Volk is still P4P #1

I don't have a problem with that honestly... even though he lost, he showed that he's about even with Islam, but in a lower weightclass.

Agree

Islam was fighting in his own weight division and only got the job done in average fashion

Volk was the one challenging himself, he shouldn't lose all the credit he built because he lost in a different weight class.

If Islam had gone down to FW and beaten Volk then I'd say Islam takes the #1 P4P

P4P is purely subjective but at least he gave it a shot. It’s tough to move him down for taking a risk

Volk is still above Islam in P4P rankings. Not whatever the UFC says but in actual measurements of MMA skill.

Volk gave Islam a tough fight despite being much smaller. Volk was the fresher fighter at the end and would have won if the fight went past 5 rounds.

Another way to think about this is to ask yourself who would win at 145? Islam could easily make that weight. But he would never fight Volk at 145 because he'd get destroyed.

Volk is definitely the Goat but credit to Islam too, by all acounts had a terrible weight cut and looked drained but still hung in there until then end and even won many striking exchanges. Volk like I said many times is thick af and strong as an ox, there really wasn't much size discrepancy aprt from the height.

Wow what a fight! Volk is definitely pound for pound #1 in the World. Surprised this fight was this close. Kind of a lame move by Islam calling out the lighter Champ, should’ve called out the Champ from a weight class higher. How would Islam fare if he fought the Champ in the higher weight class and Volk fought the Champ in the weight class below his? Volk pound for pound #1, best in the world right now.

Without doubt. I was expecting Volk to get destroyed and he was a wide underdog, most experts thought he would get finished. So his stock has to go up from this fight (relative to Islam and absolutely) and Volk was already P4P No.1.

Let's say that Fury and Usyk fight and Fury wins a 7-5 UD, with a significant minority believing that Usyk drew or won. Is Fury suddenly P4P No.1? Of course not: Usyk's 5 inches shorter and 83% of Fury's bodyweight. If it was a one-sided beating for Fury then sure. But Islam looked more fatigued and damaged by the end of the fight, with Volk all over him.

When Islam goes up to welter and gives an elite champion a 50-50 war or beats him then he'll have an argument.

That don't knock Volk from the top. Islam is a lot bigger. The smaller guy took the bigger guy to the end and proved he has it in him to win that fight. Nope, Volk still tops in my book. If anything Islam couldn't even decisively beat the champ a weight class smaller. The argument could be made he moves down.

Last edited:
Back