War Room book thread

Finished Metro 2033, it was quite enjoyable. For anyone curious it's about life in the underground metro stations in Moscow after a nuclear war that has decimated earth.
Next book to read is this, been looking forward to it.
EDRs6Xy.png

This is classic Norman Finkelstein:

This is classic Norman Finkelstein:

Seen it, Finkelstein is a boss. Where many American "intellectuals" are too afraid to even mildly critique Israel, he stood out. That asshole Dershowitz had no case against him, and only got his will through the lobby and his connections.

Finished Hyperion. Despite having heard it as an audio book, it was definitely worth the time reading it as a text book. Also the German language is quite beautiful, I could feel near the end how my German improved. Next book to read:

JPEG_20190127_162108.jpg

The title is: "The new class struggle."

I've been reading a lot of fiction recently. I haven't really been reading much non-fiction. Last one I read was The Future Is History by Masha Gessen. It was ok. Basically followed around a bunch of ~35 year old Russians, detailing their lives from Soviet times until present, and how utterly and completely depressing and soul-sucking life in Russia is.

Numero Zero by Umberto Eco is fiction, but related to modern politics. Essentially a story about fake news in Italy. I enjoyed it, although there was some similarities to his Foucault's Pendulum.

Mentioned in another thread, but just started these two:

and

220px-Vineland.JPG

How did you like Vineland? A lot of Pynchon fans consider it his worst. Since it had been almost 20 years since Gravity's Rainbow, I think people were expecting something like what ended up being masterpieces like Mason and Dixon and Against The Day, but instead got a relatively simple and straightforward lighter piece first. But I enjoyed it. I'd love to hear Pynchon's take on the Trump era. Brock Vond would be wearing a MAGA hat.

How did you like Vineland? A lot of Pynchon fans consider it his worst. Since it had been almost 20 years since Gravity's Rainbow, I think people were expecting something like what ended up being masterpieces like Mason and Dixon and Against The Day, but instead got a relatively simple and straightforward lighter piece first. But I enjoyed it. I'd love to hear Pynchon's take on the Trump era. Brock Vond would be wearing a MAGA hat.

It wasn't a classic, but you can tell it was written by a great writer (and actually, I wasn't a fan of GR so I'm not like a general Pynchon fan). Had some great moments (I love the rainbow card situation). Also seems like it was a big influence on Kill Bill (I haven't seen commentary on that, but it seems unlikely that the similarities are a coincidence). I wouldn't recommend it, I guess, but I liked it.

Been on a Zadie Smith binge lately. I know she's always gotten good reviews, but the synopses of her stuff never seemed interesting to me, but after reading her great essay collection, I decided to give her a chance. White Teeth was not my thing but great, and Swing Time is even better.

It wasn't a classic, but you can tell it was written by a great writer (and actually, I wasn't a fan of GR so I'm not like a general Pynchon fan). Had some great moments (I love the rainbow card situation). Also seems like it was a big influence on Kill Bill (I haven't seen commentary on that, but it seems unlikely that the similarities are a coincidence). I wouldn't recommend it, I guess, but I liked it.

Been on a Zadie Smith binge lately. I know she's always gotten good reviews, but the synopses of her stuff never seemed interesting to me, but after reading her great essay collection, I decided to give her a chance. White Teeth was not my thing but great, and Swing Time is even better.
There was definitely a Kill Bill vibe going on in parts. The one guy even got something like the 5 point palm exploding heart technique done to him (or at least he was convinced that's what happened to him). Not familiar with Zadie Smith.

Finished Fall of Hyperion, was actually pretty sweet to read it in German. It helped my vocabulary a lot, and the story was amazing.

Dr Seuss "Oh the places you'll go".

Good for my 2 year old. Good for you 22 year olds.

