Wanting to Lean up before I Bulk up.

Blindedinchains

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, two months ago I was at around 170lbs. I am 5'11 and though i have never been overweight, I have been out of shape (if that makes sense). Too much fat around my stomach/chest area for my liking. As of tomorrow I will have gone down to 158lbs but I dont feel I am loosing the fat on the areas im wanting to fast enough.

I work out 5 days a week, with about 20-25 min of running/cardio and an 1:00-1:30 of Weight lifting a day.

My diet however I would feel is probably my weakest part of my dieting/workout

Pre work out - MuscleMilk Protein shake With some kind of fruit and my GMC pre work out dietary suppliants

Costco - Muscle Milk

Is that all you eat in a day? Seems like a small amount of food. Also, 158lb at 5'11 is pretty light, you might want to consider bulking then cutting so that you actually have some muscle under the fat that you cut away.

Number 1 don't do any slow aerobic work. If you have to run or ride use intervals or tabata's.
number 2 your workouts are two long lift heavy and bulk up then lean up. To get lean do big compound exercises and superset them with antagonist exercises.

Eat clean and enjoy

Number 1 don't do any slow aerobic work. If you have to run or ride use intervals or tabata's.
number 2 your workouts are two long lift heavy and bulk up then lean up. To get lean do big compound exercises and superset them with antagonist exercises.

Eat clean and enjoy

I definitely disagree with the "don't do any slow aerobic work" statement. LSD runs definitely have their place. Modena lost a ton of weight mainly doing LSD. I prefer to have at least one day (preferably two days) of LSD a week and mix in interval/high intensity conditioning the others.

With all of that said, 5'11" at 158 lbs is really skinny. Do you have any athletic goals or is this all for appearance? If you say you are carrying fat around, my guess is that you aren't carrying much muscle at all if you are at 158 lbs at 5'11". You may want to realign your goals.

I definitely disagree with the "don't do any slow aerobic work" statement. LSD runs definitely have their place. Modena lost a ton of weight mainly doing LSD. I prefer to have at least one day (preferably two days) of LSD a week and mix in interval/high intensity conditioning the others.

With all of that said, 5'11" at 158 lbs is really skinny. Do you have any athletic goals or is this all for appearance? If you say you are carrying fat around, my guess is that you aren't carrying much muscle at all if you are at 158 lbs at 5'11". You may want to realign your goals.

I normally start off running 10 min on the treadmill, then do my lifting routine and mix in 2-3 5 min runs in between sets.

And as for the fat im talking about, its a little bit of stomach fat and a bit of chest fat (little moobs lol) I will say iv lost a bit of the fat already from my 170lbs days.

Goal wise for now just to lean up on the chest area a bit more before bulking up to a respectable size (no body builder status). And I will agree I did not have much muscle at all before my workouts.

P.S any others supplements aside from the protein shakes and the GNC Mega Man sport Dietary supplements i could take?

IMO I think that you should 'bulk' first! No offense but it seems like you are a newb to lifting. This means you have the opportuniuty to take advanatage of great and rapid gains in strength and muscle gain. Take advantage of this, I personally wouldn't want to limit the effects of my newb gains whilst being on a caloric restriction.

As Oblivian said, I would gather that You are not carrying too much muscle. Get a good program, stick to it, get bigger and stronger and eat lots. Sure, you are going to add a good amount of weight (assuming done properly) and yes, along with that you will add some fat. But IMO it is much easier to bulk THEN cut as opposed to the other way around. If you cut and then bulk how are you going to ensure that you don't negate your cut results when you start bulking and all your hard work is wasted?

Just my 2 pennies! :)

Back