• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What are some cringy things you hear MMA fans say over and over?

“If he wins this fight, he’s the GOAT (insert weight class)”. So you going to rank the entire landscape of a division past, present and future over one fight. What a dumb thing to say or believe. Why not wait till the man finishes his career? People label a fighter GOAT is parroting while thinking it’s some kind of insights. Either that or it’s a quick hype job for a fight.

“I don’t see him winning because he hasn’t fought anybody”. This was a common Islam narrative before fighting Charles. Even people taking Volk because he’s beaten better fighters than Topuria. Of course the challenger will have the less impressive resume. And just because he hasn’t beat anyone doesn’t mean doesn’t have the skills to win. What’s worse is that their opinion is flipped 180 degrees after a fight. They go from “he’s going to lose” before the fight to “he’s going to be champion for a long time” after a fight.

Another one is when people qualify themselves so their opinions look unbiased, but it’s biased in disguise. We all read someone’s post at the beginning and know how it’s going to end. It’ll be like:

“I’m not a fan of _____ but” then proceeds to praise him.

Or

“I’m the biggest _____ fan but” then proceeds to bash him.

I don't agree with your second point.

It's perfectly reasonable to not be a fan of someone but recognise them for something good and vice versa.

I'm not a fan of Conor but can respect the mastery in the way he despatched Aldo and Alvarez.

“He pushed the pace and poured on the pressure so he deserves the win”
for fighters who walk forward and get outstruck

“to be the champ you gotta beat the champ”
for close decisions that the champion shouldn’t have been given (gsp, jones)

When a fighter loses more rounds but had a bigger moment in one round people scream ROBBERY, even when they know it’s round by round scoring
and then they go on to say “the fight should be scored as a whole” not realising that everyone would fight differently if the rules were different

“he won by clinch control”
objectively has zero impact in the judging criteria and subjectively shouldn’t mean anything either

“fighters are getting worse”
no they’re not, they’re getting better, you’re just nostalgic

I've never once seen anyone use the term "clinch control"....

easily the most cringe is "any 200 plus pound man can knock out any other man". Usually the favorite of out of shape 240 pound guys that walk around like they're a fucking bear

what you think you look like

9f9fa20d131729eccd02957d9dc2539a.gif

what you actually look like

peter-griffin-family-guy-crab-walk-31yjpm1u5s7b6547.gif

It's cringe when people act like a fighter can't fight, just because they don't like them, like people trying to pretend that Colby or Garry don't beat the shit out of 99% of welterweights that have ever existed

There was a thread about Jones going to prison a while back, where some were genuinely arguing that Jon Jones could kick the shit out of ten dudes at once in prison, "Raid 2" styles. Great fighter. Not a literal superhero.

easily the most cringe is "any 200 plus pound man can knock out any other man". Usually the favorite of out of shape 240 pound guys that walk around like they're a fucking bear

To be fair, Peter Griffin is a tough motherfucker. Have you seen his fights with the big chicken?

I saw it happen after the garry neal fight
“garry was winning the striking but neal had the clinch control I think you go neal”.
plus i think rogan said something like that too
Rogan's really hard to listen to nowadays, way to bias and seems to have trouble keeping up with the fights.
I honestly really hope he retires from commentary soon but it doesn't seem likely

Everything is “sneaky” good or “low key” banger. Just stop.

pencil neck twink detected

Every time there's a lanky fighter like Sean O'Malley or Conor McGregor, people love to say that they aren't actually powerful, just precise.

If precision alone could get knockouts then Wonderboy would be the knockout leader. Sherdoggers have a hard time with the fact that a lanklet like Sean could be naturally powerful.

Back