Was Your Thread Deleted, Moved or Merged? Ask about it here

Status
Not open for further replies.
@BAM , you closed my support thread on a rule clarification, but the question remains unresolved. @Madmick cited a War Room rule saying that we arent allowed make threads about historical events. But I cant find that rule written out anywhere. Can someone please clarify the rule? What is the cutoff date? Should threads on historical topics be made in the OT?
mods have discretion as to merges and what makes the forum flow, clutter, etc. What he did was give you his reasoning for exercising that discretion, not a forum rule. Well within his role.

And also I was seeking a clarification on when a thread is different enough to warrant its own thread.
For example, the aforementioned thread about Trump winning an award in 1986 made no mention of Charlottesville, but was merged into Madmick's megathread.

However, shortly after @Madmick himself created this thead

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/a...ottesville-concerning-antifa-funding.3598869/

Which is simply about Alex Jones' thoughts on Charlottesville. So we need clarification on the rules, because I cant see why Madmick's 2 Charlottesville threads are different enough to warrant their own topics, but the other threads Madmick merged into his own arent.
this will always be decided on a case by case basis, on the circumstances, on the day when a mod exercises discretion as to when a topic can stand on its own and when it needs to be merged. Taking into consideration - traffic, variety, organisation, indexing, etc.

As Madmick has been given this authority by the site, it is well within his role to decide on a case by case basis, without consultation with posters.

Understood. Thanks for the response.

@Madmick, can you clarify your reasoning on the above for us? As I and other people have been having threads merged a lot lately, it seems some of us are clearly out of synch on the forum guidelines now. Why did Trump's diversity award get merged into the Charlottesville megathread, but your own two threads on Charlottesville not get merged? As in what quality did your threads possess that made them distinct enough in your eyes? It would be nice to know so that we can craft our threads more carefully in the future.

And also, could you clarify why you took offensene to the thread not being current? Is merging/dumping threads on historical events something that you will do regularly from now on, or was there something special about this case?

Wondering why my post was deleted. I brought it to @Madmick's attention that there were two Alex Jones bashing threads that are similar on the main page of the War Room. He has clearly set a precedent in that forum due to all the merging that happens to "Right wing" thread starters.

Your post in the thread Alex Jones falsely accuses Clinton and Soros of staging Charlottesville: concerning #antifa funding was deleted. Reason: Read the rules. Not the appropriate venue to Play the Mod

Why the hypocrisy regarding all the merging in that forum? It is really disrupting the flow of the forum. How is bringing something to the attention of a mod "trying to play the mod"?

@Peteyandjia @BAM

Wondering why my post was deleted. I brought it to @Madmick's attention that there were two Alex Jones bashing threads that are similar on the main page of the War Room. He has clearly set a precedent in that forum due to all the merging that happens to "Right wing" thread starters.

Your post in the thread Alex Jones falsely accuses Clinton and Soros of staging Charlottesville: concerning #antifa funding was deleted. Reason: Read the rules. Not the appropriate venue to Play the Mod

Why the hypocrisy regarding all the merging in that forum? It is really disrupting the flow of the forum. How is bringing something to the attention of a mod "trying to play the mod"?

@Peteyandjia @BAM
The link you provided doesn't work.

Based on the description of your post and Madmick's response, it was likely deleted because it wasn't relevant to the thread itself and was rather a moderation suggestion or a complaint. Those posts are subject to deletion.

the appropriate manner to bring to the attention of moderation staff threads you think should be merged is the 'report post' function. A complaint can be addressed to admin staff via the PM function.

the rest of your post is a complaint and this is not a thread for complaints.

Last edited:
The link you provided doesn't work.

Based on the description of your post and Madmick's response, it was likely deleted because it wasn't relevant to the thread itself and was rather a moderation suggestion or a complaint. Those posts are subject to deletion.

the appropriate manner to bring to the attention of moderation staff threads you think should be merged is the 'report post' function. A complaint can be addressed to admin staff via the PM function.

the rest of your post is a complaint and this is not a thread for complaints.

That's a nice way of telling me to kick rocks lol.

How is bringing something to the direct attention of a mod any different than using the report function lol?

Here is was my original post before it was deleted:

"Hey @Madmick, just wanted to bring it to your attention that there are two Alex Jones thread on the first page. If you could go ahead and merge them that would be super helpful, thanks."

You guys clearly don't give a crap about a mod abusing his privileges so whatever.

Last edited:
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/t...illegal-kiddies-can-stay-4-eva.3600559/page-3

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/trump-phoenix-rally.3600937/

It seems no one who moderates the War Room is interested in addressing this. Here is the opposite case of the merges above. The above used to be one thread, then a mod split into two. Both are threads about Trump's speech. I would think based off the precedent in above mentioned merges, these should be one thread. But the mods seems seemed to think they were distinct enough to split. Could a mod with knowledge of this split clarify the reasoning?

