War Room book thread

I've read through parts of that one. I usually go the the index and look for specific people to read about. I recently bought The Essential Russell Kirk for five dollars. There is a good essay on Orestes Brownson I have read more than once.

41HD9EFXNXL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Cool. Currently on these:

51D8st2FwQL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51o9uSnv%2BZL._SY445_QL70_.jpg

Just started “Grant” by Ron Charnow. Really enjoyed his “Washington: A Life.”

Shit's crazy right?
Yeah, I started dating a teacher and we had an interesting discussion about how a privileged background can make you feel more entitled to (or at least more confident of handling) positions of power and responsibility than someone from a more humble background. We also talked about how skills like coding are going to be middle class jobs in the future and are now entering the elementary curriculum, and compared that to how the elite schools typically focus on writing rather than something vocational, further emphasizing their class differences and expectations.

9781472942241.jpg

Just started it tonight and it's not helping my insomnia at all. So far it's a sort of self destrucive pathology or an ode to masochism. Fascinating and spooky in equal measures.

Yeah, I started dating a teacher and we had an interesting discussion about how a privileged background can make you feel more entitled to (or at least more confident of handling) positions of power and responsibility than someone from a more humble background. We also talked about how skills like coding are going to be middle class jobs in the future and are now entering the elementary curriculum, and compared that to how the elite schools typically focus on writing rather than something vocational, further emphasizing their class differences and expectations.

I recently started sending my kid to prep school (for pre-k) and in just a handful of weeks, the differences in how they do things and the expectations that they create are very clear. It's not a boarding school so it doesn't have those elements. Instead the school requires and, more importantly, funds a ton of things designed to cement the relationships between the kids, the parents and the alumni.

The pipeline from elementary school to positions of power and responsibility is so clearly designed and nurtured that it almost feels organic, which seems contradictory on the surface. So intentional/curated that it feels natural, lol.

I feel like someone has just shown me the inner workings of a complex machine.

I thought it might be interesting for members to talk about the WR related books they are reading or have read.

Currently about half way done with Fire and Fury. It's pretty shocking, but it helps put some of the actions of the presidency in perspective. When you realize that Trump never really wanted to be president, some of the campaign trail shenanigans suddenly make a lot of sense. Refusing to release taxes or divest business interests before the election? Makes sense if he didn't really plan on winning anyway. The whole election is like "The Producers" where Trump was surrounded by a lot of opportunistic people who wouldn't have gotten roles on legitimate campaigns. Their plan was to have a good showing and then become talking heads on conservative media outlets, but they ended up winning and being utterly unprepared to actually run the government.
Also interesting is the power struggle between Priebus, Bannon, and Kushner for influence over the president. Each of them developed their own strategies to deal with the president and one another. Priebus is a whipping boy, but he takes advantage of the president's lack of interest in policy to get him to sign anything put on his desk. Bannon was both a true believer and an opportunist that latched onto anyone with money, but also had a keen understanding of how effective his brand of cynicism is at riling both supporters and opposition. Kushner has delusions of granduer, is often naive and over his head about politics, but is also surprisingly tenacious.

I don't normally read political books, but it has been a fascinating, if not frightful read so far. Looking forward to the second half.

This is a great thread, although as far as I'm concerned I will likely never read another book on politics after having read The Prince, certainly not anything on current events or even the last century. That book gives you pretty much everything you need to know about core principles of state politics, everything else is just specific applications.

Politics as a topic is depressing enough as part of my daily life, I can't see myself inviting more of it in through books, but for the sake of adding to this thread, and in keeping with the times, I'll throw War Nerd Dispatches into the hat, it's less a book in the traditional sense and more a compilation of his articles from the past ten years or so, well worth a read for anyone who actually cares about non-partisan, deeply educated view of the wars current and past.

Edit: Shit, I almost forgot - anything by Hunter S. Thompson related to politics. Definitely not works of academic pedigree but very insightful, incisive and plain fun to read. He'd have a field day with the current cast of pigs.

the treasure chest i just opened was booby trapped so i have to start all over

I recently started sending my kid to prep school (for pre-k) and in just a handful of weeks, the differences in how they do things and the expectations that they create are very clear. It's not a boarding school so it doesn't have those elements. Instead the school requires and, more importantly, funds a ton of things designed to cement the relationships between the kids, the parents and the alumni.

