Wanderlei Silva and CroCops lack of success in the UFC?

tomjones

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I know that fighting in the cage offers different challenges than in a ring. But Wanderlei and CroCop had great success in Pride fc and they both failed terribly in the UFC. To me the epic difference in performance shows that there maybe other reasons.

I know people will say that CroCop was over the hill, similar to Fedors fall from grace in the cage. But Silva fought in the UFC when he was far from being over the hill, albeit abit relatively new to the game.

I know that fighting in the cage offers different challenges than in a ring. But Wanderlei and CroCop had great success in Pride fc and they both failed terribly in the UFC. To me the epic difference in performance shows that there maybe other reasons.

I know people will say that CroCop was over the hill, similar to Fedors fall from grace in the cage. But Silva fought in the UFC when he was far from being over the hill, albeit abit relatively new to the game.
I'm a big wanderlei fan...

One the damage pride let there star sustain him fighting hunt and cro cop should have never happened.

2 in ufc he didn't have Cordero till later..2nd..he refused to use all his skills...

His fight with liddell just swung like a mad man.....same for leben fight....3rd fight against rampage any decent trainer would have drilled rampage high guard left hook counter but nope wand fell right into the trap

The Franklin fights he gassed those were going to be tough no matter what

Some fighters decline after long careers with lots of punishment. Big Nog and Wanderlei are interesting in that they both got wrecked in the UFC by a fighter they had beaten twice in PRIDE.

Only difference is Rampage finished Wand while Herring waited for Nog to recover instead of pouncing (and Nog ended up outpointing him).

Both instances simply show that anything can happen when you are on the downside of your career.

Wanderlei stayed pretty relevant when you consider his fight miles prior to the UFC. He had fallen off physically ,especially his speed and chin, and was able to adjust his game into that of a counter striker in order to avoid unnecessary damage. Watch him vs Michael bisping, easily his best performance imo post pride.

Crocop.. idk if he just fought too much prior to the ufc but he just lost the ability to pull the trigger. Physically he looked great, and in hindsight the UFC HW division was actually pretty solid during his ufc tenures,so it's a little harder to pin point his downfall. He clearly still had passion for the game, was in good shape, and while his chin wasn't great it was still serviceable, and yet couldn't sniff his prime abilities later in his career.

Wand 5-7 in UFC
Cro Cop 5-6 in UFC

Overall Wanderlei's fights were more exciting and Cro Cop's losses were worse overall

Wand 5 decision losses 2 KO losses

Cro Cop 1 decision loss 5 KO losses

I feel like Cro Cops only memorable win was his revenge on Gonzaga

and Wand gave us many great fights against Stann, Lee, Liddell, Jardine and the Franklin fights were decent too.

I am a big CC fan just putting it into perspective.

Wanderlei's career started in 1996, he didn't join the UFC till 2007, 11 years into his career and was 31-7-1 (1)NC for 39 total fights and had finished his Pride career with back to back KO losses. His prime was over before he joined the UFC, same goes for Cro Cop who had like 100 fights between boxing, K1 and MMA and was having lots of ankle and leg injuries. Cro Cop's career also started in the mid 90s.

Wanderlei's career started in 1996, he didn't join the UFC till 2007, 11 years into his career and was 31-7-1 (1)NC for 39 total fights and had finished his Pride career with back to back KO losses. His prime was over before he joined the UFC, same goes for Cro Cop who had like 100 fights between boxing, K1 and MMA and was having lots of ankle and leg injuries. Cro Cop's career also started in the mid 90s.
/thread

Wandy was fighting barenuckle's valetudos for hespect and better chow in his military service back in 1994; but what people fail to consider is the implosion of what's was letf of the chuteboxe (Pele, Ando Asuerio.. were long gone before).

Coming out of gear, losing training partners and coaches, with a shattered chin, nothing left of the strategic agression of yore, 40 pro fights in his back, insisting (And kind of been forced) to fight in a division he was always undersized in... It could've been much much worse.

Last edited:
Summed up answer? it's like Mirko said in his first Gabriel Gonzaga fight...he never consistently trained in a cage leading up to the fight. A lot of these guys came in used to PRIDE rules.

Back