What can you do about arthritis?

bobbyhated

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i have been diagnosed with arthritis in my shoulder and degenerative hip disease, which is bad arthritis in the hips. im only 31 and the dr. said i have the arthritis of a 60 something year old man in my hips and a 40 something man in my shoulder. they said its genetic.

i been taking cosamin ds and calcium mag since i was diagnosed, and i just started taking cissus.

is there anything else i could be doing or taking to help fight this shit?

thanks guys.

fish oil, and if you already take it then more fish oil.

Arthritis is an auto-immune disorder, causing massive inflammation.

Google "celiac + arthritis", and you'll find a shitload of interesting stuff. And if you're already thinking "Well this is useless, I'm not a celiac or gluten intolerant", think again.

I have psoriatic arthritis in my left knee. It was so bad at one point, that I couldn't get out of bed in the morning to go to school. My knee as so inflamed for such a long period of time, that I have developed little stretchmarks on the upper left side of the knee cap. After being started on remicade, there is no pain or inflammation. My knee is damaged, however. I can't put it through it's full range of motion without hearing sickening crackles.

I suggest going on a paleo based diet. Take a vitamin d supplement, also. Make sure it is d-3 and comes in a gel cap.

I finally get to return to training tomorrow, after almost a year of complete pain and inactivity!

Luckily hip and shoulder resurfacing are surgeries that allow athletes to keep on keeping on within reason. My only advice is to maintain flexiblity because that is the beginning and the end of any joint disease. Also my ortho says that when we get old arthritis will be fear of the past. I've been using this and there is real research to back it up. It's cheap enough to try:

TESTOSTERONE NATION - Curcumin 500

Google "celiac + arthritis", and you'll find a shitload of interesting stuff. And if you're already thinking "Well this is useless, I'm not a celiac or gluten intolerant", think again.
I've never heard of that connection before. It must have been on one of the pages that I slept through in GCBC.

Thanks for the post Mr. Martial.

for a condition of that nature you're always going to get better advice from a physician than on a forum ffs. chronic inflammation, however, can be treated in a variety of ways depending on the level of intrusiveness you are willing to accept.

Cancer is an auto-immune disease. Most forms of illness are auto-immune.

I've never heard of that connection before. It must have been on one of the pages that I slept through in GCBC.

Thanks for the post Mr. Martial.

I don't think Taubes talks about it in GCBC, but I could be wrong.

JRT6 said:
Cancer is an auto-immune disease. Most forms of illness are auto-immune.

I'll easily agree that most form of illness have a basis of auto-immunity; Robb Wolf touched on this brielfy in his seminar, and listed sickle cell anemia and one other disease process that I can't recall as the very few that don't have an auto-immune basis. I wish he would have gone more into it.

MY extremely simplistic take on it is that auto-immunity breeds inflammation, and inflammation breeds disease; inflammation as a starting point, on the other hand, has the potential to instigate a disease process alone, without auto-immunity, but (to make things even clearer) inflammation can also be the starting point of an auto-immune process through molecular mimicry. Have a cup of coffee or two and think about that.

for a condition of that nature you're always going to get better advice from a physician than on a forum ffs.

I completely and highly disagree with that comment; the OP will recieve zero advice on nutrition or causative factor for his arthritis, and all his GP will do is throw some rx NSAIDs at him and tell him to "lay off the heavy" exercise.

As best, his might send him to a rheumatologist, and then he *may* receive some better care aimed at treating the cause versus symptoms.

i have been diagnosed with arthritis in my shoulder and degenerative hip disease, which is bad arthritis in the hips. im only 31 and the dr. said i have the arthritis of a 60 something year old man in my hips and a 40 something man in my shoulder. they said its genetic.

what arthritic condition are your family members in?

actually my dr. explained that to me, its called rheumatoid arthritis (spelling?). its where your immune system attacks your cartilidge.

thats not what i have. what i have is the degenerative kind thats due to a genetic mutation some people have and most dont.

fish oil, and if you already take it then more fish oil.

oh i hadnt heard that before. but since i generally agree with most of your other posts on the forum, and im already taking fish oil, i'll up my dosage.

thanks.

what arthritic condition are your family members in?

my mom's side of the family has arthritis. her, my aunt, and my grandma.

but id ont think any of them had it as early as i do. then again theyre all female, and they never abused their bodies the way i do.

the dr. said that was clear evidence of it being genetic.