The pipeline from elementary school to positions of power and responsibility is so clearly designed and nurtured that it almost feels organic, which seems contradictory on the surface. So intentional/curated that it feels natural, lol.

I feel like someone has just shown me the inner workings of a complex machine.
I forgot who said it (Dan Carlin or David Wong, maybe?), but a podcast I listened to talked about how people are generally only familiar with the social classes directly adjacent to theirs. It's amazing to see that there are much more layers in social class in America than you'd initially think. Reading about the lives of people who are stuck in generational poverty or privileged is eye opening.

Do you feel a dilemma about inserting your child into that culture at possibly the expense of his future sense of individuality or identity, or isolating him from your and your wife's cultures?

A lot of great suggestions in this thread. Makes me pine for the days when I actually had the time and headspace to read a book.

51KB10ZN1ML._AC_UL320_SR206,320_.jpg

The above book was so on target and so well researched, the author didn't get whacked. It amazes me he was a 25 year old grad student when he researched and wrote this book. Even Sy Hersch had to do a double take.

I forgot who said it (Dan Carlin or David Wong, maybe?), but a podcast I listened to talked about how people are generally only familiar with the social classes directly adjacent to theirs. It's amazing to see that there are much more layers in social class in America than you'd initially think. Reading about the lives of people who are stuck in generational poverty or privileged is eye opening.

Do you feel a dilemma about inserting your child into that culture at possibly the expense of his future sense of individuality or identity, or isolating him from your and your wife's cultures?

Short answer? Yes.

Long answer: I did a ton of research on prep schools, the educational outcomes and the social impacts. Probably the first thing I did with every school we applied to was to find an African-American father with a male child and grill him on his experiences as a parent. His perceptions of the changes the institution made in his child and how he felt about those changes. I asked the sort of questions that are often extremely uncomfortable to discuss with people who aren't raising minority children in a majority White environment.

The research on the negative effects of feeling like an outsider in what should be your place of comfort is well documented. So for minority children, it is essential that the school have a critical mass of similar children. This allows the children to develop a social group through which to explore and discuss the class and racial divisions that often underlie the history of such institutions.

In many ways, black kids are better off than poor white kids or other ethnicities in these environments. The poor white kids are excluded in terms of wealth from the wealthy white kids who form the historical spine of the school but they're not often in a place to grasp that class distinction clearly. The kids of other ethnicities are still on the outside, like the poor white kids, but they lack the numbers to find a cohesive social group within which to explore why they're outsiders. The black students are often sufficient in numbers to have a social group and are together across class lines (unlike the white student body) that they can work through these issues in a safe environment.

I have a 10 page paper written about some school in Pennsylvania that breaks it down in great depth.

Understanding those elements made it easier for me to make the decision (my wife made her decisions quickly and independent of mine). Once I could identify a sufficient mass of minority students within an institution then I could explore if that mass was socially preparing their children for what was to come. The institution that we ended up at was such a place. The black fathers had organized their own separate meeting group to work through issues of class and race. Father involvement being extremely important to me. And the school had a sufficient body of minority students that my child would have a safe place from which to learn how to mesh into the larger social environment.

I don't worry about the early years but once kids pass into puberty and competition for limited resources (such as girls) starts to appear, we'll see if I'm right or wrong about this.

I could write at length about how the networking dynamic of such places is significantly different for the atypical students at such places. Atypical meaning not wealthy, not generational, not white.

But as one extremely successful black alumni told me (8 figures successful) - I went there and then I went to an Ivy Laague university. The things that I learned at the prep school and the university are what prepared me to be successful now. I might not be as attached to the school as some of my White classmates post-graduation but I wouldn't be here without the school either.

So, I pulled the trigger and I'll give it a run.

Academically, it's more wait and see if they live up to the academic reputation.

