We Didn't Talk About Nick Di Paolo's firing (comedian/radio host)

Defend what exactly? He's not going to jail for it and he is not stopped from doing comedy - his employer didnt want the negative attention and future showcases may never want to do business with him. Thats the nature of any business, really.

I don't hate di Paolo, I've enjoyed his roast appearances and doing Joe's podcast, etc. and I'm not a big fan of people losing their jobs over offensive comments. That said, he is a racist asshole and I got used to racist assholes like him growing up in Boston. He should have known that type of shit could easily get him fired. So I have the same amount of sympathy for him that he would probably have for a poor minority who was down on their luck.

Is Boston really that bad? I thought it was one of the most educated cities in the country.

Is Boston really that bad? I thought it was one of the most educated cities in the country.
Boston is sort of a city of contradictions. Well educated and well off, but there's a still a big white underclass and a lot of the "luxury" housing stock is just housing designed for poor people that's been remodeled and resold to people with money. People who are politically liberal, but culturally conservative, etc.

DiPaolo is a fucking BEAST but honestly I didn't find his show that entertaining.

Really what guys like Nick and Ant need is a liberal to play off if. That's why they interact so well with Bill Burr and guys like Patrice.

It gets a little boring when they just preach, I like to hear them spar with someone with opposite views who is also funny. Tbh I don't really like Burr's podcast either.

What made O&A so great was the conflict. Having all these guys ripping each other was what made the whole thing work. When they splinter off into their own shows, they get into their comfort zones and it isn't as dynamic or exciting.

Yeah it's fucked up he got fired for a tweet, but it's not surprising. At this point I'm just waiting for Sirius to die so all these guys go to Compound and we can get some actual uncensored content out of them.

Defend what exactly? He's not going to jail for it and he is not stopped from doing comedy - his employer didnt want the negative attention and future showcases may never want to do business with him. Thats the nature of any business, really.
We know that, dude. I even made a note of it in the OP. I also don't think firing him over this was crazy out of line or anything.

What I'm suggesting is that due to the nature of comedy, comics should get cut extra slack as compared to just some guy making an insensitive comment.

DiPaolo is a fucking BEAST but honestly I didn't find his show that entertaining.

Really what guys like Nick and Ant need is a liberal to play off if. That's why they interact so well with Bill Burr and guys like Patrice.

It gets a little boring when they just preach, I like to hear them spar with someone with opposite views who is also funny. Tbh I don't really like Burr's podcast either.

What made O&A so great was the conflict. Having all these guys ripping each other was what made the whole thing work. When they splinter off into their own shows, they get into their comfort zones and it isn't as dynamic or exciting.

Yeah it's fucked up he got fired for a tweet, but it's not surprising. At this point I'm just waiting for Sirius to die so all these guys go to Compound and we can get some actual uncensored content out of them.
Compound is a dead end. Ronnie B's appearance w/Ant and that idiot racist showed us this.

Here's the Tweet that got comic Nick Di Paolo fired from his show on Sirius XM last week:

6zQCryy.png

"Dear future school shooters, please confine yourself to coll. campuses, specifically faculty lounges at Berkeley, Fresno State etc."

So this one got deleted fairly quickly, and Nick just up and disappeared from Sirius XM over last weekend. Nick is verging on openly racist and obsessed with pushing right wing politics. He's also a very talented comic whose voice is underrepresented on stage.

This was a tough one for me because that's a really fucked up thing to say, and it does border on being an actual call for violence. In the end though, it was a joke. A failed, shitty, inappropriate (even among the inappropriate) joke. I see the joke in there (faculty lounges), but you have to look pretty hard to find it. I understand how it might seem like a hateful call to violence to a lot of people.

Patrice O'Neal had a semi-famous old interview where he argued that comics should get the benefit of the doubt. Funny and unfunny come from the same place, he said. And it's the audience who lets you know if it succeeded. We should defend the attempt to be funny. Which, in Nick's case, would mean that we fuck him up for making a shit joke that was both unfunny and over the top offensive, which is the worst way to fail- but we don't ostracize him.

We don't need to waste any time on the "they can hire/fire who they want" stuff. We know that. We all know that. Should we defend Di Paolo's attempt at the joke, or should we punish him up for it, or do you disagree that it even qualifies as a joke?
I think you'd have to equate it to the Kathy Griffin "beheading", which is to say, the philosophy should be the same, phucked up, but if you don't try a "joke" you don't know if it will succeed or not. There's bound to be the odd epic fail here and there if you're trying in the least to be edgy.

It's a really fucked up joke to make. I don't support people being fired for shit like this, but I have no sympathy for him either. Just like when Gilbert Gottfried got shitcanned for his dumb tsunami jokes. They aren't actually funny, they're just for shock value. Well congrats, you shocked people, and now they want you fired.
Did you react the same way to Kathy Griffin's stunt?

