What am I missing? - Jones' Asking Price

you got a quote for that? Cuz Jones seems to be asking for closer to $15 million.

All things considered, when Winkeljohn looks at some of the massive paychecks some boxing stars receive for big money fights, he believes that half of $100 million is not an unreasonable ask.

“I don’t see why it wouldn’t be a $50-million fight,” Winkeljohn asserted. “…I think the UFC needs a superstar like Jon Jones. I think Conor was the guy for a while, and he’s fallen off, but those big names is what makes the UFC money, ultimately.”

https://www.mmanews.com/2021/03/jon-joness-coach-estimates-ngannou-vs-jones-to-be-worth-50-million/

Please defend this. I could use a good laugh

Reactions: HHJ
Didn't realize he said that. But that's also not negotiating. Winkeljohn is his trainer, not his manager. His manager handles negotiations in all likelihood. I'll also point out that his manager is also Derrick Lewis' manager and undercutting Jones for Lewis.

I also don't take Kavanaugh's bullshit as fighter pay negotiations. Coaches coach, they don't negotiate.
imho, Conor's purse should be considered the (generous) UPPER limit of what Jones might expect.

Yes, the fight between Jones i Ngannou is arguably much more interesting to true MMA fans and MMA enthusiast, but it still won't generate as much revenue as Conor.

So, I doubt Dana will be outrageously generous...
If Conor is also underpaid, why would we use his purse as an upper limit for what Jones deserves?
Has the UFC ever paid a fighter more based on negotiations in public? The only instance I am aware of is Jorge but thats because Jorge filled in last minute. I don't recall a fighter ever getting a good deal by using the public against them for leverage.
Nate Diaz I believe.
Where does this 55m revenue number comes from for UFC 200? The reported gate alone was 10 million. Add in a million pay per views plus sponsors, tv deals, etc...

UFCs numbers are always so shady. At least if they go public everyone will know how much they actually make.
Short answer: UFC documents from the lawsuit.
Longer answer: Hal Singer (expert witness for plaintiffs) was given UFC financials to analyze wage share for fighters. The judge is likely to rule in the fighters' favor and has been slowly releasing documents. So we got a breakdown of a couple UFC ppvs. For UFC 200 it was 55 million in total revenue, 13 million for the event, 20 for the fighters. This is an underperforming PPV profit wise (overly stacked card and massive production costs, but event only did a million buys about).

The fact is, many fighters are willing to snake each other for a pay cheque.
Jones won't fight n Dana will shrug off any question about him saying 'if you want the fight then take it, we offered more than any other organisation' blah blah.

He doesn't want the fight. That's all there is to it. Winklejohn said recently Jones should get $50 million for the fight.

Fifty million fucking dollars.

Absolutely absurd. They don't want the fight and it's more and more obvious each and every day.

Jones is ducking and anyone defending him is an idiot
Yup this is basically it.
I can see Jones fighting other HW's but I do not think he has the stones to fight Ngannou. He really did NOT want to fight Reyes again, so he used the "I cleared out the LHW division" as an excuse, and said he is going to HW.

So...let's see it! Take a HW fight Jon. Come on now...

Wait, Khabib made more than Conor?
Didn't Conor make around 30 million for that fight? (serious question)

As far as Jones:
Let's say I work at a company. I mess up so many times and cost the company so much money as he does I either:
Just keep my mouth shut and be happy with what I get paid (in his case a high salary by industry standards) or I change company.

Just think about how much money the canceled event cost the UFC.
Or how much it cost to change the location of an entire event.
And how many favors they had to ask for to get him back after the failed tests.
All that money could have been his. All that energy could have been put into promoting him. But both was used to get him out of trouble numerous times.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve more based on his accomplishments or his skill.

All I'm saying is he should be realistic about his position within the company.

UFC 200, Jul 9, 2016.

Total Revenue: $55,279,396
Other Costs: $12,848,217
Fighter Compensation: $19,905,008
Total Costs: $32,753,225

Brock's purse was 2.5m.

Yeah, so Brock made 2.5m (I assume he was the highest paid athlete there) and others even less. All the fighters combined made less than 20 million while the company pocketed 22M and change. And I'm sure there are events where this has been even more lopsided in the UFCs favor.

And yes, I'm aware that 22M and change won't just go to the owners and Danas salary, they have obviously have a lot or expenditures outside of these event costs as well, but I still believe their biggest stars should make more money than Dana White does. Well, at least depending how often they fight, but if Dana earns 20M a year in salary alone, I think their bigger stars should make more than that in 3-4 fights and the biggest stars in 2 fights. And I'm not counting Conor. He's a special case.

