• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Locked VENOM Movie (First Critics Reactions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really don't know where they're going with this one...

I don't want to bring up Ang Lee's Hulk, because obviously Lee and Fleischer are every different directors (and despite being maligned I liked the film), but still.

Maybe it'll end up being the Black Swan of superhero movies or something.

Update: October 3, 2017

GIFTED Actress Jenny Slate to Join Tom Hardy in Sony's VENOM Movie

SIdV8Rm.jpg

Jenny Slate is in negotiations to join Tom Hardy in Sony’s Venom movie. Sources say Slate will play a scientist in the film. Michelle Williams and Riz Ahmed are also on board with Ruben Fleischer directing.

Scott Rosenberg (Jumanji) and Jeff Pinkner (The Dark Tower) will write the script for Venom, with Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach producing the movie, along with Amy Pascal.

The studio has made it clear that Spider-Man will not appear in these stand alones but have left the door open for Venom to possibly appear in other Spider-Man related pics. Venom is set to hit theaters on Oct. 5, 2018.

Slate has already shown her range in 2017, jumping from dramas like Gifted to lighthearted dramedies like Aardvark and The Polka King. She recently starred in Landline for Amazon, reteaming with Gillian Robespierre and Elisabeth Holm, the filmmakers behind her 2014 comedy Obvious Child.

She just wrapped production on Drew Pearce’s Hotel Artemis opposite Jodie Foster and Sofia Boutella and lent her voice to Illumination’s Secret Life of Pets 2.

Jenny Slate Joins Tom Hardy in ‘Venom’ (Exclusive)

Update: October 16, 2017

VEEP's Reid Scott Joins Tom Hardy and Michelle Williams in VENOM

Z7NqZWA.jpg

Reid Scott is in talks to join the cast of Sony’s Spider-Man spinoff Venom starring Tom Hardy.

Riz Ahmed, Michelle Williams, and Jenny Slate are also on board, with Ruben Fleischer directing. Sony had no comment on the casting.

Scott Rosenberg (Jumanji), Jeff Pinkner (The Dark Tower), and Kelly Marcel will write the script for Venom. Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are producing the movie, along with Amy Pascal. Palak Patel and Eric Fineman are overseeing the project for Columbia Pictures.

The studio has made it clear that Spider-Man will not be in these standalone films, but has left the door open for Venom to possibly appear in other Spider-Man-related movies. Venom hits theaters on Oct. 5, 2018.

Since its inception in 1988, the alien symbiote Venom has been one of Spider-Man’s most popular characters, making the film a top priority for Sony. The villain made his first big-screen appearance in Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man 3, where he was portrayed by Topher Grace.

Besides Veep, Scott most recently appeared in Open Road’s Home Again opposite Reese Witherspoon and can be seen next in Under the Eiffel Tower. He also has a recurring role in NBC’s Great News.

‘Veep’ Actor Reid Scott in Talks to Join Tom Hardy in Sony's Spider-Man Spinoff ‘Venom’ (Exclusive)

Update: October 19, 2017

ONLY THE BRAVE Actor Scott Haze Joins Tom Hardy in Sony's VENOM Movie

GaDHctK.jpg

The web of Venom has entangled another actor. Scott Haze, who appears this month with Miles Teller in the war drama Thank You For Your Service, has joined the project, which is part of Sony’s universe of Marvel-licensed characters.

Tom Hardy is starring as the Marvel antihero with Riz Ahmed, Michelle Williams and Jenny Slate also on the roll call. Zombieland's Ruben Fleischer is directing.

Character details for Haze are being kept in, um, a haze.

Carnage is the villain in this piece and although rumors whispered Ahmed for the role, the studio has said that is not so.

Avi Arad, Matt Tolmach, and Amy Pascal are producing Venom, which is set to open Oct. 5, 2018.

Haze is an actor, writer, and director who broke out with the 2014 adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's Child Of God, directed by James Franco. He also appeared in Midnight Special with Michael Shannon. In addition to Thank You for Your Service, he will also be seen in Sony’s Only The Brave opposite Josh Brolin. Brave opens Friday.

Haze also directed the documentary Mully which was released by Fathom earlier this month

Scott Haze in Talks to Join Tom Hardy in Sony's Spider-Man Spinoff Movie 'Venom' (Exclusive)

VENOM Movie Rumored to Be Based on Lethal Protector Limited Series

WDmNfdx.png

There appear to be a lot of mixed feelings toward Venom. On the one hand, the Spider-Man spinoff is assembling one hell of a cast but on the other, the fact it takes place away from the Marvel Cinematic Universe in a world which may not include Peter Parker is more than a little infuriating. However, we have some good news today as it appears as if the movie is going to adapt Venom: Lethal Protector.

