Volk is kinda lucky

Lucky? Dude just put on a masterclass performance, one of the greatest title fight beatdowns and displays of heart ever seen. Those escapes on sub attempts from Ortega were simply incredible. That's not a hole, that's a trait called mental fortitude.

Not a huge fan but you don't deny greatness when it's shown. Interested to see if he can keep this fire even as a dominant champion.

I used the word luck to get smart ppl like you to comment. Its the wrong word. Respect.

Or it could be that he is just really driven and has developed skills and mentality necessary to remain the belt holder.

Or it could be that he is just really driven and has developed skills and mentality necessary to remain the belt holder.

Again. If you are game planning against him, youd be nuts not to consider this.

he's been good at defending subs for a while

Hes not lucky. Alex trains with Craig Jones who is a very high level grappler. Apparently he’s pretty good on the ground too and we saw that proved last night.

I will be interested to see a technical breakdown from a reputable practitioner outlining the details of Volk's two submission "escapes".

They looked to me, in both cases, like it was just a matter of Volk toughing them out and waiting for Ortega to tire. Something even a white belt with enough toughness and calm could have done.

Volk's lucky the judging wasn't as biased as the reffing, medical team, and commentary.

Only a tin foil hatter thinks that if the damage roles had been reversed the ring doc and ref wouldn't have given Volk the exact same treatment to make sure their determinations were correct before allowing him to continue.

Again. If you are game planning against him, youd be nuts not to consider this.
No one goes into a fight planning to fight through submissions, but being comfortable when caught in one is incredibly helpful when it happens. Not possible with joint submissions, but he clearly doesn't panic in a choke. Many fighters would have tapped to those last night. He is fortunate to have that mental ability as well as not going out. He clearly knows his capability from training.

I saw it as Volk had no respect for Ortega somewhere in round 2. He knew he could do whatever he wanted in there. I've only seen him fight like that against Mendes.

The "hole" is this - volks confidence in his undeniable talents and training causes him to take some risks

If you can get him to do that when he is a bit drier in rd 1, you have a better chance of subbing him

This shouldn't be controversial tbh
But he doesn't do it when he's drier, and why would round 1 apply to his opponent being stronger and not his own ability to power out?

Hes not lucky. Alex trains with Craig Jones who is a very high level grappler. Apparently he’s pretty good on the ground too and we saw that proved last night.

Alot of good fighters wouldn’t have gotten out of a dangerous Ortega sub.
And a lot of em would have disengaged at the first opportunity if they escaped. The follow up ground and pound was insane.

lol a hole in his game because ORTEGA snatched some shit with lightning speed?

stop with that shit, volk honestly doesnt even have a weakness.

Just shows that with Ortega, he only needs 1 moment of opportunity to sink in a sub and end your night, even if you're kicking his ass.

Unfortunately for Ortega this time, he had the sub sunk in and Volk just refused to tap and found a way out. I thought for sure he was done in that mounted guillotine. One of the most impressive sub escapes i've seen.

I was yelling at the TV.

I have no idea how he didn't tap to that. Volkanovski is a fucking magician. That guy's mental game is unmatched. Was cool as a cucumber all week and under duress he didn't panic. It was impressive.

I used the word "luck" to get engagement on this thread...

Its the wrong word

Volk is a total stud and deserves all the credit

A better way to think of it is this - if they rematch, will Ortega try harder to get the fight on the ground in rd 1?

I have to say yes.
Ortega can work his way thru the killers and EARN another crack if he is capable of doing so.

Back