Was Volkanovski Ever Any Good????

Volk ran into a elite fighter other than Islam and promptly got put to sleep and sent to the shadow realm. Turns out hes only capable of beating journeymen or past their prime guys.
That’s rough

Unironically, his only good wins are Yair and Holloway.

He kind of wasted his career fighting Holloway over and over.

Mendes, Aldo, Korean Zombie were all past prime. Ortega is comically one dimensional, and he almost caught Volk.

Okay, he cherry picked the former champions who just so happened to be the guys at the top of the division at the time. I'm sure guys like Machida, Vitor, and Chael were squeaky clean when they fought Jon.
vitor and chael were middleweights. any division where a guy like machida who regularly comes below 205 is champion is a weak division, he would never be champion now

Unironically, his only good wins are Yair and Holloway.

He kind of wasted his career fighting Holloway over and over.

Mendes, Aldo, Korean Zombie were all past prime. Ortega is comically one dimensional, and he almost caught Volk.
aldo went on to go arguably 4 and 2 in a lighter division where speed and age matters more

mendes is a good win, just becuase he retired doesn’t mean he was bad or it doesn’t count

korean zombie was still top 5 in the division and would probably beat a few guys in the top 10 which is enough for top 5 status

ortega has only lost to max volk and yair, with the last by fluke due to a recurring shoulder injury. He’s beaten moicano Swanson edgar and tkz, all good or great wins

these wins are all better than guys like faber brown gamburyan Florian and lamas

Jon was like 23 and blowing through former champion LHWs who were in their physical primes

Shogun and Rampage the MWs lol
Shogun on his 3rd knee surgery just 10 months before he fought jones? Looked like crap against a 44 year old mark Coleman coming off a 2.5 year layoff? Looked so bad in that fight even Joe and Goldberg brought it up right after he got the win?

rampage who very arguably lost to both Rashad and machida back to back, title shot from Matt hamill, loses every round to jones, every round to bader, every round to glover?

Shut up. Volkanovski was great champion one of the best fighter ever ilia is just younger and better

No. Now is the time to shut her down boys

Can the division
prince-music.gif

Volk is one of the best FW of all time and I wanted him to win and honestly thought he still had it to beat Ilia. But truth is he looked pretty bad in there and had NOTHING for Topuria. It looked like he was going down with the first flush connection and it just happened that way.

He's one of the greatest of all time, before the first makhachev fight was undefeated for 10 years straight with 22 consecutive wins, with wins over Holloway x3, Aldo, Mendes, Yair, Ortega, one of the best and most active champions we ever had. He did himself a huge disservice when he took Makhachev on 10 days notice when clearly wasn't in shape. Everybody has weaknesses, while Volk has a lot of strengths, biggest weakness is that he tends to move back in a straight line with his chin up in the air, Touporia is not only a power puncher, he is a combination power puncher, so when he hits you, he's going to throw 3-4-5 and 6 and if he catches you with one of them, big trouble.

What else would you call it? It was always so obvious that volks height is a weakness. Just throw a body kick as average sized human being and your foot will hit his head. This is not a weakness that can be fixed.
The first fight increased Volks stock by a lot

vitor and chael were middleweights. any division where a guy like machida who regularly comes below 205 is champion is a weak division, he would never be champion now
All of a sudden the UFC's premier division of the 2000s was never that good because Jon came in and beat everyone. As for how competitive Jon's former victims would be now, I seem to recall one of them getting the belt in his 40s not so long ago.

If you want to call Vitor and Machida MWs, I suppose that's fine, but I hope you go around calling Dan Hooker and Dustin Poirier FWs while you're at it. The weight class you're known for is the one you had the most success in.

All of a sudden the UFC's premier division of the 2000s was never that good because Jon came in and beat everyone. As for how competitive Jon's former victims would be now, I seem to recall one of them getting the belt in his 40s not so long ago.

If you want to call Vitor and Machida MWs, I suppose that's fine, but I hope you go around calling Dan Hooker and Dustin Poirier FWs while you're at it. The weight class you're known for is the one you had the most success in.
I call them middleweights becuase they weighed the same as middleweights. If they were 20 pounds heavier I would call them light heavyweights

So Colby's a LW then?
Colby weighs 181 pounds. He would be the biggest lightweight. While someone like usman weighs 186-187. Is 5 or 6 pounds a big enough gap for it to be significant for you? It’s not for me

Colby weighs 181 pounds. He would be the biggest lightweight. While someone like usman weighs 186-187. Is 5 or 6 pounds a big enough gap for it to be significant for you? It’s not for me
Yes, 5-6 pounds is significant. Are you saying that Usman didn't have a noticeable size advantage over Colby

So Colby's a natural MW now? I mean, his natural weight is closer to 185 than 170. You keep changing criteria. I mean, Vitor fought at HW at one time.

Regardless of what's natural or what's unnatural, the idea that a fighter doesn't "belong" in the division they had the most success in is a little silly to me. Jon faced Machida and Vitor in just that place. Hell, he faced Vitor when Vitor was in mythical fighter phase.

Yes, 5-6 pounds is significant. Are you saying that Usman didn't have a noticeable size advantage over Colby

So Colby's a natural MW now? I mean, his natural weight is closer to 185 than 170. You keep changing criteria. I mean, Vitor fought at HW at one time.

Regardless of what's natural or what's unnatural, the idea that a fighter doesn't "belong" in the division they had the most success in is a little silly to me. Jon faced Machida and Vitor in just that place. Hell, he faced Vitor when Vitor was in mythical fighter phase.
The % increase from 181 to 186 is 2.76%.

The % increase from 204 to 224 is 9.8%.

vitor Belfort had not fought at light heavyweight in 5 years, exactly 5 years when he fought jones on short notice

machida weighed in at 201 against bader immediately after the jones fight and 202 against henderson the fight after that

I said they don’t belong because NOW they wouldn’t belong, the smallest light heavyweight now is jiri who is like 215, that’s still atleast 10 pounds more than machida

The % increase from 181 to 186 is 2.76%.

The % increase from 204 to 224 is 9.8%.

vitor Belfort had not fought at light heavyweight in 5 years, exactly 5 years when he fought jones on short notice

machida weighed in at 201 against bader immediately after the jones fight and 202 against henderson the fight after that

I said they don’t belong because NOW they wouldn’t belong, the smallest light heavyweight now is jiri who is like 215, that’s still atleast 10 pounds more than machida
I'll pretend I didn't just hear you say that prime Machida and TRT Vitor couldn't have success at LHW in 2023

Back