In that story, Venom has made an agreement with Spider-Man that they'll leave each other alone on the condition that Eddie Brock doesn't commit any crimes. After moving to San Francisco, it's not long before Venom is tracked down by a group of super-powered mercenaries looking to take him down.

According to this new report, Venom will be shot in San Francisco for a period of time and Sony is looking to cast mercenaries for the movie. That's more than likely The Jury, the group from Lethal Protector whose armour is based on stolen Stark designs (which could link Venom to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in a very loose way).

Taking Venom to California certainly helps differentiate it from Spider-Man's New York-based adventures and is a good way of paying homage to the source material.

It Sounds Like The Venom Movie Will Be Based On This Classic Comic Book Storyline

Update: October 23, 2017

VENOM Officially Starts Production; First Behind-the-Scenes Photo of Tom Hardy

1fU0PMW.jpg

VENOM Movie Rumored to Be Based on Lethal Protector Limited Series

WDmNfdx.png

There appear to be a lot of mixed feelings toward Venom. On the one hand, the Spider-Man spinoff is assembling one hell of a cast but on the other, the fact it takes place away from the Marvel Cinematic Universe in a world which may not include Peter Parker is more than a little infuriating. However, we have some good news today as it appears as if the movie is going to adapt Venom: Lethal Protector.

In that story, Venom has made an agreement with Spider-Man that they'll leave each other alone on the condition that Eddie Brock doesn't commit any crimes. After moving to San Francisco, it's not long before Venom is tracked down by a group of super-powered mercenaries looking to take him down.

According to this new report, Venom will be shot in San Francisco for a period of time and Sony is looking to cast mercenaries for the movie. That's more than likely The Jury, the group from Lethal Protector whose armour is based on stolen Stark designs (which could link Venom to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in a very loose way).

Taking Venom to California certainly helps differentiate it from Spider-Man's New York-based adventures and is a good way of paying homage to the source material.

It Sounds Like The Venom Movie Will Be Based On This Classic Comic Book Storyline

This is definitely strange but I'm a big fan of the character and would like to see what can be done with him regardless of it being outside the MCU.
I really enjoyed the storyline back when.

I'm on board with this as long as it's a well done, well thought out movie. True to the comics. If they have a fucking indian carnage that will be the last straw.

Update: August 9, 2017

Riz Ahmed in Talks to Join Tom Hardy in Sony's VENOM Movie

OX23gyz.jpg

Riz Ahmed is looking to join another universe.

The Rogue One: A Star Wars Story star is in talks to join Sony's Venom, the studio's first spin-off in a shared universe based on Spider-Man characters. Ahmed's character is being kept under wraps, but insiders say he would not be playing the villain Carnage, which Sony has been looking to cast. Sources say he was considered for the role before script changes were made.

Tom Hardy is starring in Venom as the title character, who in the comic books is a photographer named Eddie Brock who, when bonded with an alien symbiote, becomes Venom. He's been both a nemesis of Spider-Man, as well as an anti-hero and protector of the innocent.

Zombieland's Ruben Fleischer is directing Venom, which Sony hopes will be the the first in a series of movies based on Spider-Man characters. It is also developing the Silver Sable/Black Cat movie Silver and Black from director Gina Prince-Bythewood.

Sony is riding high when it comes to Spidey following Spider-Man: Homecoming, the studio's collaboration with Marvel Studios, which received a strong response and has grossed more than $675 million worldwide since opening last month. Venom is set to open Oct. 5, 2018.

Ahmed, who performs music under the name Riz MC, recently starred in the acclaimed HBO drama The Night Of, which scored him a Golden Globe nomination.

Riz Ahmed in Talks to Join Tom Hardy in Sony's 'Venom'

This dude is a complete moron and I wouldn't be upset if he never worked again.

This dude is a complete moron and I wouldn't be upset if he never worked again.

Riz? I always thought he was a good guy. Met him a few times before he was famous and he came across as really genuine and friendly too. Thought hen was great in "night of".

Why do you dislike him so much?

Riz? I always thought he was a good guy. Met him a few times before he was famous and he came across as really genuine and friendly too. Thought hen was great in "night of".

