What are some boomer MMA takes that you would still defend as true?

Prime Fedor would have had Francis’s back and choked him out within the first round. Only heavyweight I think would have beaten him in his prime was Cain.
I may agree with this as well actually. Fedor in his prime had a granite chin -- his technique was definnitely not what you'd try to teach someone and was fairly sloppy, but he made it work and it was technical in its own right (not many straight punches, but seemless transitions from striking to clinch work).

prime fedor
prime bj

fucking this

also kevin randleman is still, to this day, the greatest athletic specimen to exist in mixed martial arts
RIP Randleman -- I still consider him my favorite all time fighter besides the fighters I'm friends with -- he probably could've competed at 185 (which he did later in his career) if he changed his training up a little and had a better camp. I love Team Hammer House guys, but I think we can all admit that they perhaps maybe worked a bit too much on wrestling and weight lifting and not quite enough on submissions and conditioning.

Yeah, I'm not even a boomer (I'm Gen X) and I started watching from the beginning...well actually in 1994 when the VHS became available at the video rental stores. Most Pride nostalgists are younger than I am and are the most delusional group on here.

Man, something similar around here. I think I just had some insane luck seeing a UFC 3 VHS at our local rental store in Germany(!) around '98 or '99 at the age of 12. Every saturday my dad used to bring me to the rental store to get some video games for the weekend and one saturday I saw that VHS.. "There are no rules!" - props to my dad for not giving a F and renting that VHS despite the fact it had "for mature audiences only" printed all over the cover. Been hooked to NHB/MMA since then.

Kinda crazy to think that MMA has become some kind of popular here in Germany just some, maybe, 10 years ago and that this 12 year old me had the crazy luck to randomly spot a UFC VHS at a local rental store. We didn't even live in some sort of major city back then so yeah, I'd like to think that it must've been very rare to randomly catch NHB/MMA stuff over here if you were not a hardcore. I consider myself very lucky to have caught on MMA so early. Especially here in Germany.

Fuck, I'm old
<DCrying>

Man, something similar around here. I think I just had some insane luck seeing a UFC 3 VHS at our local rental store in Germany(!) around '98 or '99 at the age of 12. Every saturday my dad used to bring me to the rental store to get some video games for the weekend and one saturday I saw that VHS.. "There are no rules!" - props to my dad for not giving a F and renting that VHS despite the fact it had "for mature audiences only" printed all over the cover. Been hooked to NHB/MMA since then.

Kinda crazy to think that MMA has become some kind of popular here in Germany just some, maybe, 10 years ago and that this 12 year old me had the crazy luck to randomly spot a UFC VHS at a local rental store. We didn't even live in some sort of major city back then so yeah, I'd like to think that it must've been very rare to randomly catch NHB/MMA stuff over here if you were not a hardcore. I consider myself very lucky to have caught on MMA so early. Especially here in Germany.

Fuck, I'm old
<DCrying>

Granted I was on an American base. But I have the same story almost.

I too was living in Germany but I think I was around 9.

My dad's coworker (who was like my surrogate father when it came to sports and "manly" stuff) showed me the old UFC tapes.

I then went to one specific store I can remember and rented all of them up to like 7 or so

When I was watching him in pride, then he went to UFC I kept asking myself why he never kicks, I even counted only 2 kicks that round...Shogun could no televise for sales he had bad knees. He started in the UFC with bad knees. Its too bad cause I agree he would have been the best.
He started kicking a lot when he first fought Lyoto and after he beat him the 2nd time he had to go back in for surgery and he hasn't been the same since unfortunately.

Nope. Prime Jones eats him alive still. He could've had fully functioning titanium knees and Jones would've destroyed him when they fought.
Agree to disagree
<Fedor23>

Respect to Randleman but he did not have the wrestling chops Brock does. Also, while Brock doesnt like to get hit, he's been in there with some hard puchers.

In a ring, maybe Fedor. In a cage, he gets Donkey Kong'd against the cage like Frank Mir.

None of the Pride guys that came to the UFC did real well. That oughta tell you something.
The other pride guys success has nothing to do with this and to say that the ufcs heavyweights like randy and tim were anything compared to crocop and nog is just embarrassing. Imagine if shane carwin had fedors ground game...brock was highly over rated and relied on his size and had the most awkward gnp I've ever seen. Fedor would have made him panic and I see no reason why brocks wrestling would be any better than fedors sambo. Cain proved brock is nothing special other than he had the ufc's favor.

-MMA takes no skill, it’s just bar fighting in a cage.

-I know over 3 guys in my neighborhood who would be champion with 3 months of training

-Andy Wang… That guy is a warrior.

Granted I was on an American base. But I have the same story almost.

I too was living in Germany but I think I was around 9.

My dad's coworker (who was like my surrogate father when it came to sports and "manly" stuff) showed me the old UFC tapes.

I then went to one specific store I can remember and rented all of them up to like 7 or so

Wild times, huh? This crazy thing called Internet was just becoming a thing and I remember it was very hard for me to keep up with everything related to MMA at that time - often just being able to read results and watch pictures of a fight. I still sticked to it because I literally fell in love with it. Like I said, I consider myself really lucky to have witnessed most of MMA history "live" more or less. I don't want to brag about it because there is nothing skillwise involved. It was pure luck.

Wild times, huh? This crazy thing called Internet was just becoming a thing and I remember it was very hard for me to keep up with everything related to MMA at that time - often just being able to read results and watch pictures of a fight. I still sticked to it because I literally fell in love with it. Like I said, I consider myself really lucky to have witnessed most of MMA history "live" more or less. I don't want to brag about it because there is nothing skillwise involved. It was pure luck.

I completely get you on that, plus there's that aspect of knowing about this awesome thing no one else knows about. And trying to get friends interested.

Now it's just, "is McGregor still fighting?"

Back