War Room Lounge v7: Lead is a Totalitarian Monster Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
My peanut butter empire grows stronger day by day

I can't do like, anything, Bob Dylan

Senor

@Rod1

My favorite Dylan song loosely about the Mexican-American war. Can't find the original/better version on YouTube due to copyright, but this is a decent cover.

Also, an even great all-time fav about Cortez's conquest of Mexico

Senor

@Rod1

Can't find the original/better version on YouTube due to copyright, but this is a decent cover.

I'll try to give it a listen but I don't know what it is by Bob Dylan in general I just don't, care for the guy and I have no good reason for why.

It's like, I grew up listening to the likes of Johnny Cash, and Charley Pride in that genre and a guy like Garth Brooks I'm kinda like "meh" about. As to old school American Rock I'd be more likely to be listening to Springsteen or this guy:

IDK what it is but something about Dylan feels like he's "folksy" for the sake of being "folksy" and he thinks that would sell more albums at the time he came to prominence.

I know it's weird I'm not a Dylan fan given his song writing is real similar to guys like Guthrie and Hank Williams Sr both of whom I enjoy listening to.

As far as Dylan covers (no doubt Jimi's Watchtower is the best), the one I really want to see get an update is "It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry."

A lot of people have tried but nobody has knocked it out of the park.

I like the original. That's his best album, IMO. Really like the track after that one, too.

I'd like to see an update of Jokerman. That one would be good in a modern style.

I used to have a theory/observation that good Beetles covers were hard to come by, but the Stones wrote songs that made it easy for bands to rock them out. There's this though.

And the obligatory...

For the Metalheads, here's the GOAT Venom cover. No greater pioneers of underground Metal than Venom.

Speaking of the Stones. Here's two very different versions of Gimme Shelter. First one is Gothic, second is Hardcore. I think the Sisters did an outstanding job.

Alright last one. Almost forgot this AMAZING Dylan cover.

Compared to...

I lied. :oops:

Bruce had a bigger hit with the song, but I'm not sure it's better. But love me some Tom Waits and I just like Bruce. And fwiw, the wife just loved Bruce's version, but then Tom's had her tearing up.

{<redford}

@Gutter Chris

Smokey Robinson is a legend, so great, but it’s a testament to The English Beat that I also enjoy their version

I got this app on my phone that can identify all aircraft in the sky. It will show the plane, what type it is, like Boeing or Airbus. Where it is coming from and going. It's interesting. A lot of Fed ex fuckin planes in the sky. UPS too but Fed ex seems to have more. I find the routes interesting too. Like some routes don't seem the fastest way but there must be a reason for that. North Korea was the only country I didn't see a plane over. I looked up the airport and they have one route. To china and back to North Korea. That is it. lol.

Now that's got me thinking that is just something else Amazon can take over. Shipping and commercial flight. I don't know what their deal with UPS and Fed Ex is but there are rumors that Amazon is thinking about buying the 3rd biggest shipping company in the US. Which I don't the name of. Anyway, I can see in the future all these fed ex and ups plans in the sky being Amazon planes. And commercial flight too. They will have a fleet for both.

@Gutter Chris

Smokey Robinson is a legend, so great, but it’s a testament to The English Beat that I also enjoy their version

I love Smokey Robinson. Two of his biggest hits are about hiding tears. The tracks of my tears. Probably my favorite song by him. If you look close enough you will see the tracks of my tears. And that cover is actually good. I was skeptical.

“Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.”

Alan Moore, Watchmen

Who watches the watchmen and who amuses the clowns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back