Were Matt Mitrione and Brendan Schaub A Level Athletes???

Both of them got KO'd by a true A level athlete

nelson.gif

n2g4gg_medium.gif

get-in-my-belly-roy-nelson.gif

Those standing right hand ground -and-pound punches he's hitting Mitrione with are ferocious. Prime Roy hit so damn hard

Hardy - He was huge, but obviously put ZERO effort into MMA in terms of getting in shape, technique etc. He had no skill.

Schaub - He's also a large human being and was still pretty bad in terms of technique, but I think he was legitimately working out full-time at an MMA gym and he had great coaches. Still, he was like a college football backup. He's mostly a testament to how bad HW was/is in the UFC. How many large college football players attempt MMA and fail? It seems like few to none even bother trying.

Mitrione - Better athlete, put more effort into MMA than Hardy, still fairly average MMA-wise. Started MMA late. When he lost to Schaub he was basically still an MMA noob and already 34.

In short: HW sucks. They all suck/sucked.

Overall I'd rank them, at their best: Mitrone - Schaub - Hardy.

I always thought mitrione was decent. Took to the sport well and moved very well for a big fella. But there’s a reason they didn’t make it in the nfl. They weren’t the elite of the elite. Schaub was whatever. He developed some good skills, but often fought like a bonehead

I think Matt Mitrione is quite possibly the best a-level athlete to ever make the transition into mma. He had zero combat sports background and yet still went straight into the ufc and did really well for himself until near the end of his career.
Did Karate as a kid. Not True!

No, they weren't athletic or explosive enough. Greg Hardy was an A level athlete though.
For being an NFL all star Hardy sure didn't look all that athletic. Slow, flat footed, and lumbering. I'd say in MMA Mitrione certainly was more athletic than Hardy. Better movement, faster, better foot work and better cardio. What makes someone a great athlete in NFL doesn't necessarily translate to MMA and other combat sports.

This A-Level athlete business is mostly nonsense. Yes most athletes in major sports are genetically gifted in ways that most MMA fighters are not. But those genetic gifts and the years of high level training that refine them for one sport are not a magic pass to greatness in all sports. And in MMA it's worse because you need to be decent at too many different skills.

Mitrione was a better athlete than Schaub and a much more natural fighter, Mitrione was very agile, coordinated and powerful, he also moved very well, pretty light on his feet.

Mitrione was actually in the NFL too unlike Schaub who wasn't good enough to make the practice squad. Schaub was probably the stronger of the two though and his combine stats were decent but he seemed a bit uncoordinated.

Last edited:
Mitrione was a better athlete than Schaub and a much more natural fighter, Mitrione was very agile, coordinated and powerful, he also moved very well pretty light on his feet.

Mitrione was actually in the NFL too unlike Schaub who wasn't good enough to make the practice squad. Schaub was probably the stronger of the two though and his combine stats were decent but he seemed a bit uncoordinated.
Bappa could kick the shit out of Tom Brady

For being an NFL all star Hardy sure didn't look all that athletic. Slow, flat footed, and lumbering. I'd say in MMA Mitrione certainly was more athletic than Hardy. Better movement, faster, better foot work and better cardio. What makes someone a great athlete in NFL doesn't necessarily translate to MMA and other combat sports.

I appreciate how old your account is.

Both of them got KO'd by a true A level athlete

nelson.gif

n2g4gg_medium.gif

get-in-my-belly-roy-nelson.gif
His decline was sad to see. Could still take the punishment, but couldn't really dish it out like he used too. I wish he would have tried to pivot to his grappling towards the end. See if that could have gotten him a few more W's.

I'm a huge fan of Fedor but he is extremely overrated. Beating Fedor is not a big accomplishment. Even a low level fighter like Maldonado beat him up.

Back