Vick KO - Upkick or Axe Kick ?

shankmcgank

Beep/Boop/Bop
@Black
Reaction score
Regarding the Vick KO by Price.

In your opinion, was this an upkick or an axe kick from a grounded position?

My new friend @VVarhead makes some good points regarding this, where he feels it is an upkick. I will let him explain why he believes Price's kick to be an upkick.

To me, this kick seems to be an axe kick from a grounded position. Niko's foot and leg were making an axe kick like maneuver and his foot would have hit the canvas had Vick's chin not gotten in the way. The foot was heading downwards towards the mat as it connected with Vick's face. You can see this even more clearly, with his second kick attempt, which missed as Vick was collapsing.

Not sure why my embeds don't work, but here is a "traditional" upkick KO of Oleg Taktarov.

https://imgshare.io/image/kindpasteagle-size-restricted.WvkNu

Vs.

Price Upkick/Axe Kick KO of Vick.

https://imgshare.io/image/elasticthoughtfulbluejay-size-restricted-1.WvudX

@WannaB Suggested a new name for his kick called the BAX kick (Back Axe Kick), which I think is quite fitting.

What do you guys think ?

If a mod could make a poll for me, I'd love you long time.

Good topic. Definitely more of the movement and impact of an axe-kick as the heel came downwards. A better upkick example is Mousasi/Souza 1.

Heel was moving toward the ground, so it seemed to be more of an axe kick

I say it was a Hell of a good kick!<Eek2.0>

It was a SLOBBER KNOCKER

tenor.gif

It was an upkick, unless we're gonna start calling traditional upkicks front kicks

It was utter destruction. That's what it was.

All chokes started off nameless until someone did it. Let Niko name it, like the Vicks VaporRub or something goofy.

So, I see how multiple people call it an Axe Kick and I definitely see where you're coming from, however for me the problem is that the technique is taught differently (extended leg, standing position, straight downward, etc) which is why I wouldn't call it an axe kick because I think Karate or TKD practicioners would simply disagree with it being an Axe Kick and would never teach it that way, so it's a different technique.

However due to the fact that the kick came downwards onto Vick's face makes referring to it as an "UPkick" shaky aswell. I think Niko should or could come up with a new term of how to describe a kick like that, because both an axe kick and an upkick are inaccurate for me. However due to him being in bottom position and his opponent being standing I'd refer to it as an "Upkick" before I'd call it an "Axe Kick".

He definitely threw a different technique than your regular upkick, however it was probably just due to the situation and not his actual intent to throw the kick like that, which we should also consider.

Also lol @ the sound that kick made. Frightening.

I don't know. the kick was surely a upkick but the heel was what hurt Vick. i saw that several times and damn, if you got ko by that your chin is gone, if it was a full foot kick ok but...

I don't think it really matters. It's easier to refer to it as an "upkick" because that's what it's usually referred to when we see something land/a KO from that position.

It was brutal w/e it was... Felt bad for Vick, that was the worst KO of his past 3... Hopefully UFC gives him one more crack at WW so he can better fill into that frame. He's a small WW now & was much smaller/softer than Niko. Not that I want to see Vick get starched again, but would like to see if he can comeback from this

It sounded like he jaw broke from the impact. Any word on the extend of his injuries ?

It’s called an upkick because a person on the ground is kicking up towards a target above them.

It’s called an upkick because a person on the ground is kicking up towards a target above them.

That was my opinion aswell, but the kick clearly comes downward onto Vick's chin.
However Price was grounded, Vick was standing which kinda makes it an upkick still.

Regarding the Vick KO by Price.

In your opinion, was this an upkick or an axe kick from a grounded position?

My new friend @VVarhead makes some good points regarding this, where he feels it is an upkick. I will let him explain why he believes Price's kick to be an upkick.

To me, this kick seems to be an axe kick from a grounded position. Niko's foot and leg were making an axe kick like maneuver and his foot would have hit the canvas had Vick's chin not gotten in the way. The foot was heading downwards towards the mat as it connected with Vick's face. You can see this even more clearly, with his second kick attempt, which missed as Vick was collapsing.

Not sure why my embeds don't work, but here is a "traditional" upkick KO of Oleg Taktarov.

https://imgshare.io/image/kindpasteagle-size-restricted.WvkNu

Vs.

Price Upkick/Axe Kick KO of Vick.

https://imgshare.io/image/elasticthoughtfulbluejay-size-restricted-1.WvudX

@WannaB Suggested a new name for his kick called the BAX kick (Back Axe Kick), which I think is quite fitting.

What do you guys think ?

If a mod could make a poll for me, I'd love you long time.
It's obviously an uptick, you poor naive child.

Any kick, regardless of type, coming from the grounded position, is referred to as an upkick. So it's an upkick.

An axe kick is fired from the standing position, and is called an axe kick because of it's upward swinging motion followed by the downward chopping kick, like an axe.

When was the last time you saw a guy laying under a tree chopping upwards with his axe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back