Luckily hip and shoulder resurfacing are surgeries that allow athletes to keep on keeping on within reason. My only advice is to maintain flexiblity because that is the beginning and the end of any joint disease. Also my ortho says that when we get old arthritis will be fear of the past. I've been using this and there is real research to back it up. It's cheap enough to try:

TESTOSTERONE NATION - Curcumin 500

never heard of that stuff. got a link to the research citation?

never heard of that stuff. got a link to the research citation?

The article on t-nation links an article by menshealth.com that quotes world famous cancer center in Houston TX, MD Anderson. While there aren't any directly linked studies by Anderson that hospital is the single reason why an immediate family member of mine is still alive so I really give them a lot of credit.

There are 70 or so different kind of arthritis (or some suprisingly high number) and while RM is caused from the start by an auto-immune malfunction even regular ole osteo that us athletes give ourselves becomes an auto-immune problem once the wear and tear has started.

I went to a RM doctor who did a few blood tests and x-rays and determined that my causes weren't RM based. Because I have arthritis in same places my dad has them and the fact it is symetrical on both sides of my body it has been determined that mine is from overuse. But like I said I have it in the exact same areas as my dad and some of the areas are not a common place for arthritis so genetics does play a role IMO.

To further what Mike said about doctors saying don't so shit when you have arthritis I'm thankfull my ortho dose not take this postion at all and encourages me to workout and live my life.

The article on t-nation links an article by menshealth.com that quotes world famous cancer center in Houston TX, MD Anderson. While there aren't any directly linked studies by Anderson that hospital is the single reason why an immediate family member of mine is still alive so I really give them a lot of credit.

There are 70 or so different kind of arthritis (or some suprisingly high number) and while RM is caused from the start by an auto-immune malfunction even regular ole osteo that us athletes give ourselves becomes an auto-immune problem once the wear and tear has started.

I went to a RM doctor who did a few blood tests and x-rays and determined that my causes weren't RM based. Because I have arthritis in same places my dad has them and the fact it is symetrical on both sides of my body it has been determined that mine is from overuse. But like I said I have it in the exact same areas as my dad and some of the areas are not a common place for arthritis so genetics does play a role IMO.

To further what Mike said about doctors saying don't so shit when you have arthritis I'm thankfull my ortho dose not take this postion at all and encourages me to workout and live my life.

thanks man. i appreciate the thought you put into that.

my arthritis isnt symmetrical though. its both my hips, but only my left shoulder and left wrist. both the shoulder and wrist have had surgery, and i was told by both dr.'s that i might see an early onset of arthritis as a result. my mom and aunt have it in their knees and hands and what not. same for grandma.

i basically got the same advice from my dr., which was do as much as i can stand the pain and inflamation of doing. which is alot for me. the only things i cant do, or dont want to try to until i get back my strength after being out the gym for a month are some chest and shoulder press exercises. i just been doing pushups and flys on a stability ball which works for me. i havent regained enough strength yet to escape a full mount by hip pressing the guy off me, and i tap early to a kimura on the bad side, but other than that i'm cool to roll and spar.

the hip dr. told me i'll need a double resurface in 5-10 years, but to wait as long as i can before i get it. he said my range of motion will actually be better after i get the resurfacing, but to ride out my own body for as long as possible, because they might improve on techniques or technology in the next 5-10 years.

the wrist and shoulder dr.'s said its not worth doing anything at this point or in the forseeable future because its only in the early stages.

You might try one of the different diets to see if that helps. It isn't much fun changing diets. Removing wheat or dairy products from what you eat for a month trial might be beneficial. At least I've read testimonials of others mentioning that diet changes have helped arthritis. Best of luck.

You might try one of the different diets to see if that helps. It isn't much fun changing diets. Removing wheat or dairy products from what you eat for a month trial might be beneficial. At least I've read testimonials of others mentioning that diet changes have helped arthritis. Best of luck.

+1

Auto-immune paleo(AIP) diet helped me out a lot since I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis last summer. Difficult to follow but it really worked well for me.

+1

Auto-immune paleo(AIP) diet helped me out a lot since I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis last summer. Difficult to follow but it really worked well for me.

what are you eating nowadays after the beginnng stage? this diet is hard.

the version i found has also no eggs, no nuts, no seeds, no solanum veggies...

you eat just fruit, veggies, meat, fish?

Back