I would also like to know where the Riz Ahmed hate comes from. This isn't the first time I've heard it, but he's never really jumped out at me either way.

Diego Luna was way worse in Rogue One, IMO.

I would also like to know where the Riz Ahmed hate comes from. This isn't the first time I've heard it, but he's never really jumped out at me either way.

Diego Luna was way worse in Rogue One, IMO.
I believe the Riz Ahmed hate in here comes from the statement he made a few months back about the lack of diversity on TV will drive young people to ISIS.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture...k-of-diversity-on-tv-will-drive-young-to-isis

“If we fail to represent, we are in danger of losing people to extremism,” he said. “In the mind of the Isis recruit, he’s the next James Bond right? Have you seen some of those Isis propaganda videos, they are cut like action movies. Where is the counter narrative? Where are we telling these kids they can be heroes in our stories, that they valued?”

“People are looking for the message that they belong, that they are part of something, that they are seen and heard and that despite, or perhaps because of, their experience, they are valued. They want to feel represented. In that task we have failed.”

He added: “If we don’t step up and tell a representative story … we are going to start losing British teenagers to the story that the next chapter in their lives is written with Isis in Syria. We are going to see the murder of more MPs like Jo Cox because we’ve been mis-sold a story that is so narrow about who we are and who we should be.”

So no Carnage then?
Carnage is the villain in the movie. Rumors pointed to Riz Ahmed playing Carnage but the studio has denied it.

Update: June 21, 2017

Carnage Reportedly to be the Villain in VENOM; Talks of Kraven and Mysterio Spinoff

As for the expansion plans, Tom Hardy is starring in Venom, dated for Oct. 5, 2018, which will also feature the villain Carnage. A source says Holland is only contractually obligated to Spider-Man 2 and 3, but the intention is to bring him into the spinoffs and possibly other Marvel films (he is currently shooting Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War).

Another spinoff, Silver & Black, doesn't have a release date but is eyeing a fall shoot and features characters Silver Sable and Black Cat. Other projects will focus on Kraven the Hunter and Mysterio. The idea, says a studio source, is to build out a world gradually rather than launch one immediately, as they had been trying with Spider-Man villain ensemble Sinister Six, which has been shelved.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-how-sony-learned-cede-control-marvel-1015408

I believe the Riz Ahmed hate in here comes from the statement he made a few months back about the lack of diversity on TV will drive young people to ISIS.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture...k-of-diversity-on-tv-will-drive-young-to-isis

“If we fail to represent, we are in danger of losing people to extremism,” he said. “In the mind of the Isis recruit, he’s the next James Bond right? Have you seen some of those Isis propaganda videos, they are cut like action movies. Where is the counter narrative? Where are we telling these kids they can be heroes in our stories, that they valued?”

“People are looking for the message that they belong, that they are part of something, that they are seen and heard and that despite, or perhaps because of, their experience, they are valued. They want to feel represented. In that task we have failed.”

He added: “If we don’t step up and tell a representative story … we are going to start losing British teenagers to the story that the next chapter in their lives is written with Isis in Syria. We are going to see the murder of more MPs like Jo Cox because we’ve been mis-sold a story that is so narrow about who we are and who we should be.”

That statement essentially just sounds like he's saying 'give me more work'.

"Lack of diversity on TV drives teens to ISIS" is pretty dumb (albeit kind of a misquote)... as though the only two choices for immigrant teens are movie star and suicide bomber.

But I'm all for people getting to see positive portrayals of themselves instead of the same tired tropes and negative stereotypes.

I dunno, I guess like with John Boyega a lot of people care about who these guys are when they aren't in character way more than I do.

I like the Lethal Protector angle but I still worry about Carnage being involved. Hopefully he's introduced at the end, Carnage in the first Venom movie is a mistake imo.

I like the Lethal Protector angle but I still worry about Carnage being involved. Hopefully he's introduced at the end, Carnage in the first Venom movie is a mistake imo.
Completely agree. Hopefully they introduce Cassidy as a serial killer first, have him be a villain thst way, preying on people and getting picked up by the merc's.

Have Venom battling it out with the merc's, get captured towards the end, separated from the symbiote and have him bust out.

Then give a closing shot of Carnage being created, busting out of the prison, tearing his way through guards, etc.

Set it up for a sequel and don't pull a BvS by using a big iconic bad forced into a movie too early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back