Nothing non-fiction over the past couple of weeks, but still explicitly political. Just my regular Scifi kicks.

c3kw-square-1536.jpg

c9zf-square-orig.jpg

9e40dd8e103a6a5f8dd15c3e5b1cbf01

911W0t-0-XL.jpg

91DEZhnTlDL.jpg
br68-square-orig.jpg

New York 2140 draws a parallel between big finance (in particular the bail outs) and inaction on climate change in a New York which has become a "New Venice". Advocating a populist revolt.

Elysium Fire is the second book in the series, set in the same universe as most of Reynold's books. Deals with authoritarian technocracy and it's potential for subversion.

The Collapsing Empire is about a human empire which has been established by a barely understood process of faster than light travel. Which is about to stop working. Deals with the political and social responses in a slightly heavy handed parallel with Global Warming.

Dark State and Empire Games are the latest installments in a series which started off as a multiverse fantasy, but which has returned to Scifi (apparently Stross had an exlusive publishing deal for his scifi books, but the publisher was dragging their heels, so he had to dress up his scifi as another genre). Alternative history/future where America is nuked after 911 and goes full technocratic totalitarian surveillance state. Also deals with another timeline where the enlightenment failed to take hold, and which is trying to industrialise as fast as possible to fend off a potential attack by America.

Luna Wold Moon is the second book in the Luna series by McDonald. It's essentially The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress crossed with a scifi Game of Thrones. The moon has been colonised by corporate clans of various ethnic families, there's no other real authority, and market forces are the dominant organising principle. Reading this one at the moment. I started a long time ago, but put it down for some time. The most interesting part for me was the world building, but in the second book there's not much more of that happening. The story arcs in this book are a couple of "coming of age" tales (on opposite sides of clan divides) and a redemption story. Not my favourite Ian McDonald novel.

Short answer? Yes.

Long answer: I did a ton of research on prep schools, the educational outcomes and the social impacts. Probably the first thing I did with every school we applied to was to find an African-American father with a male child and grill him on his experiences as a parent. His perceptions of the changes the institution made in his child and how he felt about those changes. I asked the sort of questions that are often extremely uncomfortable to discuss with people who aren't raising minority children in a majority White environment.

The research on the negative effects of feeling like an outsider in what should be your place of comfort is well documented. So for minority children, it is essential that the school have a critical mass of similar children. This allows the children to develop a social group through which to explore and discuss the class and racial divisions that often underlie the history of such institutions.

In many ways, black kids are better off than poor white kids or other ethnicities in these environments. The poor white kids are excluded in terms of wealth from the wealthy white kids who form the historical spine of the school but they're not often in a place to grasp that class distinction clearly. The kids of other ethnicities are still on the outside, like the poor white kids, but they lack the numbers to find a cohesive social group within which to explore why they're outsiders. The black students are often sufficient in numbers to have a social group and are together across class lines (unlike the white student body) that they can work through these issues in a safe environment.

I have a 10 page paper written about some school in Pennsylvania that breaks it down in great depth.

Understanding those elements made it easier for me to make the decision (my wife made her decisions quickly and independent of mine). Once I could identify a sufficient mass of minority students within an institution then I could explore if that mass was socially preparing their children for what was to come. The institution that we ended up at was such a place. The black fathers had organized their own separate meeting group to work through issues of class and race. Father involvement being extremely important to me. And the school had a sufficient body of minority students that my child would have a safe place from which to learn how to mesh into the larger social environment.

I don't worry about the early years but once kids pass into puberty and competition for limited resources (such as girls) starts to appear, we'll see if I'm right or wrong about this.

I could write at length about how the networking dynamic of such places is significantly different for the atypical students at such places. Atypical meaning not wealthy, not generational, not white.

But as one extremely successful black alumni told me (8 figures successful) - I went there and then I went to an Ivy Laague university. The things that I learned at the prep school and the university are what prepared me to be successful now. I might not be as attached to the school as some of my White classmates post-graduation but I wouldn't be here without the school either.

So, I pulled the trigger and I'll give it a run.

Academically, it's more wait and see if they live up to the academic reputation.
Awesome answer, the kind that is unfortunately rare around here.
If you get a chance, I'd love to see that paper on the PA schools. You can PM me if you like.

Back