Social War Room Lounge 318: Propaganda Extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.
I consulted the AI art machine, and made a sherdog mod

output-1882191591-0.jpg
Does this mean @Strychnine is Kimbo's brother in real life?

Well, I think he could have campaigned better for sure. But overall, his run of Florida, he's sharp and educated. He just didnt have the charisma compared to Trump.... who does?
Probably Vivek is the only one that came close to it.

Moved to the lounge, off topic,

Ok, so now that we've established each others' bona fides--i.e. we're both old as fuck--which was the better film to TV series adaptation, MASH or the Odd Couple?
I watched both of these shows growing up on reruns and only watched the movies long after. MASH as a show was one of the best and longest running so I think they eclipsed the movie.

I love Tony Randall and Jack Klugman and thought they had great chemistry on the show but for me the movie by Simon with Lemmon and Mathau was probably the best work of one of the best screenwriters and movie comedy duos of all time.

Damn that’s a tough one. Mash was highly successful but I have to go with odd couple. The chemistry between Randall and Klugman was gold and the writing was brilliant.

Mash. I actually liked the series more than the film. The Odd Couple? No way. Tv show was fine but not matching Lemon or Matthau
Trick question. You both got it wrong IMHO. MASH, with its ensemble cast, and Odd Couple with the intimate dynamic, were so distinct they were both awesome and you can't compare. :D

I mean, translating Hot Lips Hoolihan to TV without the censors stepping in... Trapper John for that matter, fucking brilliant, while Odd Couple captured the new normal of the day, the liberalization of divorce.

Having said that, in an effort to be objective, MASH lasted longer, took on dramatic stories as well as humorous ones, while on the other hand Klugman and Randall had glorious careers both before and after.

Speaking of Klugman, this was one of the great TV shows that no one ever talks about IMHO,

I might have been even worse. Did you see him on PBD podcast when PBD tried to gift him some shoes? I saw the a brief moment of terror in the back of RDS's eyes.
Yes, I watched that one. bet-david was just trying to razz him on it a bit, but ron's awkwardness backfired the whole exchange. Like you stated, he look legit insecure about it

Well, I think he could have campaigned better for sure. But overall, his run of Florida, he's sharp and educated. He just didnt have the charisma compared to Trump.... who does?
I don't think he really had a chance outside the base. He's pretty obviously guided by religion and he wasn't shy about being authoritarian in implementing those policies.

I don't think he really had a chance outside the base. He's pretty obviously guided by religion and he wasn't shy about being authoritarian in implementing those policies.
Perhaps. Biden would have a tough go with anyone atm, but Desantis could have turned it around potentially imo.

I watched both of these shows growing up on reruns and only watched the movies long after. MASH as a show was one of the best and longest running so I think they eclipsed the movie.

I love Tony Randall and Jack Klugman and thought they had great chemistry on the show but for me the movie by Simon with Lemmon and Mathau was probably the best work of one of the best screenwriters and movie comedy duos of all time.
Well said imo

Trick question. You both got it wrong IMHO. MASH, with its ensemble cast, and Odd Couple with the intimate dynamic, were so distinct they were both awesome and you can't compare. :D

I mean, translating Hot Lips Hoolihan to TV without the censors stepping in... Trapper John for that matter, fucking brilliant, while Odd Couple captured the new normal of the day, the liberalization of divorce.

Having said that, in an effort to be objective, MASH lasted longer, took on dramatic stories as well as humorous ones, while on the other hand Klugman and Randall had glorious careers both before and after.

Speaking of Klugman, this was one of the great TV shows that no one ever talks about IMHO,

<mma4>
Nice analysis, hombre.

So in an effort to be objective.... you are going with Mash? You sound like Jean-Pierre answering questoins ;). Quincy was a good show from the few episodes I saw. Dont remember it enough now.

So in an effort to be objective.... you are going with Mash? You sound like Jean-Pierre answering questoins ;). Quincy was a good show from the few episodes I saw. Dont remember it enough now.
I think it was good shit in the long run, which is great if you like long runny shit.

j/k #impossibletoresist

But seriously, in the end, yes, I'm the one who is wishy washy AF lol. It's sort of an apples to oranges comparison, but on the bare bones case of which was the more successful TV series in relation to the success of both films taken together--i.e. which series was more "worthwhile" to make, MASH clearly takes the win.

In the end, the Odd Couple premise of two no longer quite so recently divorced guys who have clashing personalities only has so much mileage no matter how heart-swelling my feelings for the co-stars. MASH, on the other hand, dealt with contemporary issues as well as the lasting effects of earlier trauma, while effectively ensuring great humor was present throughout. Remember Ho Jon? The Odd Couple had no fucking Ho John. Nor a Spearchucker Jones, for that matter.

Just my two cents. And this is despite the common belief the shift to more drama than comedy once Alda assumed complete and total control of the program after Larry Gelbart stepped away was a net negative.* I don't agree. I believe I've seen every episode from all 11 seasons multiple times. I can't say that for Odd Couple--it didn't seem to go into reruns in the way MASH did either. Once MASH went off the air, there were TV stations playing every episode in order each weekday and started over when they got to the end, more than once.

*Edit: Per wiki,
"As the series progressed, it made a significant shift from being primarily a comedy with dramatic undertones to a drama with comedic overtones. This was a result of changes in writing and production staff. Series co-creator and comedy writer Larry Gelbart departed after Season 4. Executive Producer Gene Reynolds departed at the conclusion of Season 5 in 1977, resulting in M*A*S*H being almost fully stripped of its original comedic foundation by the beginning of Season 6.[1]"

I think it was good shit in the long run, which is great if you like long runny shit.

j/k #impossibletoresist

But seriously, in the end, yes, I'm the one who is wishy washy AF lol. It's sort of an apples to oranges comparison, but on the bare bones case of which was the more successful TV series in relation to the success of both films taken together--i.e. which series was more "worthwhile" to make, MASH clearly takes the win.

In the end, the Odd Couple premise of two no longer quite so recently divorced guys who have clashing personalities only has so much mileage no matter how heart-swelling my feelings for the co-stars. MASH, on the other hand, dealt with contemporary issues as well as the lasting effects of earlier trauma, while effectively ensuring great humor was present throughout. Remember Ho Jon? The Odd Couple had no fucking Ho John. Nor a Spearchucker Jones, for that matter.

Just my two cents. And this is despite the common belief the shift to more drama than comedy once Alda assumed complete and total control of the program after Larry Gelbart stepped away was a net negative.* I don't agree. I believe I've seen every episode from all 11 seasons multiple times. I can't say that for Odd Couple--it didn't seem to go into reruns in the way MASH did either. Once MASH went off the air, there were TV stations playing every episode in order each weekday and started over when they got to the end, more than once.

*Edit: Per wiki,
"As the series progressed, it made a significant shift from being primarily a comedy with dramatic undertones to a drama with comedic overtones. This was a result of changes in writing and production staff. Series co-creator and comedy writer Larry Gelbart departed after Season 4. Executive Producer Gene Reynolds departed at the conclusion of Season 5 in 1977, resulting in M*A*S*H being almost fully stripped of its original comedic foundation by the beginning of Season 6.[1]"
Agreed totally here. Mash was better in the series because of the material and drawing many different actors and story lines from a historical context. Also right... Odd Couple will have a shorter lifespan given the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back