Jackpot! Fellas, remember to always check used good stores, and what have you not. I found this today:
Ogx62WH.jpg
Retail price for a new copy is 650 Danish crowns or 86 euros, give or take a euro. Used 175 Danish crowns or 24 euros.
I paid 10 Danish crowns or 1 euro and 34 cents for it. I'm still smiling like an idiot. The book is in almost mint condition, with nothing written in it.

Short answer? Yes.

Long answer: I did a ton of research on prep schools, the educational outcomes and the social impacts. Probably the first thing I did with every school we applied to was to find an African-American father with a male child and grill him on his experiences as a parent. His perceptions of the changes the institution made in his child and how he felt about those changes. I asked the sort of questions that are often extremely uncomfortable to discuss with people who aren't raising minority children in a majority White environment.

The research on the negative effects of feeling like an outsider in what should be your place of comfort is well documented. So for minority children, it is essential that the school have a critical mass of similar children. This allows the children to develop a social group through which to explore and discuss the class and racial divisions that often underlie the history of such institutions.

In many ways, black kids are better off than poor white kids or other ethnicities in these environments. The poor white kids are excluded in terms of wealth from the wealthy white kids who form the historical spine of the school but they're not often in a place to grasp that class distinction clearly. The kids of other ethnicities are still on the outside, like the poor white kids, but they lack the numbers to find a cohesive social group within which to explore why they're outsiders. The black students are often sufficient in numbers to have a social group and are together across class lines (unlike the white student body) that they can work through these issues in a safe environment.

I have a 10 page paper written about some school in Pennsylvania that breaks it down in great depth.

Understanding those elements made it easier for me to make the decision (my wife made her decisions quickly and independent of mine). Once I could identify a sufficient mass of minority students within an institution then I could explore if that mass was socially preparing their children for what was to come. The institution that we ended up at was such a place. The black fathers had organized their own separate meeting group to work through issues of class and race. Father involvement being extremely important to me. And the school had a sufficient body of minority students that my child would have a safe place from which to learn how to mesh into the larger social environment.

I don't worry about the early years but once kids pass into puberty and competition for limited resources (such as girls) starts to appear, we'll see if I'm right or wrong about this.

I could write at length about how the networking dynamic of such places is significantly different for the atypical students at such places. Atypical meaning not wealthy, not generational, not white.

But as one extremely successful black alumni told me (8 figures successful) - I went there and then I went to an Ivy Laague university. The things that I learned at the prep school and the university are what prepared me to be successful now. I might not be as attached to the school as some of my White classmates post-graduation but I wouldn't be here without the school either.

So, I pulled the trigger and I'll give it a run.

Academically, it's more wait and see if they live up to the academic reputation.

Phenomenal post, would 10x like if that was possible.

Julius Evola - Meditations on the Peaks

Somehow reminiscent of Haruki Murakami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, MotP is a journey through the author's hobby in not only an experiential, but also philosophical, sense. It is a book about metaphysics, virtue, humility and a strenuous life. Rooted in earth, aiming at heights, it is a more personal approach to Evola's writings and shows that the man lived as he taught. An interesting little book.

About half way through Changing the Subject by Raymond Geuss. He borrows his thesis from Nietzsche that philosophy done right is not the answering, but the rejection of the questions of our day as pointless or ill posed, and the posing of a new question in its stead. He grounds this thesis in the overview of the writings of 10 selected philosophers from Socrates to Adorno and examines the way in which each philosopher changed the question from the previous philosophers.

I quite like Geuss' writing, but I can't stand listening to him talk. He sounds like an energetic winnie the pooh. I'll probably pick up his Philosophy and Real Politics next.

Red Notice

Excellent book about Russian Oligarchy, Putin and the Magnitsky Act; the Bi-Partisan act that was created after the murder of a Russian accountant involved in unveiling the massive financial frauds.

Red Notice

Excellent book about Russian Oligarchy, Putin and the Magnitsky Act; the Bi-Partisan act that was created after the murder of a Russian accountant involved in unveiling the massive financial frauds.

Did you listen to the episode of stay tuned with Browder?

Back