Not gonna miss his show. It was god awful. Never laughed once anytime I listened to it. Just him ranting.

Di Paolo is not funny. Sirius was probably looking for an opportunity to let him go and they did it at the first opportunity.

We know that, dude. I even made a note of it in the OP. I also don't think firing him over this was crazy out of line or anything.

What I'm suggesting is that due to the nature of comedy, comics should get cut extra slack as compared to just some guy making an insensitive comment.

They do, but eventually they pull on the rope so hard the slack gives out -- comedians know they can't go full out on every venue they do their shtick with. Had he done it at the laugh factory is different than on air.

They don't get tabula rasa every time they try to go edge lord. Again not sure what you are suggesting people may defend -- he's free to do his comedy, but not everyone is going to want that sort of content associated with their product

I'm a fan of his but I guess I just don't see where the joke is here. I can't figure out what the funny part is and why it works. Seems like a snippet of a rant posted online and called a joke.

I'm a fan of his but I guess I just don't see where the joke is here. I can't figure out what the funny part is and why it works. Seems like a snippet of a rant posted online and called a joke.
The joke is that faculty rather than students deserve to be shot. Before you say it, yes lol, that is not a good joke. You could put the right twist on that and have it come off like a joke. Still a shitty joke, but it would be more recognizable as a joke (this is probably why Nick says it was poorly worded).

You could talk about how "this coward was stalking the halls, killing innocent kids, one classroom to the next...AND HE WALKED RIGHT PAST THE FACULTY LOUNGE!! Seriously dude, you were RIGHT THERE!" I could laugh at something like that if it was phrased/delivered well.

Did you react the same way to Kathy Griffin's stunt?

Pretty much. She got a bunch of publicity - actually she got 3 days worth of headlines the stunt itself, then the phony apology, then rescinding the apology - but it cost her some gig which I can't even remember what it was now. Hosting some special or something. Just like this goof she was playing with fire and she got burned. When you're just trying to shock, don't be surprised when your employer doesn't want to be associated with you anymore after public outcry.

Nick is verging on openly racist and obsessed with pushing right wing politics. He's also a very talented comic whose voice is underrepresented on stage.

This was a tough one for me because that's a really fucked up thing to say, and it does border on being an actual call for violence. In the end though, it was a joke. A failed, shitty, inappropriate (even among the inappropriate) joke. I see the joke in there (faculty lounges), but you have to look pretty hard to find it. I understand how it might seem like a hateful call to violence to a lot of people.

Patrice O'Neal had a semi-famous old interview where he argued that comics should get the benefit of the doubt. Funny and unfunny come from the same place, he said. And it's the audience who lets you know if it succeeded. We should defend the attempt to be funny. Which, in Nick's case, would mean that we fuck him up for making a shit joke that was both unfunny and over the top offensive, which is the worst way to fail- but we don't ostracize him.

We don't need to waste any time on the "they can hire/fire who they want" stuff. We know that. We all know that. Should we defend Di Paolo's attempt at the joke, or should we punish him up for it, or do you disagree that it even qualifies as a joke?
It's so despicable to make accusations like that without even bothering to reference anything. Are you fucking kidding me? I've seen you post and I know you're not this way. Please correct this, thank you.

Just off the top, he's huge buddies with Bill Burr. If you know Bill Burr, I would find that accusation extremely hard to believe. Especially with zero evidence.

Compound is a dead end. Ronnie B's appearance w/Ant and that idiot racist showed us this.

One hour of content out of thousands. There have been tons of great moments on compound. That guys issue wasn't his racism imo it was that he didn't have any response to Ron's jabs other than 'yeah, well I'll kick your ass.'

I can see why that would be a really sore spot for you given your politics but it really wasn't that big a deal. That shit happens sometimes. Jim and Sam just had an incident like that with Landau and Brennan

It wasn't a call to violence.

In these times of utter insanity, it was a jab at the root of the problem, the indoctrination facilities we call colleges

How many of the shooters went to college?

Who else thinks that Michelle Wolf went too far at the Correspondents' Dinner? Some comedy goes too far. It also depends on the venue.

I passionately dislike the "it's just a joke!!!" attitude. It's such a cheap way to avoid any personal responsibility for your comments.
Did'nt Colbert do that at some university speech? I was just in character!

It's so despicable to make accusations like that without even bothering to reference anything. Are you fucking kidding me? I've seen you post and I know you're not this way. Please correct this, thank you.

Just off the top, he's huge buddies with Bill Burr. If you know Bill Burr, I would find that accusation extremely hard to believe. Especially with zero evidence.
You're fucking kidding, right? LOL.

Man, you can't seem to get out of your adorable little "gotcha" wannabe intellectual rut. Ply your trade on somebody else until you level up.

Nick is obsessed with the downfall of the white man. That and evil liberals is almost all he ever talks about. Every day. Your instructions are to go notice that.

Back