Volk ruined his career with bad decisions

They certainly weren't good decisions. I do not know what his team and management were thinking, but at least that got a nice pay bump in their contract, I guess.

Fighting isn't like the video games where fighters just have certain ratings... and everytime they step in to fight that's what they are..

getting knocked out damages a fighter and people who assumed that Volk would just step in as his usual self were gravely mistaken.

Well I’d say he won the first Islam fight basically.
He definitely didn’t lose the fight lol like…get beat up.

Got fucked up the second time though, almost as if he wanted it.
He felt genuine in his attempt to defend here and obviously wanted to win this fight but Ilia isn’t a fighter you beat with will unless it’s with grappling.

It's all over. RIP Volk, we'll miss you bud. You were a true sherbro.

you ‘re making it sound like he made “Jon Jones decisions”

Volk's stock has plummeted.

35 years old and getting older fast. He had his time in the light, but obviously over the hill now -- and it's never been more clearer a turn from his highs.

Right or wrong, good or bad, true or false... the bottom line is, IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Definitely could've been managed better these last two outings in hindsight, but fighters play with risk and shit happens. Plus I think the Spaniard would've done that regardless, the combo that got him was brilliant, timing and placement masterful, and that power shot would've cleaved him previous KO or no

The Islam last minute fight clearly costed Volk some of his KO durability, very likely his inner confidence, definitely the aura of invincibility which the opponents feared.

It turned his trajectory from being the unquestionable GOAT at his weight class, perhaps even eventually retiring undefeated, to a declining champion who now could face a sequence of losses, damaging both health and legacy.

How one bad decision can change everything…

Easy to say in hindsight, but I was always against him moving up to face Islam once, much less twice. However, money is a good motivator. Let's hope he was compensated well, because after 2 back to back devastating KO losses in less than half a year, he may never be the same. 35 is already a tough age to be in these lighter divisions.

He already accomplished what 99% of the sport hasn’t. He got paid a big new contract right as he exited his prime. As long as he doesn’t stick around too long, he made the right decision.

His disclosed pay was $750k.

Most champs get $500k + the PPV except those that are big enough draws to command a “side letter” for guaranteed millions (Conor, Jones, Ronda, Brock).

As loved as he is by hardcore fans is there any proof outside of Australia he’s a big PPV draw?

Seems like a measly bump in pay conceptually, even if it’s a few million after the entire contract is up.

All the money/power/leverage comes from holding the belt. Volk gambled huge against Islam in the rematch and then doubled down taking on Topuria so soon after.

He might’ve got slept anyways, same as the Islam rematch. But we’ll always never know for sure now.

Last edited:
Back