Watched the fight at the movie theater

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I found out this afternoon that they were doing this. It was awesome to see on the big screen for only $20. It wasn't crowded at all. Hopefully they'll do this for more ppv fights in the future.

Screenshot_20180915-235753.png

I absolutely would have done that.
What’d you do for the hour and a half of dead air?

Plus, rated R so I couldn’t take my sons....fuckers

Posted on shertard and went to my car to eat pizza. Good experience, would recommend.

If it was a theater with food and alcohol I'd do it.

I will try this ..pretty cool it's almost like a semi arena feel I would imagine plus the snacks would be readily available and it's always fun to watch with a group

My local AMC didn't show it this time, else I would have just done that. It's a good experience.

? Kids can go with adults to R rated movies, just not X/NR-17 movies.

I have seen a few fights in theaters. Each time it was just my group and maybe a few other people. I saw JMM vs Floyd at one, and it was just my 3 friends and I. We brought dollar shots, and got beers there.

? Kids can go with adults to R rated movies, just not X/NR-17 movies.

I have seen a few fights in theaters. Each time it was just my group and maybe a few other people. I saw JMM vs Floyd at one, and it was just my 3 friends and I. We brought dollar shots, and got beers there.
Really? I thought Rated-R was nobody under 18. Good to know for next time.

this needs to come back as a thing, i know back in the day movie theatres used to do this, but it tailed off a lot(read: completely)

this would be great if it became mainstream again

Great f*cking topic. I can totally relate bc after last night I've seen 11 fights at theaters and even a UFC (189).

to cottagecheesefan - JMM vs Mayweather - that's the 1st fight I saw @ theaters. Tix were $15. Then when Floyd fought Shane Mosley they bumped it up to $25 and I said no thanks (for Berto-Mayweather it was $10) - and way to beat the system BYOB!

as for Canelo-GGG-2 the theater was the back up plan for me, as I was planning to catch fight at a nearby bar - but when I arrived they weren't showing it, so having already bought a ticket to theater, I continued on and made it halfway through the first round. (this is why a back up plan comes in handy)

this needs to come back as a thing, i know back in the day movie theatres used to do this, but it tailed off a lot(read: completely)

this would be great if it became mainstream again

They've been doing it for quite some time - Marquez vs Mayweather was the first time I caught wind of it.

I think kinda hard to make mainstream just because fan interest will vary so much event to event. If it's a big name like a Mayweather or Canelo - that'll draw the crowd - for for something like Juan Diaz rematching JMM I don't think would get as many people.

Another thing to take note of is pricing. Already mentioned, but the 1st fight at a theater I went to Mayweather vs JMM it was $15. The very next fight was vs Mosley and it was $25 so I passed. Then post Mosley (vs Ortiz) it was back down to $20

both Mayweather vs Maidana fights were also at theaters, $25. And Mayweather vs Berto was $10 .... yet last years Mayweather vs McGregor was $42 (didn't go, saw at a watch party)

That said - for theaters it's important to keep in mind competition, because while it is fun to watch fights at a theater - it's not the only viewing option

They've been doing it for quite some time - Marquez vs Mayweather was the first time I caught wind of it.

I think kinda hard to make mainstream just because fan interest will vary so much event to event. If it's a big name like a Mayweather or Canelo - that'll draw the crowd - for for something like Juan Diaz rematching JMM I don't think would get as many people.

Another thing to take note of is pricing. Already mentioned, but the 1st fight at a theater I went to Mayweather vs JMM it was $15. The very next fight was vs Mosley and it was $25 so I passed. Then post Mosley (vs Ortiz) it was back down to $20

both Mayweather vs Maidana fights were also at theaters, $25. And Mayweather vs Berto was $10 .... yet last years Mayweather vs McGregor was $42 (didn't go, saw at a watch party)

That said - for theaters it's important to keep in mind competition, because while it is fun to watch fights at a theater - it's not the only viewing option

Yeah, i think over here in the UK it is a bit different as we have a completely different pricing model.

Most PPVs cost around £16, i think the Mayweather-McGreggor was £19.95, so it would need to be less than that to attract anyone(and i dont think anyone would go to the US shows(other than probably me) as it is so cheap to buy the PPV in your own home.

And a lot of UK based fights are shown in bars/pubs and they get packed out on good fight nights.

I'd still love to go to a cinema to watch a figth with like minded fight fans though, rather than drunken assholes down the boozer.

That was rough. The Goldenboy PPV had two broads doing the between fight banter, and neither one of them knew anything about boxing. At one point, the camera showed Tommy Hearns on the screen and neither girl knew who he was. One used the excuse "I need my glasses", even though she had no problem picking out all the movie stars and basketball players. Then she came back later and, I shit you not, said "Sorry to Marvin Hagler earlier, I need to put on my glasses."

They kept tripping over their words, too. Even my wife was saying they should shut their traps.

Then the fights starts and I heard Kevin Kelley commentating. My ears started bleeding.

@Dr. Shoemaker

Holy hell the caneloggg.com stream, the goldenboy one, was pretty bad. Wish I had tuned into the HBO one, but I hear the commentary on that one was interesting as well.

Wanted to do the theater option, but got a big enough group of people to make the $91 (taxes included) worth in imo. Terrific fight.

@Dr. Shoemaker

Holy hell the caneloggg.com stream, the goldenboy one, was pretty bad. Wish I had tuned into the HBO one, but I hear the commentary on that one was interesting as well.

Wanted to do the theater option, but got a big enough group of people to make the $91 (taxes included) worth in imo. Terrific fight.

It was an embarrassment. Everyone involved should rethink their future in the broadcasting industry.

harsh, but it was terrible.

I just want them to stay away from boxing,

Back