Last edited:
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/t...illegal-kiddies-can-stay-4-eva.3600559/page-3

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/trump-phoenix-rally.3600937/

It seems no one who moderates the War Room is interested in addressing this. Here is the opposite case of the merges above. The above used to be one thread, then a mod split into two. Both are threads about Trump's speech. I would think based off the precedent in above mentioned merges, these should be one thread. But the mods seems seemed to think they were distinct enough to split. Could a mod with knowledge of this split clarify the reasoning?

I understand the article references that Phoenix speech but it seemed to be focusing on a specific policy they believed trump was going to do. Rip came in with a live stream of the speech and started doing a play by play. Nothing wrong with that except that not all of the speech or play by play was about that specific policy. I thought splitting would be a win win and last night, I thought there wasn't an issue. Rips thread actually started getting way more posting in it that the original thread was that seemed to die off.

If @ripskater was upset about the new thread, I apologize but I think it actually worked out okay for everyone.

I understand the article references that Phoenix speech but it seemed to be focusing on a specific policy they believed trump was going to do. Rip came in with a live stream of the speech and started doing a play by play. Nothing wrong with that except that not all of the speech or play by play was about that specific policy. I thought splitting would be a win win and last night, I thought there wasn't an issue. Rips thread actually started getting way more posting in it that the original thread was that seemed to die off.

If @ripskater was upset about the new thread, I apologize but I think it actually worked out okay for everyone.

Thanks for the reply. No one was upset to my knowledge. I was just asking because the merges/splits are all over the place in WR lately and I'm trying to get a grasp on what the logic is. Again, thanka for the explanation.

Thanks for the reply. No one was upset to my knowledge. I was just asking because the merges/splits are all over the place in WR lately and I'm trying to get a grasp on what the logic is. Again, thanka for the explanation.

We added an additional post to the guidelines about this but I can tell you merge/splits/dumps aren't close to as objective as handing out infractions for breaking the rules. A lot ends up being mod discretion so not everyone is always going to be happy. It can be difficult to make calls on but I'm glad this didn't upset anyone. I thought it was one of the easier decisions I've had to make.

I'm fine with that split.

i just want a little clarification on necrobumping/merging/burying

ive seen posters get warned by madmick for "necro"bumping an old thread, but when nostradumbass made a thread on an update to the kathy griffin "beheading trump" fiasco and it got merged into another thread that was MONTHS old and already about 750 pages long, without updating the title

luckily, @Lead changed the title to the "necro" thread in order for the new update to not be buried, but my question is, how far back do I have to go to find a thread on a similar subject to merge it? a month? 3 months? a year? where is the line between a necrobump and making a thread on the same subject?

also, if i want to start a thread on a new update to a news story, how can I avoid it being added to a dormant thread with a thread title that isnt updated? I wouldnt mind it being merged, but if there is a breaking update and the title doesnt change, i dont expect people will read through 800 posts to find the new part which may be hot discussion in a thread title

this was the thread in question
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/t...-update-griffin-rescinds-her-apology.3539933/

ive seen posters get warned by madmick for "necro"bumping an old thread, but when nostradumbass made a thread on an update to the kathy griffin "beheading trump" fiasco and it got merged into another thread that was MONTHS old and already about 750 pages long, without updating the title

luckily, @Lead changed the title to the "necro" thread in order for the new update to not be buried, but my question is, how far back do I have to go to find a thread on a similar subject to merge it? a month? 3 months? a year? where is the line between a necrobump and making a thread on the same subject?

also, if i want to start a thread on a new update to a news story, how can I avoid it being added to a dormant thread with a thread title that isnt updated? I wouldnt mind it being merged, but if there is a breaking update and the title doesnt change, i dont expect people will read through 800 posts to find the new part which may be hot discussion in a thread title

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/t...-update-griffin-rescinds-her-apology.3539933/

I added the additional op. @Madmick updated the title for you guys.

I've never seen anyone infracted for necrobumping a thread when there's actually been a new development to the story and they post the relevant information.
That's not even what's usually considered a "necro".

I've never seen anyone infracted for necrobumping a thread when there's actually been a new development to the story and they post the relevant information.

ok then how far back do i have to search for a related story to contact the OP to change the title so that a new update wont be buried 800 posts in with no indication in the title of a breaking update

ok then how far back do i have to search for a related story to contact the OP to change the title so that a new update wont be buried 800 posts in with no indication in the title of a breaking update

Oh, I don't think you have to. I'm sure if it happens the merge will be taken care of for you. As it was in this case.

You arent the one we are worried about. I've never been infracted for necroing, but I have had multiple threads dumped in the past for updating them with new info.

These are literally the same questions I've been pestering mods about for weeks. The whole process seems so random. WarRoom is a mess right now because each mod moderates wildly differently.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/w...erman-schultz-awan-it-breach-scandal.3611403/

Untitled.jpg

@Madmick

@Madmick, what game are you even talking about. You were never even mentioned in the thread. You seem mad about something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back