Walmart considering $8/month streaming service to counter Netflix, Amazon

I'm rooting for small businesses like Walmart, it's hard for these Mom&Pop stores to compete with global giants.

There is now a distinct possibility that the phrase “Walmart Original Series” will be a thing in the future. Never thought I’d see that.

Alright this is getting ridiculous. Getting all these streaming services is gonna end up being as expensive as cable

what shows would they offer?
They have a ton of bargain bin dvds around the electronics section with a good portion of that being Hispanic centric movies. AmigoFlix?

I cant wait till these companies segregate everything and all these streaming services are deemed worthless. The cable companies will drop their rates and well all be back to time warner.

I never used Netflix or Hulu, etc., but would try a Apple version now that I have the Lightning to HDMI adapter.

Yeah, fuck Walmart for considering creating competition to let us consumers possibly have better prices and service. Uh...

Fuck Apple for having a lightning cable in the first place.

It will probably be movie content from their $1 dvd bargain bins

what shows would they offer?
I'm guessing they would negotiate to be able to stream the content, as an option, of the stuff they already sell on their store floors, to get started.

They are one of the last big distributors of physical inventory of Video and Audio so that would give them sway to get streaming rights with those content providers who do not want to lose that Walmart channel.

All in all it just seems that Walmart is not willing to cede to Amazon the title of the worlds top retailer and wherever Amazon looks to compete Walmart is going to consider. Amazon gave Walmart a huge boost when they bought Whole Foods and identified the value of physical distribution hubs or centers to major online retailers. Many thought the brick and mortar model was dead but Amazon has said it can play a vital part in getting goods to customers as they use these WholeFood locations as secondary distribution hubs for other goods.

Walmarts value has always been in it distribution and logistics model. They are best in breed at that. And if that element has a big place in the future of e-Retail then Walmart will leverage their strength in that area.

But how would they take your money and then treat you like a potential thief if you're in your own house?

They send the geriatric door greeters around to everyone's house to make sure their subscription is legit.

If they can combine a live streaming of basic channels on top of a netflix type streaming service at a low cost I think people would jump on

Don't get all the Wal-Mart hate. Their prices are fantastic and they have brand name stuff. What more can you ask for.

Back