attempt to prosecute him, in direct conflict with the Supreme Court’s ruling in his favor. This lawsuit is necessary to stop Colorado’s continuing persecution of Phillips,” the suit continues

Is there a way he can sue these bastards?

Deut 22:5
A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.
Transvestites aren't transgenders, and fashion changes so radically that what they wore as men's clothing comes closer, by modern standards, to a woman's dress. Furthermore, if the transgender person isn't yet transgender, and isn't cross-dressing when he/she orders, then even this religious text is irrelevant.

Finally, the freedom to practice religion doesn't supersede secular law. We are not a Christian nation. We are a secular nation composed mostly of Christians (for now, at least). We cannot tolerate a precedent that allows a Muslim to refuse service to a Christian because anyone who isn't a Muslim is an "infidel". We must manage a common space.

The best defense of the baker, here, is my previously forwarded arguments about custom orders. It preserves both the CRA and the freedom of religion. It really is a finely-balanced and highly creative compromise. I'm quite proud of it.

It seems to me there are some here pursuing a precedent where "religious belief" becomes a catch-all to avoid established civil law when an individual doesn't care for it. What's next? Serving a black couple violates someone's "religious beliefs"? I'm sure some asshole will try to found a religion that forwards that theology.

This is extremely dicey.

This case is different from others because we're talking about custom cakes. The man is happy to sell LGBTBBQ members cakes off the shelf however he won't accept a special request that involves spending hours decorating a cake from scratch about a theme he disagrees with. It's like if you went to an artist and told them that you wanted to commission them into making something that disgusts them or something they don't feel comfortable painting, and the artist refused. Forcing them to do it would be mandated labour, that's fucked up. Protected classes in the context of mandated labour wouldn't even make sense, are you going to go to an artist who's an atheist and force them to draw them to draw pictures of Jesus Christ? That's why the courts went in favour of him.

Back