We Didn't Talk About Nick Di Paolo's firing (comedian/radio host)

Hey, fuck off with that. You came in like I owed you something. The grownups who are talking itt are familiar enough with Nick Di Paolo that they don't take melodramatic offense at saying that he's almost openly racist. If you wouldn't have been such a limp prick, and asked like a person without an ax to grind, I would have responded differently. This crap is most of what you do in the WR, by the way. It's noticeable. It's not good. Again, go run your silly game on somebody else. I'm not interested.
You made an accusation and didn't include any justification. I've seen you in many threads take the same position. You don't get to pick and choose when to apply principles. This is the actual grownup perspective.

Did'nt Colbert do that at some university speech? I was just in character!
No idea. Difference between being in character and just telling a joke, but it can still be a flimsy defense.

Here's the Tweet that got comic Nick Di Paolo fired from his show on Sirius XM last week:

6zQCryy.png

"Dear future school shooters, please confine yourself to coll. campuses, specifically faculty lounges at Berkeley, Fresno State etc."

So this one got deleted fairly quickly, and Nick just up and disappeared from Sirius XM over last weekend. Nick is verging on openly racist and obsessed with pushing right wing politics. He's also a very talented comic whose voice is underrepresented on stage.

This was a tough one for me because that's a really fucked up thing to say, and it does border on being an actual call for violence. In the end though, it was a joke. A failed, shitty, inappropriate (even among the inappropriate) joke. I see the joke in there (faculty lounges), but you have to look pretty hard to find it. I understand how it might seem like a hateful call to violence to a lot of people.

Patrice O'Neal had a semi-famous old interview where he argued that comics should get the benefit of the doubt. Funny and unfunny come from the same place, he said. And it's the audience who lets you know if it succeeded. We should defend the attempt to be funny. Which, in Nick's case, would mean that we fuck him up for making a shit joke that was both unfunny and over the top offensive, which is the worst way to fail- but we don't ostracize him.

We don't need to waste any time on the "they can hire/fire who they want" stuff. We know that. We all know that. Should we defend Di Paolo's attempt at the joke, or should we punish him up for it, or do you disagree that it even qualifies as a joke?
Yah, I disagree.
It stretches the definition of the word and boggles the mind that he could be so stupid.
Also, I think it's insulting to comedy for him to hide behind humor

Comedians love it when random people give them bro-tips on how to be more funny.
But I'm right. Imagine it in Nick Di Paolo's voice, compared to his tweet. You can't deny that. I'm not giving "bro-tips," I'm making a point. If I was giving tips, I would have sent that to the comic. He doesn't need tips. He knows a whole lot more than I do. He could teach me hundreds of things I don't know.

Are you done being a reactionary twat yet?

i abandon him for his reaction

“Hey Guys, Yes it’s true, @SIRIUSXM fired me for a poorly worded tweet, that warranted suspension at best,” Di Paolo tweeted. “In my opinion, it’s a total overreaction on their part, but these are the times we live in. Don’t worry I will resurface soon. Thx for all your support!”

other misfired jokes could make case of being a victim of the times, but not so much this one. this is just playing victim.

what i loved about Patrice is he could admit fault and take responsibility.
I read that as him admitting he was wrong, but being a little bit of a prick about about it- but he's a prick, so that's kind of expected.

You made an accusation and didn't include any justification. I've seen you in many threads take the same position. You don't get to pick and choose when to apply principles. This is the actual grownup perspective.
Then yell at your display screen about what a hypocrite I am. I don't care. You're only in this thread to flash your cunt. I've seen it. Four times now. It's a boring cunt.

I read that as him admitting he was wrong, but being a little bit of a prick about about it- but he's a prick, so that's kind of expected.

its really why i never gave him the time of day if there weren't other comedians bantering with him.

you want minorities and everyone else to man the fuck up, then don't do it yourself? see ya.

Back