Media Volk Interview : "I Wanna See How Easily He Breaks When Things Don't Go To Plan”

Its an interesting fight. Volk has proven himself to be a great fighter and has overcome the doubters before. I wont write him off, I think he loses, but I think it goes all 5 rounds and wouldn't be surprised if he wins a round or 2.

Yeah that point by Volk doesnt mean anything if he doesnt apply it properly in fights....

Much weaker and worse wrestlers than Islam have tied up with Volk, gotten him down and in bad positions including being nearly strangled.

And not one of those guys are on Islams level.
Yet Alex thinks he can make up that gap in one training camp.

Some sparse Cliffs:
  • Glad khabib and islam called him out in the cage.
  • Happy that he got to experience a whole fight week with them and feel their presence in the arena/octagon.
  • Says islam is a big strong wrestler, but he's been training with wrestlers bigger than him all of his life.
  • In regards to Islam constantly calling him short, volk responds "you think the last 25 people I beat didn't think or say that? You're just saying something everyone else has said"
  • He thinks Islam is kind of underestimating him in a sense because of the size difference, which might shock islam when they face off in the octagon because when volk is going to be in front of islam, making him uncomfortable on the feet, and then when he tries to grab volk, islam will realize volk isn't as weak as he thought, and all of this will start to break islam, and volk wants to see his face when that happens.
  • He puts himself in the shittiest positions possible in camp. He won't be phased by what islam brings.
  • Wants to see how islam reacts when the short man gets back up and punches him in the face.

What volk brings that other past opponents of Islam didn't bring:
  • Volk is not going to stand in front of him. Nothing but respect to charles, but he's there to be hit. Volk is not.
  • Islam will be trying to figure out a puzzle in front of him. The movement is going to be difficult, he'll try to grab a leg, but he has to be in the right position to feel comfortable enough to shoot, and he won't feel that straight away, and he'll become desperate.
  • Islam hasn't faced anyone with the calculated footwork that volk has.
  • Volk's confident in his ability to stuff takedowns and get back to his feet.
  • Everyone thinks Volk is small and short, but within 10 seconds he sees his opponents looking uncomfortable and confused.
  • Volk mentions "It's funny because they think they're the only guys that's just wrestled or something, as if we haven't been training wrestling...."

Great cliffs Theo.

I wanna see the look on Volks face when he realizes he’s not grappling against little Brian Ortega

<30>

And not one of those guys are on Islams level.
Yet Alex thinks he can make up that gap in one training camp.

To be fair, he has probably been working on his wrestling since any of those fights, I don't think one camp is an accurate assessment here, bud.

Another pointless "superfight". Here's my prediction: the bigger fighter will take the smaller fighter down and sub him. Let's see if I'm right.

Jarl

Volk is no slouch. I am not liking how he is being written off as a FW who can't do shit. I am not saying Islam can't beat him I am saying he has the tools to beat Islam as well. Regardless of who wins it would be a good win on thier resume.

Another pointless "superfight". Here's my prediction: the bigger fighter will take the smaller fighter down and sub him. Let's see if I'm right.

Jarl
Its not pointless,its actually fun and awesome.

To be fair, he has probably been working on his wrestling since any of those fights, I don't think one camp is an accurate assessment here, bud.

Its like saying I have been working in boxing for 7 years and now I think Im ready for Duran.
Also, the Ortega fight was like 10 seconds ago and he took Alex down a couple of times, and he's not what you would call good at takedowns.

If he's been working in it since the Elkins fight he hasn't progressed all that much my friend.

I'm a Volk fanboy but man, this one is a tall order. The only thing that makes it even remotely entertaining is just how skilled Volk is, I just don't think it's going to be enough unfortunately.

Its like saying I have been working in boxing for 7 years and now I think Im ready for Duran.
Also, the Ortega fight was like 10 seconds ago and he took Alex down a couple of times, and he's not what you would call good at takedowns.

If he's been working in it since the Elkins fight he hasn't progressed all that much my friend.

Yeah, but it's still MMA and not straight wrestling or grappling. Boxing is a single discipline sport.

I'm not saying it will be enough. I'm just saying it's not fair to say he thinks he can do it all in one camp, when he has been working on it continuously.

Yeah, but it's still MMA and not straight wrestling or grappling. Boxing is a single discipline sport.

I'm not saying it will be enough. I'm just saying it's not fair to say he thinks he can do it all in one camp, when he has been working on it continuously.

Well whoever is teaching him isn't doing a solid job considering the Elkins fight was years ago.
He has progressed his striking however and that's been noticable.

Volkov is way ahead in the striking. But is he really strong enough phisically to not get dummied by Islam's wrestling.

Can Islam just grab him and keep him down and abuse him.

Why ia everyone acting like this midget is a great grappler...Ortega had his way with him on the ground for the most part.

Islam only needs one take down and it's over.

This pitter patter fanny style Volk has might work against midgets but Islam will finish him on the feet or by sub whenever he likes.

Islam will have to put himself in punching range to get the takedown. I think Volk beats him to the punch as the shorter quicker fighter, but whether he’ll have the power to hurt him at LW will decide if Islam can walk through and secure the TD.

Would've been more fun and awesome to have the guy that earned that shot fight the fight.
Well he could have done somethin about it,but he let Volk come in and take it with no resistance.

Having a title gives you power. Volk is exercising his rights. Flexing his muscle,as it were.

Respect to Volk if he makes this fight it is very similar to Izzy taking a shot at Jan. Not much chance he actually wins the fight against a bigger, stronger extremely dominant wrestler but Volk doesn't lose anything and gets some great experience.

Funny thing is when Volk entered the UFC people thought of him as a wrestler and nowadays he's looked on as a polished striker.

Back