Jones is trying to price himself out of the fight IMO.

It really looks like that. Ngannou will look for similar purse as champ and with the ESPN deal restricting the PPV revenue, UFC can't just throw money at him to make the fight. Its just not commercial

Where does this 55m revenue number comes from for UFC 200? The reported gate alone was 10 million. Add in a million pay per views plus sponsors, tv deals, etc...

UFCs numbers are always so shady. At least if they go public everyone will know how much they actually make.

The UFC doesn't get the full gate and PPV numbers in its pockets, they have to pay the venue, the PPV providers, the staff, etc.

Dude...they are never ever paying Lewis that. He's lucky if he gets a million as a challenger.
Yep,Cormier got 4 million to fight him on short notice,im sure lewis didnt get anywhere near that.
(530k)

Wait, Khabib made more than Conor?
Didn't Conor make around 30 million for that fight? (serious question)

As far as Jones:
Let's say I work at a company. I mess up so many times and cost the company so much money as he does I either:
Just keep my mouth shut and be happy with what I get paid (in his case a high salary by industry standards) or I change company.

Just think about how much money the canceled event cost the UFC.
Or how much it cost to change the location of an entire event.
And how many favors they had to ask for to get him back after the failed tests.
All that money could have been his. All that energy could have been put into promoting him. But both was used to get him out of trouble numerous times.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve more based on his accomplishments or his skill.

All I'm saying is he should be realistic about his position within the company.
He probably doesnt care what he really deserves,and even if he did,im sure he believes he is worth more than anyone. You can see how he gets pissed whenever someone thinks Khabib is better than him for example.

There is a method to this madness though. He can always blame the UFC for this fight not happening,and going back down to fight Jan would still be a big fight. Jones has alot of shitty fans that dont care how many roids he is on,or how many orphanges he personally burned down,they will swallow his excuse for not fighting Ngannou hook line and sinker.

Well, I asked 400 million to fight Ngannou and UFC refused, so..... there you go.

I think 8 mil + PPV points over 1 mil is fair for both Francis and Jones while being viable to the UFC. If he's wanting more then he's just being delusional.

I don't know the numbers, but I'd throw in some thoughts: Let's say 70 bucks a PPV does 1 million buys. That's 70 mil with my math, and then you look at revenue from TV deals, ESPN+, merchandise, also the regular video game and Fight Pass earnings they get without paying for likeness, etc. Simple math would say such an event creates close to 100 mil, maybe a 3rd goes to expenses.

I think it's absolutely insane that the promoter banks in over half of gained revenue. A promoter's role in the beginning was to get a venue, not to be the main attraction. That the revenue split is something like 85/15. Which is how they offer these contracts. And they can offer them because it's not a big deal who fights for the belt for the money they make.

Unless it's Conor, Brock or Ronda. Conor's real numbers are in the 8 figures. According to Forbes, with all his other ventures, his total earnings from UFC 229 were around 45 million. Yet a guy who nets that much says he's underpaid. That's what Jones is referring to, regardless of his intentions.

Last edited:
That the revenue split is something like 85/15

With your quick calculation, the revenue is 66 millions and 15% of that is 9,9 millions. Jones already asks for more than that, plus PPV points, and that's not even counting his opponent and the other fighters on the card.

With your quick calculation, the revenue is 66 millions and 15% of that is 9,9 millions. Jones already asks for more than that, plus PPV points, and that's not even counting his opponent and the other fighters on the card.

That's what I mean. Jones is asking for a share of total revenue. He doesn't ask for the 85/15 revenue split to be fine with him.

What you're missing is all fighters are grossly underpaid. He's looking to be FAIRLY compensated. Yes, even top draws are severely underpaid.

He has previously said he makes about $5 million per fight.

A fight with Jones vs Ngannou would sell extremely well, easily over 1 million buys.

I can't see Jones making less than $7.5 million under his current contract.

Fighters in general should be paid more. Period. But the guy making more than everyone else probably shouldn't be the one complaining about his pay.

He doesn't want the fight. That's all there is to it. Winklejohn said recently Jones should get $50 million for the fight.

Fifty million fucking dollars.

Absolutely absurd. They don't want the fight and it's more and more obvious each and every day.

Jones is ducking and anyone defending him is an idiot
Top draws are literally the only guys with the leverage to ask for more. And of course they're more concerned with what they make. Most people DGAF what their peers make, only what they take home. I know when I'm starting at a job or trying to negotiate a raise I sure as hell never, even for a second, worry about what the other employees are getting. That's their concern.

Back