What are the best ways to take down someone who's bigger than you?

tonystpierre

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
What are the best takedowns against a bigger guy? I assume Single Leg is up there but what other ones?

I always found high ankle picks. Now this never works when I do it but judo side leg sweep when my opponent tries to throw me forward always seems to work.

I like Uchi mata, tai otoshi e a variation of harai goshi (wich I forgot the name).

Koshi Guruma but you drop on one knee and when the guy is on the air you use the downed knee to heap the legs this is way it looks like a harai goshi.

Low single is the most effective giant killer in terms of the actual finishing mechanics, it doesn't presume any real ability to move their bodyweight around. John Smith style with the head inside is probably the stronger takedown for pure grappling with less risk of ending up in bad positions, Sakuraba-style with the head outside a bit less likely to get your face kicked or kneed if that's a consideration.

Ko uchi gari works well. Maybe also a sag headlock if you get the opportunity.

There is also this Hapkido takedown i don't know the name of because i have never seen a consistent technique terminology in that style. You grab both shoulders from behind and step into the back of their knee while pulling him backwards down to the ground.

I like Uchi mata, tai otoshi e a variation of harai goshi (wich I forgot the name).
Koshi Guruma but you drop on one knee and when the guy is on the air you use the downed knee to heap the legs this is way it looks like a harai goshi.

With the exception of Tai Otoshi, none of these throws are optimal against a larger opponent.

Russian tie take downs are my go-to. Usually try to snap down to get them to put their hands on the mat then slide to the back or an inside trip if they square up.

There's also this

And as others have said low singles work well. Just make sure you do not get sprawled on.

In general take advantage of the fact you can probably level change much quicker than they can. Chain snap downs and shots. If you can snap them down to get their hands on the mat great run around. If they posture up strong attack that single. Here's an example of what I'm talking about

https://youtube.com/shorts/bt_0TRZpzJs?feature=share

Notice how he is trying to snap down and slide to the back. Also tried an inside trip from the clinch. When he shoots he keeps working an angle so he doesn't get sprawled on. You do not want a big guy on top of you. He isn't stationary at the beginning when he shoots. Eventually he takes the back after baiting a shot which forces a sprawl then he changes level to go up top and attack the back. Kind of combines everything above (except the Russian tie)

Last edited:
With the exception of Tai Otoshi, none of these throws are optimal against a larger opponent.

I was about to say. Uchi mata especially is not effective against someone who is much taller and heavier than you.

maybe if the shorter person did the classic Uchi mata to ankle pick combo, but a skilled opponent will be aware of that.

I was about to say. Uchi mata especially is not effective against someone who is much taller and heavier than you.

maybe if the shorter person did the classic Uchi mata to ankle pick combo, but a skilled opponent will be aware of that.

It can and does work, but it certainly isn't optimal. And you're either looking at a low ken ken uchimata or a deep hane goshi-esque uchimata. It's certainly not a technique I'd advise if someone asked specifically for techniques against larger opponents (which OP did) - I'd advocate for seoi nage, seoi otoshi, kata guruma, tai otoshi . . . but not uchimata, koshi guruma, and harai goshi.

Oh... This are my go to moves and im usually the smaller guy. So they kind work for me. Single leg also works I guess.

Foot sweeps in general are excellent at this, assuming you can use them well. If your timing is good, you don't have to do much to off balance them at all.

For some examples of this in action, we can look at Keiji Suzuki, who was relatively small for the +100 kg division in Judo. He was well known for using ashi waza to win:

Also, while this isn't technically a foot sweep (no sweeping motion), but is ashi waza, Yasuyuki Muneta's sasae here is a thing of beauty:

Here are a couple of videos of each of them demonstrating how they do their techniques on the Kodokan Youtube page:

What are the best takedowns against a bigger guy? I assume Single Leg is up there but what other ones?

Single leg is way down there, in most variations. The last thing you want is someone big and heavy sprawling out on top of you.

Techniques that involve manipulating the position of your opponent and yourself relative to each other are effective, such as duck unders, slide-bys, and throw-bys.

Techniques that attack the back angle are effective, such as duck unders, sweep singles, and cross ankle picks.

Techniques that can be attacked and continually reattacked without 'selling out' by compromising your base or loading the opponent on top of you are effective, like snap downs, knee taps, de ashi barai, slide-bys, and throw-bys.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back