We keep seeing lockdown on Sherdog. Khabib now using it. How many of you are going into work?

My take...

Firstly Khabib/Tony - UFC roster on the whole, sports people and entertainment industry, non essential in any degree, stay the fuck home and keep safe, that's what any sensible person with the option to will do.

Over here in the UK it's a clusterfuck, the company I work for in vehicle production has closed, all staff at home either on furlough or a wfh basis, likely to stay closed for another three weeks at least.

A friend of mine working for a different company in electrical production is still in work because his company says he has to, completely under duress but if he doesn't work or self isolates for an extended period he will find himself unemployed, he wishes he could stay home because he feels exposed and unsafe.

The UK government has not forced non essential services to close and we are not in total lock down, like a lot of the UK government decisions it's a half arse piss poor attempt at sticking a band aid over a gaping wound.

Short of food stores, emergency services, essential services (utility companies etc) I would rather everything else closed up and battened down the hatches to try and ride through the rough times ahead.

I'm an mma fan, stated watching around 2003 and think the Franklin/Tanner fight was the first I recall watching, I couldn't give a flying fuck who has what belt any longer, If I was Beeb, or Tony or anyone who could financially ride this out from a distance you bet your last fucking breath I would, I have children I want to watch grow and I have friends I want to share good times with, I got to sit my arse on a sofa for 6 months so be it.

*cliffs - we should all be more focused on friends and family than anything else right now. stay home, stay safe, fuck the ufc.

Umm yes he he kinda would. You do realise this is the entertainment business/ sport?
The keys difference being with the ufc cards shutdown we don't get entertained,
and when all those services you mentioned get shut down, the world will really go to shit. At the end the of the day it's just entertainment and a secondary need, and those services run HAVE to because these are vital to us to survive and function.

I have been working so far. I like it.

I truly believe if Khabib wanted to fight in the US he could. Private jet was already offered.

The level of stupid here is no surprise.

No one who's going to work spends their time on top of another person or close enough to punch them in the face.
How many times to you see saliva coming from the mouth of a fighter?

Sure keep the fights going but put the fighters in full hazmat suits and the ref too.

Im still going in, leaving right now for work.

All the people working should feel blessed right now, and save your money, I have a feeling things will be selling CHEAP when this is all over..

to be fair, i do know quite a few people out of work too. And everyone I named in my first post was related to medical, water, security of facilities or provides services to construction (hvac, flooring) which has been deemed necessary
Ok that make a bit more sense. I think we're a bit stricter here. Because my girlfriend, who is a therapist for autistic kids, is completely out of work as well.

I truly believe if Khabib wanted to fight in the US he could. Private jet was already offered.

And he fights after self quarantining for 14 days in a hotel room?
Sure they could get him to the US but not in the condition to fight when the fight happens, if it happens and where ever it happens.

It's very simple, the UFC has handled this appallingly badly. It should have been called off like every other sport. Holding it in an empty arena would be a waste of a fight.

I saw Khabib's instagram post recently about how whole countries are in lockdown. Celebrities and famous sports athletes are in lockdown.

Khabib isn't the only one to talk about country lockdowns
but
What does that really mean?

I am making this thread while I am at work.

I haven't stopped working since the virus came into the media's sight.
I will continue to have to go to work.
Millions and millions of people still have to go into work, from country to country. Not work from home, but actually go into work.

People make it seem like no one is going into work, which is false.
I know many others personally that are still having to go into work.

I live in Wisconsin and work in a homeless shelter.
I still have to go into work just like my boss and co workers.
I go to the grocery store the same as normal and there are people working there.
I still go to the gas station to get things like normal.
Pizza is still being delivered to people's houses.
I have friends that are still going into work.

People act like the word lockdown means absolutely nothing is in operation. That isn't true.

If you don't want to fight and you fear for your safety then just keep it at that, but don't go about it like if you fight you'd be the only one going into work.
I'm still working sadly

And he fights after self quarantining for 14 days in a hotel room?
Sure they could get him to the US but not in the condition to fight when the fight happens, if it happens and where ever it happens.

It's very simple, the UFC has handled this appallingly badly. It should have been called off like every other sport. Holding it in an empty arena would be a waste of a fight.
okay luke thomas you know best

I saw Khabib's instagram post recently about how whole countries are in lockdown. Celebrities and famous sports athletes are in lockdown.
but

Millions and millions of people still have to go into work, from country to country. Not work from home, but actually go into work.

I go to the grocery store the same as normal and there are people working there.

People act like the word lockdown means absolutely nothing is in operation. That isn't true.

If you don't want to fight and you fear for your safety then just keep it at that, but don't go about it like if you fight you'd be the only one going into work.
Not going to add to the who is ducking who, just wanted to say that’s awesome and thank you for working in a homeless shelter.
Cheers.

Independent contractors are still working, I seen some builders and construction workers still working on a home a few blocks away from me.

Yeah when I go to the laundry mat I pass a house that has a crew doing roof work. They been there at least two weeks now.
It is only a few people though, under 10.

Im still going in, leaving right now for work.

All the people working should feel blessed right now, and save your money, I have a feeling things will be selling CHEAP when this is all over..
Bro you aint scared? did they at least provide you a hazmat suit and mask?

Only people working in most of the country are essential workers. Pretty much anyone else who can't work from home is s.o.l. My previous job has been laying people off like crazy to try and save money.

Your job is considered essential which is why you are working. Food, groceries, and medical care cannot be shut down for obvious reasons
I’m still having to work full time and I work in freight forwarding(logistics)! Not sure how it qualifies for essential work, but hey least I’m out the house

Yeah when I go to the laundry mat I pass a house that has a crew doing roof work. They been there at least two weeks now.
It is only a few people though, under 10.
yeah, the people working on the house are 5

But whats weird is they say under groups of 10, but postal service packing and sorting warehouses in Cali have sometimes up to 200 employees working at a time there sorting items, and many of them are not wear hazmat suits or masks and gloves.

I’m still having to work full time and I work in freight forwarding(logistics)! Not sure how it qualifies for essential work, but hey least I’m out the house
Shipping is considered essential especially if you're sending our necessities, medical supplies, or some such nonesense

I work in manufacturing and im considered essential. But that doesnt mean this fight should go on. I think Dana didnt want to cancel it because of the history of this matchup not happening, but cancelling the card at this point is the right thing to do.

but

it's like a poem. but....not.

I'm working, got cut from 48hrs to 40. That's a big chunk of my paycheck missing...but...i'm still working. I'M ESSENTIAL!

I am working at home, doing kind of a training measure/school.

Of the people I know in Germany only essntial jobs are still going to their work like truck mechanics, therapists, doctors, people working at grocery stores, gas stations....and TV reporters.
Most other people, are at home either in home office or "Kurzarbeit"(transl. short work) which means that the state is giving you 60% of your wage for the hours you don´t work (some employers give you an addition so you get closer to your normal wage, but not all)

So nearly everyone working in non essential manufacturing or stores is at home (e.g. BMW, VW are closed as are stores for clothing, hardware, electronics...)

Back